Beginner Having Problems With 2004.2 Stage 3 Installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gentoo409
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Beginner Having Problems With 2004.2 Stage 3 Installation Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm trying to install 2004.2 Stage 3 using the online instructions and having some problems. Everything gets installed and seems to go well. I have a GeForce 2 card so I emerged nvidia-kernel as well, but other than that I just stuck with the instructions. Getting a couple of errors and problems I was wondering if anybody could help me with.

Problem One

During boot, I see this:

Quote:
* Checking root filesystem...
fsck: fsck.xfs: not found
fsck: Error 2 while executing fsck.xfs for /dev/ROOT

Does this mean it's having trouble performing a filesystem check on /dev/ROOT or does it mean it can't find fsck.xfs? I setup my filesystem as suggested in the example of /BOOT on /dev/hda1, the swap on /dev/hda2, and /ROOT on /dev/hda3.

Problem Two

A short time after the problem listed above, I see the following:

Quote:
* Checking all filesystems...
fsck: cannot check /dev/ROOT: fsck.xfs not found
fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/BOOT
/dev/BOOT:
The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem. if the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

* Fsck could not correct all errors, manual repair needed [ !! ]

Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startup):

If login as root and try to run the suggested command line, it just tells me that the superblock is not readible and that's not much help. If I CTRL-D to continue, it continues to boot until it gets to a login prompt.

Problem Three

Also, just before I get through the booting to the login prompt, at the point where it's "starting pci hotplugging", I get the following, repeated about ten times in a row:

Quote:
Missing kernel or user mode driver ich2rom
... can't load module ich2rom

Problem Four

Once all of the above is done and I can login, whether I login as a regular user or root, there seems to be no CD. I can change to /mnt/cdrom but ls-la just reveals a ".keep" file and nothing else. This is when I have the Packages CD in the drive, so there's gotta be something up with that. I'm not sure if this is an fstab issue or what, but here's my fstab in case it helps:

Quote:
dev/BOOT /boot ext2 noauto,noatime
dev/ROOT / xfs noatime
dev/SWAP none swap sw
dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro
#/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto

none /proc proc defaults

Again, please excuse the extreme beginner pain you must be witnessing, but I gotta start somewhere. If there's a better source for me to access regarding troubleshooting this kind of stuff, I'm totally up for advice on links to other resources.

Thanks in advance guys.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you forgot to edit your fstab. See: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#book_part1_chap8

Code:
dev/BOOT /boot ext2 noauto,noatime
dev/ROOT / xfs noatime
dev/SWAP none swap sw

The CAPS are placeholders that should be replaced by the actual partition devices. Like /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2 and /dev/hda3 (or whatever partitions you choose for boot, root and swap space)

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
gentoo409
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god! Of course! How stupid of me.

Okay, that's changed problem two. Now instead of that huge error I was getting before, it says:

Quote:
* Checking all filesystems...
fsck: cannot check /dev/hda3 fsck.xfs not found
/dev/hda1: clean, 33/14056 files, 6078/56196 blocks

...and then it goes on to mount the local filesystem. Not sure if that's okay that it's getting that error or what it even means. The other problems are still occuring though and I'm not sure what to do about them still. Any further assistance would be great.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say the error:
Code:

keeps popping up. Are you sure you are using xfs? If not edit your fstab to display the proper filesystem (ie. etx3, reiser, etc...).

For your error about:
Code:

Are you loading an incorrect module. Did you add this module in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel2.6? If you did it's probably not a valid module and it should be removed.

About your mounting cd problem, are you actually mounting it?
To mount a cd type:
Code:
mount /mnt/cdrom

and to unmount do:
Code:
umount /mnt/cdrom

note that is umount and now unmount.

If you are mounting it, then make sure your cdrom is really cdrom0. Check /dev/cdroms/ for all cdrom devices on your system.
gentoo409
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegpitt wrote:
You say the error:
Code:

keeps popping up. Are you sure you are using xfs? If not edit your fstab to display the proper filesystem (ie. etx3, reiser, etc...).

Yup, it was fstab again. Seems I had /dev/hda3 (my root) listed as xfs instead of ext2, which I assume was a default in fstab from installation or something. Those fsck problems have now completely dissapeared upon fixing fstab.

mikegpitt wrote:
For your error about:
Code:

Are you loading an incorrect module. Did you add this module in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel2.6? If you did it's probably not a valid module and it should be removed.

It doesn't appear to be in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4 or /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 - both appear to be empty, apart from the defaut comment lines in each.

mikegpitt wrote:
About your mounting cd problem, are you actually mounting it?

(hangs head in shame)

Nope. :( I thought it was automounting it when I saw the /dev/cdrom directory. I'm a Windows baby in need of a stern slapping. It works now.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I'm not sure what ich2rom is, or where it is comming from. You coudl try this:
Code:
rmmod ich2rom

to possbily unload the module.

If you don't want to go through the hassle of mounting your cdrom everytime you put it in the drive, you may want to check out supermount. I've never used it, but autodetects drive activity so there is no need to mount yourself.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: