View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakob42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I never thought of this possibility. I thought there is a conf-file where to put all the patches you dont want. Would be a good thing actually...

I give it a try, I'm sure I'll be able to apply the swsusp-patch then.
mOjO_420
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: S3 never returns Reply with quote

ok.. hibernate works beautifully (thank you kindly)

but suspend does not...
any attempt to go into S3 state (whether via swsusp2 or sysfs or acpi) goes into that state fine. the machine powers down and the fans stop and the suspend light blinks. however, when i hit the power button or open the lid to return it from this state the fans kick on and everything seems ok but the screen never comes back and the machine is in some kind of limbo. its completely locked up and does not respond to pings or the three finger salute or anything. so i have to hold down the power button for 5 secs and hard reset it. now when it boots back up it restores the suspend data (quicker than a full hibernate even) and i'm back to my desktop without issue. but of course if that were what i wanted i would just have sent it into full hibernate. I want it to pop in and out of standby just like when i close/open the lid in windows.

its an HP Pavilion ze5270 and /sys/power/state shows: standby, mem, shutdown and i'm sure it supports S3 S4 and S5 states.... but since i cant see the dmesg logs because it crashes i'm not sure whats wrong... hibernate logs just show it going right into S3 like everythings fine... just never returns (until i hard reset it back up)

what should i be looking at?
tuxlover
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: S3 never returns Reply with quote

mOjO_420 wrote:
but suspend does not...

Honestly, I've no idea about how to fix suspend-to-RAM. I've the exact same problem as you (machine goes into s3 but when waking up only the cpu fan seems to wake up :) )
Quote:
now when it boots back up it restores the suspend data (quicker than a full hibernate even) and i'm back to my desktop without issue.

That's not really possible... does it really take you back to your desktop as you left it when you were last using it? With all the programms running and so? Because s3 only suspends to RAM and when you reset, RAM is erased...

Anyway sorry I don't have better ideas. I haven't heard of a lot of laptop where suspend-to-RAM works under linux. I'm still hoping for the kernel gurus to iron out all the acpi flaws in today's bioses.
mOjO_420
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: S3 never returns Reply with quote

tuxlover wrote:

mOjO wrote:
now when it boots back up it restores the suspend data (quicker than a full hibernate even) and i'm back to my desktop without issue.

That's not really possible... does it really take you back to your desktop as you left it when you were last using it? With all the programms running and so? Because s3 only suspends to RAM and when you reset, RAM is erased...

yeah... i was equally confused. maybe my configs are goofy... i'll have to post my config when i get home tonight. it appears to be storing it to disk despite my settings. even though i specified 'nocache' and really tried most every option. i read somewhere (i think it was in output from "hibernate -h") that you can recover from a power failure during standby... that also confuses me.
tuxlover wrote:
Anyway sorry I don't have better ideas. I haven't heard of a lot of laptops where suspend-to-RAM works under linux. I'm still hoping for the kernel gurus to iron out all the acpi flaws in today's bioses.

yeah... i wouldnt expect much if this was one of those laptops with buggy standby issues but it works beautifully in WinXP (very quick even). I have a friend with a Thinkpad who uses APM and he setup standby with no issue but cant do hibernate (i dont think he's tried swsuspv2 or comiled in acpi). But I wonder if I could use APM for standby and ACPI for everything else...? anyone know if thats a good/bad idea? (i havent even verified that standby works with APM yet.)
Stefun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It drives me crazy...I can´t make it to work....

Sometimes it suspends correctly but when i want to boot it ... it boots the regular way.
When i do a dmesg this is what I get :

Software Suspend 2.1.5.15: Missing or invalid storage location (resume2= parameter). Please correct and rerun lilo (or equivalent) before suspending.

Sometimes it won´t even suspend...It will only restart kde and get me back to kdm and that´s it...
Sometimes it gives me a kind of error...Oops : 0000 ... the modules are listed and some addresse likde 00x00 ...

It sux...

If anyone has any ideeas please say something.

P.S. After suspend complets successfully and it boots normally i see smth like swapon invalid argument...
mOjO_420
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it sounds like you need to fix your kernel settings...
set a default resume partition...
set it to your swap partition should prolly work.
mjans
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got suspend-to-RAM working. It's on a Dell Inpiron 510m, which does have an Intel Extreme Graphics 2 graphics card. It cannot suspend-to-RAM on the normal way, only when using the vesa driver of X.org, but then my highest resolution is 1024x768 with 8 bit colors. My trick is to start a second X server (this time with vesa driver) and then go to suspend. After resume the second X server will terminate and you can go further with your work in the first X server. It works very great for me!

I've explained how to do this at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=2077314. Maybe it'll work for you too.
mOjO_420
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... well i do use vesa-tng and xorg's default ATI drivers (1024x768@60hz) for my Radeon 345M Mobile chip. After much messing around with radeon drivers that don't support my chip I settled on this and I actually have DRI working so i'm not inclined to change my video settings. Next time I do that, it will be to tinker with the TV out or a secondary monitor.

uhh.. yeah, i digressed.. i did see some interesting things you were doing. echoing "mem" to /sys/power/state for one is not something i knew about.

i'll take a good long look at it later tonight and maybe tinker a bit. it's something i'm reluctant to screw with too much because it locks the whole system and i have to hard reset the power everytime.
osbourd2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kinda struggling to get my head around this at the moment.

I build a development 2.6.10-r1 kernel as per the Wiki. When I run hibernate I get the following:

Code:

dangermouse root # hibernate -v3       
hibernate: [01] Executing LockFileGet ...
hibernate: [10] Executing EnsureSysfsPowerStateCapable ...
hibernate: [70] Executing ClockSave ...
hibernate: [89] Executing SaveKernelModprobe ...
Saved /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe is /sbin/modprobe
Saved /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug is /sbin/hotplug
hibernate: [91] Executing ModulesUnloadBlacklist ...
Unloading blacklisted modules listed /etc/hibernate/blacklisted-modules
Module version for ipw2100 is
Module version for ipw2200 is
Module version for ndiswrapper is
hibernate: [99] Executing DoSysfsPowerStateSuspend ...
hibernate: Activating sysfs power state disk ...
hibernate: [90] Executing ModulesLoad ...
hibernate: [89] Executing RestoreKernelModprobe ...
hibernate: [70] Executing ClockRestore ...
hibernate: [01] Executing LockFilePut ...

And at that point is exits and does nothing else.

Incidentally hibernate closes down the system from my gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.10-r6 kernel but then the development 2.6.10-r1 kernel fails to pick up the image in swap - becuase it is a different kernel signature.

The hibernate config files are all standard as per the emerge.

I'm all out of ideas :?
Jas-Nix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Suspend not suspending Reply with quote

I am getting the same problem. I am using the 2.6.10-morph22 sources, it already had support for suspend built into the kernel, I followed the wiki to build everything and I emerged hibernate-script.

Any Ideas?

osbourd2 wrote:

I build a development 2.6.10-r1 kernel as per the Wiki. When I run hibernate I get the following:

Code:

dangermouse root # hibernate -v3       
hibernate: [01] Executing LockFileGet ...
hibernate: [10] Executing EnsureSysfsPowerStateCapable ...
hibernate: [70] Executing ClockSave ...
hibernate: [89] Executing SaveKernelModprobe ...
Saved /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe is /sbin/modprobe
Saved /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug is /sbin/hotplug
hibernate: [91] Executing ModulesUnloadBlacklist ...
Unloading blacklisted modules listed /etc/hibernate/blacklisted-modules
Module version for ipw2100 is
Module version for ipw2200 is
Module version for ndiswrapper is
hibernate: [99] Executing DoSysfsPowerStateSuspend ...
hibernate: Activating sysfs power state disk ...
hibernate: [90] Executing ModulesLoad ...
hibernate: [89] Executing RestoreKernel
Modprobe ...
hibernate: [70] Executing ClockRestore ...
hibernate: [01] Executing LockFilePut ...

Incidentally hibernate closes down the system from my gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.10-r6 kernel but then the development 2.6.10-r1 kernel fails to pick up the image in swap - becuase it is a different kernel signature.

mOjO_420
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

osbourd2 wrote:

No need to run vanilla 2.6.10-r1, thats just what the author of the wiki was using when he wrote it.. I use gento-dev-sources 2.6.10-r5 andit works fine, and if r6 properly hibernates your system then i'm not seeing the issue.
osbourd2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mOjO_420 wrote:
osbourd2 wrote:

No need to run vanilla 2.6.10-r1, thats just what the author of the wiki was using when he wrote it.. I use gento-dev-sources 2.6.10-r5 andit works fine, and if r6 properly hibernates your system then i'm not seeing the issue.

There is no Suspend2 option in the kernel menu though and patching patching the gentoo-dev-sources kernel fails.

I did try passing the resume2=swap:/dev/hda2 switch to the gentoo-dev kernel from grub but it took no notice of it.

So the issue with using the gentoo-dev kernel is not hibernating, more resuming the system afterwards! :)
mOjO_420
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

osbourd2 wrote:

There is no Suspend2 option in the kernel menu though and patching patching the gentoo-dev-sources kernel fails.

I did try passing the resume2=swap:/dev/hda2 switch to the gentoo-dev kernel from grub but it took no notice of it.

So the issue with using the gentoo-dev kernel is not hibernating, more resuming the system afterwards! :)

that means that the suspend options you are seeing are for the original swsusp and not swsusp2 (which is what this thread is dealing with)

you'll have to figure out how to get your sources patched... you'll know once they are, the menuconfig on the kernel is noticably different (has some Win4Lin crap in there too after patching) i think i remember i got some errors too originally but got around them somehow... sorry my memory is shot. although you are using r6 and i'm using r5. so maybe i'd get the same errors. I havent read the release notes for r6 so i dunno if its worth me upgrading.

I had the original working myself at one point and then I think i messed around with video drivers or something else (it does not like ATI drivers) and the long short of it was at some point through kernel changes or video card driver changes the original swsusp support stopped working mysteriously and i started looking on the forums and found this thread and got my kernel patched for swsusp2 and the hibernate feature has been working great... now i really want to get standby (Suspend to ram) working... and i'd like to tweak swsusp2 to go a little faster, but alas time is at a premium these days for me... ;-)

i really wish there was USE flag for swsusp2 that would let us choose to apply the patch when emerging the kernel.
Bluesman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone got suspend working with nvidia's drivers while in X, please could you post your setup? (nvidia-kernel/glx version, which card, kernel, acpi version, swsup2 version, anything special). I'm trying to figure out why the on earth cant i make it get resume, I get to the part where it's supposed to show X, but the monitor stays black and the net is down, no kernel panic... This is all on dell inspiron 8000 with gforce 2 go.

Thanks.
sarah_t_s
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm....
This could be because I'm an amd64 user... but, it doesn't compile... am I doing something wrong or is this kind of expected?

emerge'd a copy of 2.6.10-r1 which seems to be the kernel of choice in the HOWTO on the Wiki.

From the swsusp2 page I down load a copy of the patch, unpack it and apply to the kernel.
It doesn't moan or whinge about anything so I'm assuming it all works fine.

now, I, being a n00b then went it, jiggled with kernel config and rammed it back in to genkernel's default settings's file. This didn't work out too well. But I through trying make bzImage might prove more useful output.

Code:
bash-2.05b# make bzImage
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
make[1]: `arch/x86_64/kernel/asm-offsets.s' is up to date.
  CHK     include/linux/compile.h
  CHK     usr/initramfs_list
  CC      kernel/power/suspend_builtin.o
kernel/power/suspend_builtin.c:15:25: asm/highmem.h: No such file or directory
In file included from kernel/power/suspend_builtin.c:20:
kernel/power/suspend2_core/pageflags.h: In function `__get_next_bit_on':
kernel/power/suspend2_core/pageflags.h:114: error: `max_mapnr' undeclared (first use in this function)
kernel/power/suspend2_core/pageflags.h:114: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
kernel/power/suspend2_core/pageflags.h:114: error: for each function it appears in.)
kernel/power/suspend2_core/pageflags.h:115: error: `mem_map' undeclared (first use in this function)
kernel/power/suspend_builtin.c: In function `suspend_check_mounts':
kernel/power/suspend_builtin.c:402: warning: implicit declaration of function `mounts_are_S4_resume_safe'
kernel/power/suspend_builtin.c:404: warning: implicit declaration of function `get_S4_resume_unsafe_mounts'
kernel/power/suspend_builtin.c: In function `mark_task_as_pageset1':
kernel/power/suspend_builtin.c:454: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
kernel/power/suspend_builtin.c:457: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
kernel/power/suspend_builtin.c:460: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
kernel/power/suspend_builtin.c:460: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
kernel/power/suspend_builtin.c:461: warning: implicit declaration of function `follow_page'
kernel/power/suspend_builtin.c:461: warning: initialization makes pointer from integer without a cast
kernel/power/suspend_builtin.c:463: error: `mem_map' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[2]: *** [kernel/power/suspend_builtin.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [kernel/power] Error 2
make: *** [kernel] Error 2

Anyone got any ideas?
Bluesman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sarah_t_s wrote:
Hmm....
This could be because I'm an amd64 user... but, it doesn't compile... am I doing something wrong or is this kind of expected?

From what I've heard, the amd64 isn't really supported and friend had major issues even compiling it, after using I think either 2.6.11-rc4 or -rc5 kernel with apropriate patch, it compiled, getting suspend to work was another thing though. As far as he got was constant reboots after trying to load the image. I suggest you subscribe to the swsup2 mailing list and keep your eye on it since the developer got an amd64 laptop and is trying to get the thing working.
sarah_t_s
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluesman wrote:
sarah_t_s wrote:
Hmm....

From what I've heard, the amd64 isn't really supported and friend had major issues even compiling it, after using I think either 2.6.11-rc4 or -rc5 kernel with apropriate patch, it compiled, getting suspend to work was another thing though. As far as he got was constant reboots after trying to load the image. I suggest you subscribe to the swsup2 mailing list and keep your eye on it since the developer got an amd64 laptop and is trying to get the thing working.

Hmm. Thanks for the advice, I think I'll plug-in to it in the morning.
I'd suspected it was an amd64 thing :-/

Not too sure why your friend had major problems with the build phase of things though, I just whacked in the x86_64 2004.3 livecd and plodded through the handbook. It works swimingly other than a few bits of hardware (ENE card reader and a winmodem)... still we each encounter our problems :)
paulie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

osbourd2 wrote:

I'm having the same problem here with a 2.6.11 kernel. I've patched and recompiled the kernel, and Software Suspend 2 seems to be starting...

Code:

root ~ $ dmesg |grep Suspend
Software Suspend Core.
Software Suspend LZF Compression Driver registered.
Software Suspend Swap Writer registered.
Software Suspend 2.1.8: Swap space signature found.
Software Suspend 2.1.8: Suspending enabled.
Software Suspend 2.1.8: This is normal swap space.

But when executing the hibernate script, it seems to hibernate and then immediatly come back! The output of 'hibernate -v3' is IDENTICAL to osbourd2's

The only thing I did differently than the howto, was adding a default swap drive into the kernel config:

Code:

--- General Options
       (swap:/dev/hda3)    Default resume device name 

I know its a long shot, but its the only thing I can think of. Maybe it should read '/dev/hda3' or maybe it's simply broken. I'll try removing this from the kernel tomorrow and report back

Out of curiosity to those with the same problem: What's your hardware? Im running a Dell Latitude C400

I could post the output of hibernate -v4 if anyone thinks that will be useful....

Any Ideas?

-Paulie
paulie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulie wrote:
osbourd2 wrote:

I'm having the same problem here with a 2.6.11 kernel. I've patched and recompiled the kernel, and Software Suspend 2 seems to be starting...

Okay, I've figured it out. If your having this problem, you'll need to edit /etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf, and ensure that you are using Software Suspend 2 (UseSwsusp2 yes)

-Paulie
iandow
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: hibernate crashing Reply with quote

I'm running kernel 2.6.11-mm with the stock Software Suspend implementation enabled. My machine is a Dell X300. When I run hibernate, it crashes with the following errors:

Stopping tasks: ==========================|
    Freeing memory... done (10574 pages freed)
    swsusp: Need to copy 6699 pages
    swsusp: critical section\: done (6731 pages copied)
    PCI: 000:00:02.0 has unsupported PM cap regs version (1)
    ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:02.0[A] -> GSI 10 (level, low) -> IRQ 10
    PCI: 000:00:02.0 has unsupported PM cap regs version (1)
    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.0 to 64
    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.1 to 64
    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.2 to 64
    PCI: cache line size of 32 is not supported by device 0000:00:1d.7

Then it just hangs, and I have to hard reboot.

My options to my kernel boot line in grub are:
    resume=/dev/hda5 pmdisk=/dev/hda5

Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks.

-en
EASYdoor
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: anyone? Reply with quote

has anyone figured out the suspend2+xorg 6.8.*+ati 8.10.19 ?!?!

in konsole everything works just fine with 2.6.11-morph2 sources but X freezes constantly,...
tuxlover
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: hibernate crashing Reply with quote

iandow wrote:
I'm running kernel 2.6.11-mm with the stock Software Suspend implementation enabled. My machine is a Dell X300. When I run hibernate, it crashes with the following errors: [...]
Try the swsusp2 patch that is discussed here. It works a lot better than the implementation included in the vanilla kernel.
EASYdoor
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

well,...i don't get it,...why should i manually patch my kernel, if it's already patched to the last version?
morph sources:
Quote:
updated softwaresuspend2 to 2.1.8.2
[/quote][/code]
tuxlover
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote

EASYdoor wrote:
well,...i don't get it,...why should i manually patch my kernel, if it's already patched to the last version?
morph sources:
Quote:
updated softwaresuspend2 to 2.1.8.2
I was replying to iandow who's using mm-sources. They don't seem to contain the suspend2 patch.

Edit: Also, there is simply much confusion about the (stock) implementation swsusp1 in vanilla and the suspend2-patch that is the core of this howto. Sometimes people use obscure kernel patch sets and don't tell us if suspend2 is really included. They just say something like "it doesn't work".
iandow
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: hibernate crashing Reply with quote

tuxlover wrote:
iandow wrote:
I'm running kernel 2.6.11-mm with the stock Software Suspend implementation enabled. My machine is a Dell X300. When I run hibernate, it crashes with the following errors: [...]
Try the swsusp2 patch that is discussed here. It works a lot better than the implementation included in the vanilla kernel.

The swsusp2 patch does not apply cleanly to the 2.6.11-mm kernel. Do you know how hard it is to do the matches manually?

-ian
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: