[TIP/TRICK] Sync Bookmarks between mulitple computers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: [TIP/TRICK] Sync Bookmarks between mulitple computers Reply with quote

Introduction
This one is pretty basic, I stumpled across when I had the bright idea to centralize my bookmarks between my work, home and laptop.

Just for reference, if you don't use Firefox becuase you don't like, then don't read any further, this Tip requires firefox. If you don't use firefox, and for no particular reason, you should really check it out. It is fast, powerful, and extremely customizalbe

Note: I apologize now for spelling mistakes, the forums need a spell checker :P my spelling is horrible

Section 1: Framework
This is the hardest part this Trick, but still isn't all that bad.

You need 3 things to get this working Firefox, Synchronize Extension, and a server.

I will start with the hardest thing first. You will need a server that you can either connect via ftp , or we webdav enable on it (either http or https will work). You can very easily turn your home pc into one of these, but this is beyond the scope of this Tip, if you need help doing this search the forum and try looking in www.gentoo-wiki.com

Firefox is prety easy to get, If you don't already have it emerge it
Code:
emerge -va firefox
Verify your USE flags then hit 'y' and then <enter> to continue.

After it emerges (if you don't do the -bin, it will take while, so go watch your favorite TV show while you wait). Open firefox and browse here and click on Install Now. Close firefox

You are now done with the framework, time to set everything up.

Section 2: Configuration
It is all down hill from here :P

The first thing you will need to do is create the folder struture on the server you want to store you bookmarks in. For this Tut, my server name with myserver.com and the folder I will put it in is webdav.

Once you get the folder created, start firefox back up again, since we had to close it down to intialize the extension. Click Tools..Extensions and choose the Bookmark Synchronizer and click the options button.

In the options dialog box , choose your protocol. ftp for FTP, http for webdav over HTTP, or https for webdav over HTTPS. I am choosing http. Next enter in the host name for the server in this example it would be just
Code:
myserver.com
then enter the path to where the file is going to be lcoated, inluding the filename. In this case
Code:
/webdav/firefox.xml
. Now enter the username and password fto gain access to the server. Then choose the options you want. I went ahead and choose all 4 of them, hit apply and then click upload.

It should open a box and flash some text in it, if you are a fast reader you might notice what it says if it connects. You can also click download to test it also. If it doesn't work, you will know b/c if you browse to the location via a ftp client or firefox, the folder in which the .xml should of been placed will be empty.

Section 3: Conclusion
This is it, now enjoy the same up-to-date bookaarks no matter your location. Just be sure to set this up at each location :P
val
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I just use rsync to synchronize most of my home directory (work, pictures, music, and mozilla settings including bookmarks and calendar appointments) between my desktop and laptop. I have my list of directories, my rsync options, my domain name so that it works remotely, and everything in one line scripts calles "synctoxena" and "syncfromxena" (syncfromxena also backs up my webpage onto my laptop) in a directory called bin (added to $PATH) under my home directory. I have ssh-agent and keychain set up, so once I've entered my password once, rsync doesn't ask for it. I only have the scripts on my laptop, since it's not always on, it only makes sense to run it from there. When I log in, I do syncfromxena after entering password, then I synctoxena a couple times during the day before I log out and shut down. One thing, I recommend excluding the mozilla cache since it takes a long time and is not important to sync.
rongten
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insanity5902,

I have webdav up and running for sharing calendars, but the
extension for finefox does not want to install,
complaining about version mismatch :cry:

How are you doing at the moment? Any alternative
yet elegant solution?
#1401 @ Associate FSF Membership
Join FSF as an Associate Member!(With Referrer)
What are you waiting for?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: