Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The Official Dumb Mistakes Thread (TM)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this qualifies. Note that this is not something irony did.
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this before. A misconfigured DHCP server can explode your network. Once we had somebody inside our labs in the University which started a DHCP server in his desktop (althought the boy probably did not know what was that) and then it screwed up all the network. It took some time to the admininstration find who was doing that...

The problem is that computers are usually configured to discover the server by broadcast...

kanuslupus wrote:
I think that this qualifies. Note that this is not something irony did.
mogosjoh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, we actually see this happen quite a few times a year here at my university (of course, I do work as a network geek, so I guess I'm exposed to it more, too). Typically we find and shut them down pretty quick, though. It's always funny when they call and say "umm, my internet just stopped working" and we say "yeah, stop running DHCP and we'll turn your jack back on" click. hehe. BOFH.

-John
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great sport! 8)

mogosjoh wrote:
yeah, we actually see this happen quite a few times a year here at my university (of course, I do work as a network geek, so I guess I'm exposed to it more, too). Typically we find and shut them down pretty quick, though. It's always funny when they call and say "umm, my internet just stopped working" and we say "yeah, stop running DHCP and we'll turn your jack back on" click. hehe. BOFH.

-John
Spider
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: Big oops Reply with quote

Was doing a reinstall for Gentoo 1.2, my system was fairly "bad" at that point... lots of cvs/ unofficial stuff running with the wrong verisionnumbers and odd crashes due to high optimization flags... well.. A thing not to do in a failed install is rm -rf /&

especially not when you're not sure which of your terms is the chroot and which is the real live system... It was quite instantly fucked. fortunately I was able to save the chroot I had intended to erase, make it build and then replace the original system with it...

Other things that are bad to do:
remove sed.
remove gcc
remove python

I've managed all three during my gentoo days, all of it requiring digging up somone to make binary packages :) well, You learn to make backups, or at least binary packages for yourself.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Big oops Reply with quote

Spider wrote:
remove sed.
remove gcc
remove python

remove binutils
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Big oops Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Spider wrote:
remove sed.
remove gcc
remove python

remove binutils

1. remove GLIBC
2. as root do rm -rf /
3. fdisk and create a new partition on a raw partition used by a database

If you really are looking for intelligent ways of doing Big Oops, I can search our service request database. It contains 10's of thousands of Oops that our customers have done, and do all over again.

The DbaFH (Dba From Hell :twisted:)
Erik
yokem55
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I did this with one of my first installs of Gentoo.....fortunately I didn't have any valuble data to lose setup in gentoo yet....

I had untarred some archive in my home directory and had su'd in to move some of the files around in my system which required root privlidges (I think it was the ATI firegl driver archive), and one of the directories in the archive was named 'usr' and thus I had a /home/joe/usr directory. Once I was done with the untarred archive I started deleting the directories that I didn't need. When I got to the /home/joe/usr directory (and I was in the /home/joe directory) I typed:

Code:
rm -R /usr

When I first was wondering why the rm was taking so long, I thought that Konsole was hanging on me, and then to my horror, I realized that there was a slash in front of 'usr'. 8O

I cried briefly, then laughed at myself, and started a reinstall.
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
emerge unmerge gcc

I was trying to upgrade to gcc 3.2 from 2.95.3 and didn't do a emerge --builpkg gcc first. So I ended up with a system without a compiler.

I also fucked up my partition table. I didn't know how to rebuild it so I ended up losing about 30Gb of data. Nothing too important but it was a bummer.
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargggggghhhh.

Well. At least I think it's fixed now.

-- Curious
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to my not being employed, and when I am, I ship boxes and stuff for a computer company, I haven't had the privledge of screwing that many computers up, yet.

The worst that I have done is charge $25 an hour to fix my Dad's boss' win98 computer. I took it from a semi working state, to not recognising the c drive, back to the original state in two hours, and then left. He paid me 50 bucks.

Other than that I have royally screwed one of my friend's red hat installs on his laptop and pretty much killed lilo. Luckily I was playing with tom's boot disk at the time and was able to (with my new knowledge from gentoo ;)) chroot into his drive and put stuff back where it belongs.

Anyone want a sophmore in college to do some linux work for them this summer? :D

-Andrew
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious wrote:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargggggghhhh.

Well. At least I think it's fixed now.
I'm missing something.
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
I'm missing something.

Oh, if you read the comment, you'll see that my patch for iDesk leaked about a 2 * Icon size bytes of memory every time you swung the mouse over the icon.

It's fixed now, but I'm waiting for a confirmation from someone before I post to that effect. It's the public humiliation on Freshmeat that really gets to me.

Costanza, Lord of the Idiots wrote:
And suddenly, a new challenger appears...

The HR Manager just sent an 11mb attachment to everyone in the company. Goodbye mail server.

-- Curious
Pindrop
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe hes reffering to the memory leak in IDesk. See the bottom comment on the page.
homerjay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious wrote:

The HR Manager just sent an 11mb attachment to everyone in the company. Goodbye mail server.

Yeah, at our place, they sent a message to everyone (a few thousand people). The message had two attachments.

The first was an ASCII text message, as normal.

The second was a huge image of the form which had been scanned in to OCR the first ASCII text message.

I guess they thought we might not have been able to read the text version. :)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious wrote:
Oh, if you read the comment, you'll see that my patch for iDesk leaked about a 2 * Icon size bytes of memory every time you swung the mouse over the icon.

Pindrop wrote:
See the bottom comment on the page.

:lol: I didn't even see the comments
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, 2 instances: a really stupid mistake and an innocent prank that ended up in havoc.

the mistake:
Here I was at home playing with my linux box in console mode when the flatmate comes into the room and makes a comment about CLI vs GUI. "I'll show you" I say and browse up fast the bash history for a rm -rf then change it to rm -rf /* but of course not hitting enter while the flatmate was screaming "Noooo!!!" A couple of laughs later I browse up again to find that rm -rf banner* (I was getting rid of banners and such from a couple of site grabs)... Silly me I had that string changed to /* and before I realise it I've hit enter!!!! Luckily I was not root and "control-Ced" at lightspeed. Sob, sob... mc undelete... small files were recovered but some *huge* .xcf files were forever lost or corrupted beyond recognition in my home dir.

the prank:
Back at the lab we had (unfortunately *still have*) this PhD dude with no clue about computers yet still trying to pass for a techie person by launching concatenated buzz words... After keeping saving all kinds of crap in the win98 box'es desktop instead of making his own freaking folder (as I had suggested about ten times) I decided a prank was absolutely necessary... While he is out at launch I change the boot splashscreen to something nasty ala 14-yrs old 1337 h4x0r and make a bet with the other guy in there that he's going to bite it... Well he did bite it too well! The silly bastard thought the box was owned and without even caring for when was the last backup, scrapped the entire hard disk! There I was playing moron "yes, they rooted us, professor!", trying to save my *ss... The guy never learned the truth and unless he starts digging linux and gentoo and browses old forums he never will...
Ahahah
carambola5
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened during the first week before my first year at college:

My sister (3 years ahead of me, at the same university) had an internship at a Commercial Real Estate company. The most I know about it is that they occasionally handle multi-million dollar property exchanges. So, they have this semi-minimal website up. It's your basic max-depth-of-two website. Nothing too complicated, but still valuable (I swear, web designers make waaay too much). So my sister was given a quick little job of adding some keywords to the website. Since she didn't know how to do this, I offered my services, free of course. She wanted me to come in and do it for some reason or another... I think we were going to go supply shopping afterwards. So I do the deed in Frontpage and she's getting some error when trying to upload the page. I step in, grumbling the whole time about how much I despise Frontpage, and try a few things.

Mind you, because I hate the interface/features of Frontpage so much, I've never gotten around to "Publish"ing webpages on it. So, when I hit "Publish," it asked me some weird question that I didn't quite understand (and that's saying something). I chose, what turned out to be, the wrong answer. You see, when Frontpage publishes a website the way I did it, it takes the whole webpage on the local computer and replaces the entire remote website with it. In other words, I managed to delete the entire website, save the front page. Oops. And I hadn't even gone through the stress of welcome week at college.

So, over the next few weeks, we desperately attempted different methods of retrieval. The ISP (web hoster, as well) refused to do a tape restore. And the author was unreachable. And of course, there were no local backups. I mean, why would they do that? Needless to say, my sister absolutely freaked. She kept the job, though, and after 2 months or so, the page was back up, thanks to the original author and his archive. That sucked.

Proper Web Development

I'm done at 999.
apullin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's already been said, but just the other day:

emerge -C glibc

and I didn't even think twice before hitting enter!
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apullin wrote:
It's already been said, but just the other day:

emerge -C glibc

and I didn't even think twice before hitting enter!

Welcome to our newest member.... Applause please!

Erik
lemming
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my mistakes:
I had been hired to sysadmin a couple systems for a medical company and after the first week, the medical lab manager asks me to look at a problem they have.

It seems that if all the lab tests are not finished by 1am, the lab machine processes die off and all the tests have to be restarted. Several hours of work down the tubes. And usually it was right before the tests would of been completed.

Being the naive person I was, I thought of when the backups started. (1 am) Sure enough, the backup program killed off all processes at 1am prior to starting the backup. So I just moved the cron time to 3am and sent an email to my manager. Told the lab manager to give me a page if it didn't work.

The next morning I came in, found a note from the lab manager thanking me. About an hour later, my manager asks me why he wasn't consulted before I changed anything. I told him that based on how long backup times took (about an hour), it didn't seem to be a bad plan and figured if there was a possible long term problem we could hash it out. He just sort of glowered and went back to his office.

I found out a little later that he had told the lab that the problem was unsolvable and that they'd just have to deal. This had been several months before hand.

Turns out, there had been a board meeting and naturally the lab mentioned that their unsolvable problem had been fixed by me in 15 minutes of work.

Now why was this a mistake of mine? Because for the next year, that manager tried to get me fired. I did pick up another job a week after he finally gathered enough evidence. Ah, politics.
aja
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for a while doing dhtml interfacse (in the bad old pre-xml, reams of javascript, different version for every browser days). The developer interface I was using had next-to-no debugging support, so I would revert to the old standard of throwing an alert box "Finished Rendering Menu!", "Finished Building Button Maps!" style of having your code tell you what it was doing so I could see where it was blowing up (you can probably see where this is going...)

Anyway, we had a major customer freak about a bug, and I was in all weekend patching the interface (my company was trying to do a windows gui (with tree menus!) on a webpage under NS4 and IE5 - so the script was a bit hairy. I was getting punchy and a little wired, so I started using comic book characters for my debugging dialogs (Spiderman means the menu is initializing, etc.).

Well, I get things fixed, clean my code up, QA approves it and we fire it th the customer - 48 hour turnaround. I'm a hero, the customer loves us, back to my 9:00 - 3:00 lifestyle, etc.

Two days later, I get a call from the help desk. They're giggling at me. Seems the customer called back with the comment that the patch worked great, and they were very pleased, but they were wonder why (when they did this one rather obscure control sequence) the program said "Batman!".

Uh...yeah....there's a patch for that.

They never let me live it down. I don't work for that company anymore, but I understand that bugs introduced by something stupid a devleloper did are still called 'Batman Bugs'.

<edit>
Forgot to add: The day before I got into alerts with Comic characters, I had been using George Carlin's Seven Words You Can't Say on Television. I still wake up at night shuddering over what would have happened if I shipped an interface that shrieked c*nt! at our biggest customer...
<\edit>
dormando
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember saying "oops" a few times while working for livejournal.com, but I can only really remember two instances where I was being just plain dumb:

Instance number one: Configuring a brand-spanking new dual xeon database server with a ton of RAID 10 storage and 12G of ram (really shouldn't have bought so much ram. linux didn't take too well to it).

Gave MySQL a 4G keybuffer, and watched it crash twice while filling caches before realizing that user processes can't be larger than 2G. Whoops.

The second one was a bit more fantastic. I had tweaked the DB connection code slightly, so in one case of load balancing it wouldn't use so many server connections. Like usual, I write the patch, test it on my dev server, then have brad look it over. If brad thinks it's ok, he merges it and puts it live. Thing is, is that I was missing one line of code which would store the connection for re-use in that one special case.
What ended up happening, is that connections would "bounce" off of the aforementioned big server (as they wouldn't stick), and pile up on one of the DB replication slaves. After a few minutes, it would end up with enough MySQL threads fighting for life that the whole machine would just explode and hardlock (which would happen about 30 seconds after the load average hit 80). Then it would move on to the next machine, and start piling up.
Hardlocked about $10k worth of equipment before I finally realized my mistake and threw the stupid line in. Good thing I live 3,000 miles away from the servers, and someone else had to drive in seattle rush-hour traffic to reboot those machines! Oh he wasn't happy with me.

...and yes, I registered an accont just to contribute to this thread.
alshain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably when I was tidying up the wiring to the big company switch and I accidentally connected the big boss' phone to the secretary's number! :D

That or leaning over the innards of a PC and feeling a drop of sweat running down my nose and not pausing to wipe it off... sizzle!

Fortunately I've never been given sufficient responsibility to make BIG mistakes!

Andrew
really
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistake1: there was a friend of mine, having problem iwth his winxp installation, nothing unusual, and he brought his disk to me to fdisk it and try to save some data, he had ntfs and i didnt have that suppport in kernel, took some time to compile it again and then i could read it, i cp -Rf it to my disk, all that he wanted and then we should fdisk it and format, it was some sort of a "virus" laying around on the disk, the virus was xp :D seriously, the box of his felt "dirty" as usual when running winX something will screw, a couple of trojans and such, so the fdisk part came... i forgot that i had it connected to hdc ide2master and i run fdisk /dev/hda unknowingly, while doing this i wasent concetrated, i talked to him about some girls and such, and i just p d 1 d 2 d this and that as usual deleted my own partitions! an unfortunatly i wrote it down :(
then i connected his disk to install xp again on it in his can and i noticed nothing was changed! wtf!? i thought? then it hit me NOOOOoooooooo!!! oh please dont let it be... fast as hell connected my disk and tryed to start it, .... it was gone! FUCK!
man i regret that.

mistake2: this is not a mistake sence nothing broke actually, but sence i dont have a box for my pc and i was lazy to shut it down before cleaning, then i accidently pulled the networkcard out, and it just froze like hell. i thought oh man now i blowed it. but i turned the power of cleanted it inserted the card back and all was fine...

Get lost before you get shot.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 2 of 21

Jump to: