View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
debaser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: What's all this kmozilla nonsense? Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I'm pretty new to Linux and very new to KDE. I've been using Mozilla with Gnome and Windows for ages now and I've grown rather attached to it.

When I switched to KDE 3.0.3 I decided to go all out and use Konqueror instead of Mozilla because it seemed like the thing to do. Anyway, I've gotten kind of sick of the way khtml renders pages so naturally I was intrigued when I heard that I could use the Gecko engine with Konqueror.

Unfortunately for me, all the information about enabling kmozilla seems to be for Konq 2.2 (it says to go to View -> View Mode, an option that doesn't exist on my computer). So I guess what I'm getting at is, how the hell do I make Konqueror use kmozilla?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to emerge kdebindings.
That will give you the option to change the view in konqueror to kmozilla.
I tried it a few times, but it did not convince me of any advantages
debaser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlterEgo wrote:
I think you need to emerge kdebindings.
That will give you the option to change the view in konqueror to kmozilla.

I already emerged kdebindings and recompiled kde just to be safe. No luck.

Is the general consensus that kmozilla is no better than khtml? Mozilla seems to render fonts better, at least for me.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

debaser wrote:
Mozilla seems to render fonts better, at least for me.

'Tis the exact opposite for me. KDE, Konsole, KHTML all look great, but Mozilla looks like crap. Oh well.

At any rate, I still use Mozilla, because (IMO) it's a better browser than Konq. kmozilla has also been a lot less stable for me, but again, your mileage may vary.
schutten
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I also use mozilla as my default webbrowser in kde.

I tried this kmozilla stuff a while back when I started with gentoo (just after kde 3 came out). I didn't like the way kmozilla worked (if I remember correctly right click menu's didn't work correctly; but I may be wrong there...).

I kept on searching, switched over to gnome when 2.0 arrived...
Switched back to kde, since in my humble opinion gnome seems a little bit unfinished.

Still prefer mozilla over konqueror though (renders more webpages correctly, especially the ones that have some tricky java script; like the website my bank uses...). The thing I don't like about kde is that it is hard to use anything but konqueror as the default browser; kmozilla does not seem to be the answer to this...

I'd still like kmail to open mozilla when I click on a link in kmail, but that does not work the way I want it to work... Posted to this forum about that, but no one knows the answer (?)... See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=15798.

Well, enough ranting for now. Anyone that knows a solution to kmail/mozilla?
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schutten wrote:
Well I also use mozilla as my default webbrowser in kde.

I tried this kmozilla stuff a while back when I started with gentoo (just after kde 3 came out). I didn't like the way kmozilla worked (if I remember correctly right click menu's didn't work correctly; but I may be wrong there...).

I kept on searching, switched over to gnome when 2.0 arrived...
Switched back to kde, since in my humble opinion gnome seems a little bit unfinished.

Still prefer mozilla over konqueror though (renders more webpages correctly, especially the ones that have some tricky java script; like the website my bank uses...). The thing I don't like about kde is that it is hard to use anything but konqueror as the default browser; kmozilla does not seem to be the answer to this...

I'd still like kmail to open mozilla when I click on a link in kmail, but that does not work the way I want it to work... Posted to this forum about that, but no one knows the answer (?)... See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=15798.

Well, enough ranting for now. Anyone that knows a solution to kmail/mozilla?

Check this link to the KMail FAQ for instrcutions on how to change the default browser to use with Kmail:
http://docs.kde.org/3.0/kdenetwork/kmail/faq.html#id2834165

Erik
schutten
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:

Check this link to the KMail FAQ for instrcutions on how to change the default browser to use with Kmail:
http://docs.kde.org/3.0/kdenetwork/kmail/faq.html#id2834165

Erik

Yes, I have already done this...; see my description in https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=15798.

The problems is:
- first kmail downloads the link using its own downloader (or is it a common kde thing?).
- Then it open the (now local) webpage in the webbrowser of choice (konqueror/kmail).
- This works fine with konqueror (images load correctly; links are ok)
- With mozilla it loads only the locally downloaded file; images are not downloaded; links are incorrect; this is because all links/images start from the local location of the file (file://....) i.s.o. the correct original http://....

Obviously this is rather annoying; it makes starting mozilla this way unusable...
A temporary workaround is to right click on the link in kmail, and copy the URL to the clipboard. Then the clipboard thingy pops up, where I can select "open link in mozilla"...

Either there should be a way to start mozilla directly, so without the intermediate kmail/kde downloader.
or mozilla needs to understand/correct the links in the local file (konqueror seems to cope fine with these)...

Maybe I should have a look at the kmail source code...
This may be a lot of work, but don't we all just love open source :)...
schutten
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solution is here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=107198

embarassingly simple :oops:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: