View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to read ther README text file for xcdroast. It has some other options that will help you. I just solved my whole cdburning thing the other day by disabling ide cdrom but since you have an ide cdrom (the regular one not the burner) you will want to put add this line

http://www.linuxfocus.org/common/src/article227/README.atapi.html

Code:
options ide-cd ignore='hdc hdd'
   pre-install sg modprobe ide-scs
or something similar in your /etc/modules.conf or /etc/modules.autoload.

You will see all of this in the README text and it will make more sense.

Also, do you use devfs? If so, check your /etc/devfs.conf file and make sure all of the settings are set correctly (a mistake in mine made the darn thing not work) and make sure that your /etc/fstab is configured correctly.

Those are my tips. I hope not confusing.

C
voidzero
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please post the literal output of 'lsmod' then :)
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well good news. I removed the SCSI CD-ROM Support option from my kernel and magicly, the SCSI CD-ROMs were detected (as long as they are in /etc/lilo.conf like you all said to do).

Now, another problem. I go into X-CD-Roast (as root, or as the user that I added in it's setup), but I can't do anything. It doesn't see that there's anything in any of my 3 drives. All 3 drives, and that Adaptec FAKE thing, show up, but when I put something in to just copy a CD from my CD-ROM to the CD-RW drive, it says Emtpy CD-R/RW and won't let me change the lable or title of the CD or anything. Am I doing something wrong? I've tried this as both root and normal user.

-ee99ee2
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ee99ee2 wrote:
and that Adaptec FAKE thing
Do you have anything selected under SCSI support ---> SCSI low-level drivers --->? If you do, and have no SCSI hardware, you might try removing it.
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well good news. I removed the SCSI CD-ROM Support option from my kernel

Why did you remove scsi cdrom support?
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me get this straight... you /removed/ scsi cdrom support, and the scsi cdrom started working?

Alright.. now this is getting illogical.

Let's get the GUI frontend out of the way while we're troubleshooting and just work with the commandline. It's easier to troubleshoot that way.
What does "cdrecord --scanbus" give you now? Is the IDE cdburner detected now?
if you have an ISO you can test with (no need to burn it.. just a cdr in the drive will suffice), and you know what device your cdburner is on from --scanbus, run "cdrecord dev=x,x,x -speed=4 -dummy ISONAME" replacing x,x,x with the device scsi ID from cdrecord --scanbus, and replacing ISONAME with a valid ISO. The -dummy will make it keep the laser off during the process, essentially just going through the actions without actually physically burning.
MacMasta
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got "vendor-specific extensions" built in, too?

As I remember it, you need SCSI cdrom, scsi generic, ide-scsi emulation, and (sometimes) vendor-specific extensions built in.

That fixed it for the ide cd burner in the machine across the room from me...

(but my system works just fine without it - perhaps it *wink wink* depends on the vendor?)

~Mac~
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As I remember it, you need SCSI cdrom, scsi generic, ide-scsi emulation, and (sometimes) vendor-specific extensions built in.

That is my understanding too. It might help if you disable IDE cdrom as I stated in a previous post. When I did that, it was amazing how well everything worked.

C
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay it's really weird I know. I REMOVED SCSI-CDROM Support from the kernel, and made sure the thing was in my lilo.conf (it was)... rebooted the new kernel and bam cdrecord -scanbus showed all 3 CD-ROM drives (I added all 3 of them in lilo.conf).

Now right now, I took the ide-scsi thing out my lilo.conf b/c I needed to mount my CD-ROM drives to read a CD and when I have the ide-scsi thing in lilo.conf, there's nothing under /dev/cdroms... not even a /dev/cdrom.

Whew, I'm sleepy early tonight. I'll try to add the ide-scsi thing back in my lilo.conf and give you all an exact readout of what it says. If not, I'll do it tomorrow morning *adds this to his todo list on his new handspring visor*. :D

-ee99ee2
seang
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Methinks we may have stray modules on the loose here!! A module can be deselected in the kernel conf, but still remain (from before) in the /lib/modules hierarchy.

When things get this messy, I'd suggest zapping the appropriate /lib/modules subdirectory and rebuilding the kernel and modules from a clean base (yeah, it's a pain since you need to then rebuild other modules as well, nvidia if used, alsa if used, pcmcia if used, etc etc etc).

I just think this has got so confusing that it's worth that effort!! :-)
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I don't remember what I was doing last. It's been what... a week and half since we've done anything on this? Anyway, I HAVE to get this thing fixed by Wednesday. What can I do? I'm still getting the same error in X-CDRoast... I'm lost... HELP :?

-ee99ee2
870Fragmaster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:51 am    Post subject: Dont know if i can help, but Reply with quote

My advice would be to make sure that the scsi stuff is built into the kernel. I have SCSI Emulation support, SCSI CD-ROM support, and SCSI generic support. Make sure you have the generic, this caused me problems(i left it out). You may have already done this, but sometimes things get forgotten/left out.
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had time to do anything with it. I need it really bad, so I'll probably go tomorrow and recompile. I also have to compile another file system into the kernel soon, so I'll redo everything then and post back. I've been meaning to work on this more for 2 weeks. Eeek....

-ee99ee2
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I got rid of everything SCSI related except SCSI CD-ROM Support, SCSI Generic, and SCSI Emulation. Now I get this when I open XCDRoast, even as root:

In case you can't see what that says, it says Failed to scan SCSI bus either no permission or access to the SCSI generic is not in the kernel.

I hit continue anyway, and now there are no SCSI devices listed. Not even that weird Adaptec thing.

Here's the output of lsmod right now:
Code:
[~]$ /sbin/lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
NVdriver             1066304  10

As you can see, I compile in the things that I need all the time, and I don't usually need much more then that.

-ee99ee2

EDIT: Large image. Replaced img tags with url tags. -- pjp
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay guys. I need to backup my server, and my MP3s again... come on, I gotta get this fixed.... someone has got to be able to understand what's going on....

I'm not sure if I've made this clear enough or not... but when I add the ide thing in my /etc/lilo.conf, they do show up in XCDRoast, but I can't mount them, so I can't use them as normal CD-ROM drives..... so we can't do it like that...

-ee99ee2
870Fragmaster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if you do
Code:
cdrecord -scanbus
what comes up?
Try removing any links from your /etc/devfs.conf. Look for where it says to create /dev/cdrom, /dev/cdrw, ect.. and comment them out. That helped me once. When everything is working then put them back in. do
Code:
dir -l /dev/cdroms
you should see something like
Code:

total 0
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           33 Dec 31  1969 cdrom0 -> ../ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           34 Dec 31  1969 cdrom1 -> ../scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd
you can see from this that cdrom1 is a scsi device(ide-scsi). here is a section of my /etc/fstab:
Code:

/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro,user          0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom1      /mnt/cdrom1     iso9660         noauto,ro,user          0 0
dealing with the cdroms. check to see if you have the user in there, that will let users mount the cdrom. In order for you to have access to the burner as a user, you need to be in the cdrw group. this is probably not applicable to you because you are probably running as root, but maybe someone will find some usefull info in this post.
I will stop for now untill I see what your
Code:
cdrecord -scanbus
looks like. Another thing to try is using the command line tools. look at http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialCDBurn.html. There is some cdr info and some command line examples.
Post the cdrecord info and what happens when you use the command line tools. That ought to tell us if you cdr is working. I dont know anything about XCDroast. I use the command line or either k3b. I hope some of this helps.
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's try this one more time...this time with more feeling.

Let's start by making a checklist..

1. Did you compile in scsi emulation? scsi cdrom support? generic scsi support? You will need all of these compiled into the kernel or compiled as modules. I found it easier to compile the support in rather than modules as it is my only cdrom device.

2. did you put append"hdx=ide-scsi" (where x is your device ie hdc) in your lilo file? did you re-run lilo?

3. If you compiled the scsi support as modules did you put the modprobe ide-scsi in the /etc/modules.autload file?

4. Is your /etc/devfsd.conf file setup correctly. It should be something like this:

Code:
# Create /dev/cdrw for the first cdrom on the scsi bus
# (change 'sr0' to suite your setup)
LOOKUP          ^cdrw$          CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink sr0 cdrw
REGISTER        ^sr0$           CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink $devname cdrw
UNREGISTER      ^sr0$           CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink cdrw

You should also have this entry in your /etc/devfsd.conf file somewhere above it:
Code:
# Give the cdrw group write permissions to /dev/sg0
# This is done to have non root user use the burner (scan the scsi bus)
REGISTER        ^sr0$       PERMISSIONS root.cdrw 660

5. Lastly make sure that your /etc/fstab is set correcty. For mine I have /dev/cdrw instead of /dev/hdc

6. Then try the cdrecord -scanbus and see what shows up....

Hope it works for you!

PS. One other thing that I did in the kernel was to DISABLE atapi cdrom support as I did not need it. If you do have a regular cdrom that you need support for then you will need to add another line to one of the module files but I am not sure if it needs to go in the /etc/modules.autoload or the /etc/modules.d/i386 file and that is:

Code:
options ide-cd ignore=hdx
where x is the device ie hdc
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I added append="hdc=ide-scsi hdb=ide-scsi" to my /etc/lilo.conf and now the CD-ROM (hdb) and the CD-RW drive (hdc) show up in XCDRoast. The problem is it thinks they are both CD-ROM drives and it always thinks they are empty. I put in a CD to duplicate in hdb, and a blank CD-R disc in my CD-RW drive. I hit write, and it said there's no media in either drive. Also, it doesn't think either of the drives are CD-RW drives.

Here's cdrecord -scanbus:

Code:
[/home/cmiller]# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.11a34 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.6'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'MITSUMI ' 'CD-ROM FX240S !B' 's01 ' Removable CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) 'OPTORITE' 'CD-RW CW4002    ' '100E' Removable CD-ROM
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

And here's /etc/lilo.conf:

Code:
menu-scheme=Wb
boot = /dev/hde
#prompt
map = /boot/System.map
lba32
delay = 10
        image = /boot/bzImage
        root = /dev/hde2
        label = Gentoo
        read-only
        append="hdc=ide-scsi hdb=ide-scsi"

image = /boot/bzImage.bkp
        root = /dev/hde2
        append="hda=ide-scsi hdb=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi"
        label = Gentoo_bkp
        read-only

I'll work on /dev/devfs.conf or whatever that file is later this evening. I'll post back on how that works.

-ee99ee2
870Fragmaster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to scanbus it ought to work. I would try a command line burn to check it out. It may be an XCDRoast problem.

devfsd creates devices in /dev/cdroms/ that link to the proper target whether scsi or ide(see my previous post). I have had good luck using these. So in my fstab as you can see in my previous post i use these as my device paths. Chickpea's /dev/cdrw works too if you have the links in the devfsd.conf file set properly.

Try something like this. you said something about backing up mp3's, so get a directory of mp3s that will fit on the cdrom, then
Code:
mkisofs -r -o /tmp/cd-iso-image-file.iso /home/user1/directory-of-files
now to burn the cd
Code:
cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,1,0 -data /tmp/cd-iso-image-file.iso

Also how bout posting your fstab so we can see what that looks like. Depending out what device path you used, you may need to edit them to point to the new scsi device.
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also how bout posting your fstab so we can see what that looks like. Depending out what device path you used, you may need to edit them to point to the new scsi device

Yea, what he said. It may be that you are using /dev/hdb etc...in your file and could be causing part of the problem.

I thought it was always best to burn from a hard drive vs doing a disk copy from a cd?

So hdb is a regular cd rom drive...not a burner?
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay command line burning worked. So I'll read man cdrecord, man mkiso or whatever it is later. What other commands should I know to do command-line burning?

Oh, one thing. How do I turn on DMA? I tried hdparm /dev/cdroms/cdrom2 -d1... but it said that /dev/ccdroms/cdrom2 was an unsupported device. If I don't get DMA on, then there's no way I can use command-line burning because it totally locks up my system while it burns. I can't even move the mouse more then about once every 2 seconds. It's that bad. I know that if I can get DMA to turn on, it'll fix it.

Since we know now it's a XCDRoast problem, what are some other burning programs? Is there one that uses the KDE libs for GUI? So it'll look like my theme? hehe.

-ee99ee2
870Fragmaster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what is up with your machine bogging down, you cant set dma on a scsi emulated cdrom. that is why you should not emulate a dvd. on the gui front, I like k3b. It seems to do well, have a nice gui and a good feature set. To get it to burn as a user, go through the setup. it should detect your drives. set the correct mount points. then give it the cdrw group and add the users you want to be able to use it. it will set the permissions on the files(cdrdao,cdrecord, ect..). another choice is arson. i havent looked at it in a while so i dont know its current state. both arson and k3b are in the portage tree.
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What should I do about the DMA thing? I can't go on like this. I've burned one thing, and the reason I've not burned more is because I can't even move my mouse until it's done burning.

-ee99ee2
870Fragmaster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it should not be a problem w/ dma. other than that i have no idea :( Is you harddisk and burner on the same channel? if it is try putting it on the other ide controller. dont know if it would matter but possibly reading and writing on the same channel may be slowing things down. sorry i cant help ya.
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope. they are on diff channels.

-ee99ee2
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: