The leap of faith
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyreth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: The leap of faith Reply with quote

I've been using Linux for years, and the last year or 2 I've been using it easily 99% of the time I spend on the computer. The only reason I kept windows was for games.

Recently however I installed gentoo on my younger cousin's computer, who plays games more often than me. He was more excited to try out winex.

I was impressed with what I saw. Warcraft 3 runs close to windows speed, Counterstrike does too. I already have Quake 3 and will have NWN. So I have enough games.

So I decided today that I'd remove windows once and for all, and use my 40gig hard disk for purely Linux. I'd keep my original 2gig C: disk as a blank, so I can temporarily install other distro's or OS's temporarily when I feel like experimenting without losing something I have. I'll have my windows d: (25gig) as my /home dir now, and keep the 10gig disk for the rest of the partition - software, etc.

So I was wondering, where am I going to keep all my music and movies? I don't want them in my personal home directory, because I want them accessable to other users on my system. So I was thinking I'd add a music group and a movies group. I'd give everyone read access to the directories they are in, and a few select people write access also by adding them to that group. But where do I put them? How do you guys structure your gentoo system? /home/share/music, or /home/music, /usr/local/share/music, /usr/share/music, /usr/local/music, or something else?

What's a good structure for these sorts of large data deposits? At the moment games are put into /usr/local/games but I don't like that, it's too deep. What about /home/games?

I'd love to hear people's thoughts.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made the mount point /music, and mount an 80G drive under that. Well, a portion of it. Need to redo the drive layout.
duff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The leap of faith Reply with quote

tyreth wrote:
But where do I put them? How do you guys structure your gentoo system? /home/share/music, or /home/music, /usr/local/share/music, /usr/share/music, /usr/local/music, or something else?
I'd love to hear people's thoughts.

Code:
root@vader: -> ls -l /usr/media/
total 24
drwxr-x---    5 root     media        4096 Sep 21 18:53 movies
drwxr-x---   61 root     media        8192 Oct  2 19:49 music
drwxr-x---   25 root     media        4096 Sep  6 12:33 pictures
drwxr-x---    4 root     media        4096 Sep 21 16:42 tv
drwxr-x---    2 root     media        4096 Sep 21 18:39 videos

I made a /usr/media directory, and a group called media. The media dir and all it's contents are owned by root, in the media group, and chmod'ed to 750, so only root can add and makes sure I don't accidently delete anything under more normal account. Any other user that needs my movies, mp3, etc, just gets added to the media group.

edit: typos
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: