Keyboard layouts
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Keyboard layouts Reply with quote

I want to use the finnish das-keyboard layout. I'd like my keyboard to behave like in this picture. Basically caps lock on switches to a traditional finnish layout. I have a .Xmodmap file that does atleast the two pictures up and right out of the box. How could I approach this problem? I'm using fvwm.

edit: Here's a link in english http://www.students.tut.fi/~seres/DAS_en.html
Tii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bump as I think after this time I'm certainly entitled to one. Basically I'm curious about how to define new keyboard layouts in xorg and console.
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should edit /etc/xorg.conf or Xfree86.conf. In section InputDevice - Keyboard, you should finetune your keyboard layouts.

Option "XkbRules" "xfree" or "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104" (maybe you should try pc105, but I had problems with it - put your keyboard model here, you can see what models X knows if you see /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/geometry dir, there are files like HP or Microsoft, you should find model names in them).
Option "XkbLayout" "hu,ru,fi" (here you can select main layouts. You should find the names in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols directory. You shpuld see here a "fi" name, and can look into pc subdir, too, because sometimes X looks here.)
Option "XkbVariant" "" (the main thing, here you can define that main layout was fi, but you need an alternative fi layout - the names are in above dir. You have to define ariants for all layouts, if you want the default, just leave it, for example:

if XkbModel is "us,hu", you have to give the variant for us and hu, too, but I don't want define it for us, so I put an empty string:

XkbVariant ",101_qwerty_dot"

Variants are in fi file, for example, basic, Sundeadkeys, nodeadkeys, and pc/fi has fi, nodeadkeys.

Option "XkbOptions" "" - here you define modify keys, group switching.
I have this:

"grp:switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"

It tells that I use switching the layouts, with left ALT+Shift, and secondary layouts are indicated by lighting the scroll led.

Alternativelly, the easiest way is to start KDE. Its Control Center shows all available layouts and the variants, which you can test if you like it, and write into the config file.

Sipi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: