Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The Official Dumb Mistakes Thread (TM)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russianpirate
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robgrady wrote:
Guess what rm -rf $DESTINATION/$TEMP_DIR turns into when $DESTINATION and $TEMP_DIR do not get defined.

/home/(user) ?
/tmp ?

:roll:
edudlive
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecoffey wrote:
edudlive wrote:
doing a # rm -rf /usr/bin by accident

ouch!

I guess thats why we have LiveCDs :-D

Yeah, it hurt! I got a friend to tar me his /usr/bin but he runs ~x86 and I run x86, so it was a little rough but good enough to reinstall.
lynxnyl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

russianpirate wrote:
robgrady wrote:
Guess what rm -rf $DESTINATION/$TEMP_DIR turns into when $DESTINATION and $TEMP_DIR do not get defined.

/home/(user) ?
/tmp ?

:roll:

If it's not obvious:
Code:

navaden@lynxlynxsp skripte $ echo $DESTINATION/$TEMP_DIR
/
russianpirate
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o i see, empty_var/empty_var = "/".. that would suck to delete... especially /etc since its one of the first! (bin can be reinstalled)
lynxnyl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would suck indeed. :lol:

I'm quite happy these days, but one of my colleagues managed to install busybox with make symlinks over a bLFS install (build took like a month, a slow machine). The system is unbootable now :)
orangeman12
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot the thermal grease and the cpu fried after like 3 seconds i thought it was funny my brother didn't (it was his comp).
luma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I have been reading this thread all day and giggling and sympathise with some of you that is for sure :)

now I just set up a server here with Samba and have it set up as our litlte file server. well the file was server was windows 2k before so I had to change the logon script to include the new linux server. well mine worked great so I told my Girlfriend log out and log back in for me make sure it works, would not work, checked her linux account it works, changed the pass, checked active directory etcetc all is well, after pulling my hair out for 15 minutes I thought of it, smbpasswd -a herusername

oopps :)

Luma
madchaz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: return of the stupid mistake thread Reply with quote

Well, I was trying to find an old one, but it won't come up on the search. Probably because I am having a stupid moment.

This would also help explain, why, while loged in as root, I just did the following in my "normal user" home directory

Code:
rm -rf *

Mind you, this was not on my desktop machine, where the only things in the home directory are configuration files. No, I did that on my file server, where ALL my personal files are stored, including my Documents folder, my story folder and my images folder.

Yep, that's right, short of my anime and music (kept on a different folder as I share those with the entire home network, I just deleted all my files.

The good news is, before I left last week-end, I did a copy of ALL my Documents folder (that contains the images and stories, among others) to my laptop to work while I am away from home. So of that, I had a full backup.

Bad news is I had a backup of my website in my home folder that wasn't on my laptop. That backup was there so that once I was done rebuilding the server, I could copy it back to /var/www....

So bye bye goes my website. Just glad I was planing to re-do it anyway. Funny part is deleting the default files in /var/www/localhost/httdocs is what I "tought" I was doing when I did that rm -rf ... just took me the 3 seconds it took to DO the job to realise that was not where I was ....

So, what was your last stupid mistake?
russianpirate
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
emerge windows
:P jk
andrewd18
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last stupid mistake? Formatting the partition that had my GRUB menu.lst on it (I triple boot WinXP, SuSE, and Gentoo), and then wondering why I couldn't boot into Gentoo anymore.

~~ Andrew D.

There's no place like ::1
WhiteWolfkiba
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most stupid mistake I have ever made with linux. Is spelling kernel "kernal" and spending 4 hours trying to figure out why grub would not load my kernel.

"Es geht mir gut wenn mich gute Musik geflasht hat" - Clueso - Gute Musik
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhiteWolfkiba wrote:
The most stupid mistake I have ever made with linux. Is spelling kernel "kernal" and spending 4 hours trying to figure out why grub would not load my kernel.

Done something similar :wink:
shickapooka800
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

back when i was learning the more remedial things, i spent a few weeks not owning my /home partition as a user, needless to say, i was just plain lost and nothing would work right (i.e. firefox and its ~/.mozilla among other things).

I have also done the what-the-fuck-did-i-name-my-kernal thing plenty of times (i start getting creative, and then i start screwing up quickly).

oh ya a great one -- i could not get my wireless card working for ever, yet i was sure i had it all in order.....

....2 months pass by and then I realize i had not made an iptables ruleset for eth1 (wireless). i didn't even think about bringning the firewall down either -- i wanted to shoot myself in the nuts i felt so stupid.
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhiteWolfkiba wrote:

That's why there's make install. You'll never forget what your kernel is named if it's symlinked to /boot/vmlinuz
MACSRULETHEWORLD
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was trying to set up the ethernet card on my dell, and the bugger just wouldn't work. i wasn't getting any error messages. net-setup eth0 ran just fine, but ifconfig didn't return any entry for eth0, and i couldn't ping anything. i tried for days, doing the same things over and over again, modprobing, using different livecd's, when i finally realized what was wrong. when i first got it, i set up the dell on my desk next to my imac, but needed to run another line into my room to it could connect to the internet. so i grabbed a bunch of miscellaneous cables and patched them together with some rj-45 couplers. in my haste, i had accidentally grabbed a crossover cable. regular ethernet->crossover obviously does not work.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: return of the stupid mistake thread Reply with quote

madchaz wrote:
Well, I was trying to find an old one, but it won't come up on the search. Probably because I am having a stupid moment.

Maybe you searched for stupid, and the thread is called dumb mistakes. ;)
I've merged your post and the replies to this thread.
lovedaddy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Not costly, but did I look stupid Reply with quote

About 8 years ago when I was still a first year student, got back from uni to have my house mate complaining that his cdrom in his PC was acting up.

"plays a bit of the song then seems to skip to the next track"

I was supposed to be the savvy pc user, so I said I'd take a look. Ripped his pc to bits took the CDRom out declairing that there must be something wrong with the motor.

I'd just started to poke about with the inner workings of the cdrom when another house mate walked in and asked what I was upto. My mate explained....

"you sure you dont just have intro play ticked"

I always get reminded of that day when I'm calling either of them stupid :)
madchaz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: return of the stupid mistake thread Reply with quote

amne wrote:
madchaz wrote:

Maybe you searched for stupid, and the thread is called dumb mistakes. ;)
I've merged your post and the replies to this thread.

must be it. As I said, I was in stupid mode at the time ;-)

Thanks
WhiteWolfkiba
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/random wrote:
WhiteWolfkiba wrote:

That's why there's make install. You'll never forget what your kernel is named if it's symlinked to /boot/vmlinuz

Amen, I rather point to the actual kernel image name though so when I upgrade kernel I have one to fall backon without haveing to worry what make install points the symlinks.

oooo Here is a stupid mistake. Loading ALSA. :D

"Es geht mir gut wenn mich gute Musik geflasht hat" - Clueso - Gute Musik
Aniako
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: if ("ls" != cd") {delete MyLogin;} Reply with quote

Yeah I have a REAL simple doozy.

Code:

User@MyServer /etc $ ls skel
public_html
User@MyServer /etc $ rm -R *

OOOOPS!! I thought I typed 'cd' not 'ls'. That was a blunder. Even with some file recovery utilities I had to format. Plus I didn't have a backup yet, so I lost all my config files :(:evil::evil::( That was scheduled for after the maintainence.

Lesson learned
The Mountain Man
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhiteWolfkiba wrote:
/dev/random wrote:
WhiteWolfkiba wrote:

Amen, I rather point to the actual kernel image name though so when I upgrade kernel I have one to fall backon without haveing to worry what make install points the symlinks.D

Actually, make install creates two symlinks: one to your new kernel and one to your previous one. And if you're smart, you'll have a known safe kernel in your boot menu anyway so you'll always have something to fall back on should the worst happen.
Lechium
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
ls download
rm * -fr

Me: there was only few files in download dir, why is it taking so long
[20 seconds later]
Me: fuck that was 'ls' not 'cd'!
*mashes ctrl+c*

so much stuff lost =(
cyanideoverdose
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used to work for alienware, in the shipping department, the guy who would make the fedex labels, had to leave early one day, and I being probably the most computer literate person in the shipping department, was told to take over and do the last few labels on the fedex computer.. the manager explained briefly how to set up the labels and where to place them on the boxes. I got through the first dozen or so with the manager double checking, and then he left me to finish.. I got lazy and stopped double checking what I was typing, and sent an expensive computer to a customer who ordered something like a replacement keyboard.. and sent the keyboard to the customer that ordered the computer. A few days later the customer that ordered the computers called wondering why he got a keyboard and no computer, and to make matters worse the guy with the computer refused to send it back. The manager was cool about it.. but I didnt get to use the fedex computer for a very looooooong time....
jdmulloy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: ALSA Reply with quote

I've been hitting myself over the head all day trying to get alsa to work. I tired it built-in and as modules. I check everything over and over. I recompiled the kernel several times. Then I realized that it generaly works better when you mount /boot.
ben_zarges
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple years ago i had copied some files from a vfat drive over smb and then i wanted to remove the exec bit by doing
Code:

chmod -x * -R

...but i forgot that the terminal i did it from had cwd /
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 20 of 21

Jump to: