Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
/boot partition size has to be @ least 75MB???
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elboricua
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 2:36 am    Post subject: /boot partition size has to be @ least 75MB??? Reply with quote

I have a question. I have always had my /boot partition set to only be 25mb. I have never needed it to be any bigger. kernels I compile are generally tiny. When I had gentoo 1.2 installed /boot was only 25 mb. I decided that I wanted to try 1.4rc1 to give gcc3.2 a whirl. I figured I would reinstall rather than upgrade. I had /home on a seperate parition so I was not worried about data loss.

Anyway, I set my partition sizes, and when I go to

mount /dev/hde1 /mnt/gentoo/boot

It would not do it. It kept giving me errors about wrongfs type, bad superblock or too many fs mounted. I could not for the life of me figure it out. I decided to try what the install instructions say and I set the /boot to be 100MB. It mounts no problems. Since 100MB is overkill I started slowly incrementing down until I hit a threshold. Anything under 75MB and /boot will not load, giving me the above error. Anyone know why? I mean what gives. Even 75MB is overkill. grub doesn't take up much room and the kernel is tiny.

I am really confused here???
elboricua
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got frustrated and ughmm accidentily kicked the box no really it was an accident :oops: Anyway after the reboot, I did not fdisk the drive again as I had the partitions I wanted. /boot was 50MB and this time it took. I can't explain why it suddenly worked after my ughhh encouragement of it to work but now it did. Totally strange.... :roll:
elboricua
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After monkeying with it again I found the correct answer. Kicking your machine is wrong :twisted:

I specified the filesystem while mounting and it did not spit out the error.

mount /dev/hde1 /mnt/gentoo/boot -t ext2

works like a charm with only 25MB like I want it to be 8O
wilbertnl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: /boot partition size has to be @ least 75MB??? Reply with quote

Megatron2121 wrote:
I have a question. I have always had my /boot partition set to only be 25mb. I have never needed it to be any bigger. kernels I compile are generally tiny. When I had gentoo 1.2 installed /boot was only 25 mb. I decided that I wanted to try 1.4rc1 to give gcc3.2 a whirl. I figured I would reinstall rather than upgrade. I had /home on a seperate parition so I was not worried about data loss.

Anyway, I set my partition sizes, and when I go to

mount /dev/hde1 /mnt/gentoo/boot

It would not do it. It kept giving me errors about wrongfs type, bad superblock or too many fs mounted. I could not for the life of me figure it out. I decided to try what the install instructions say and I set the /boot to be 100MB. It mounts no problems. Since 100MB is overkill I started slowly incrementing down until I hit a threshold. Anything under 75MB and /boot will not load, giving me the above error. Anyone know why? I mean what gives. Even 75MB is overkill. grub doesn't take up much room and the kernel is tiny.

I am really confused here???

25 MB is fine, it works for me, with any version or distribution.
My guess is that you forgot to create a file system after fdisk.
elboricua
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had setup the partition type. I made it ext2. After it did not work initially I enabled hournaling tune2fs -j /dev/hde1 and it still was not working. I was totally confused by the error. I figured it had to be because all of the other partitions are XFS, it was expecting this one to be too. So i dedided to try mounting the partition with a -t option to tell the system what kind of filesystem it had.

mount /dev/hde1 /mnt/gentoo/boot -t ext3 and it worked. /me was very happy :D

After all that I fdisked the hd again and reset my partition sizes. I am now in the bootstrap stage.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: