Just a little suggestion
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Just a little suggestion Reply with quote

Hey guys, is it possible to get a "How to" or a better FAQ of certain things that run or are configured in Gentoo? Like have a "How to on configuring XOrg" or link to a how to, or ALSA, or any other things that already have how to's out there? I know there are links to wikipedia and :: blush :: I cannot remember the other sites, however, is there possibly a way that we can at a minimum have a categorized master listing of the links so we can maybe stop posting the same "How do I?" topics over and over again?
asiB4
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't be much of a problem if some would just read the documentation first....there are also plenty of how-to's on the gentoo wiki.
Registered Linux User #332738

TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiB4 wrote:
wouldn't be much of a problem if some would just read the documentation first....there are also plenty of how-to's on the gentoo wiki.

Is there a link that is in plain sight for gentoo-wiki? I don't see a link on the forums or the gentoo main page for it. Everyone "knows" about gentoo-wiki but I think having a definitive link to it in a place that can be easily accessable to all people. Unless I am missing the link some place.

- Josh
asiB4
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah...I see what you're sayin'. I looked at the gentoo.org main page and didn't see a direct link to the wiki, might be alright to have a link either in the "resources" section of the menu along the left side of the page or in the menu along the top of the page.

Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wiki is not an official Gentoo project and not supported in any way for good reason: it contains many outdated guides and misleading or wrong information. Therefore there won't be any official links to it here. See Why a web forum and not <insert other medium here>? as well.

There could be a link to the official documentation repository however when creating a new topic (there are already links to Bugzilla etc).
TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earthwings wrote:
The wiki is not an official Gentoo project and not supported in any way for good reason: it contains many outdated guides and misleading or wrong information. Therefore there won't be any official links to it here. See Why a web forum and not <insert other medium here>? as well.

There could be a link to the official documentation repository however when creating a new topic (there are already links to Bugzilla etc).

Since Gentoo is starting to become a larger and more popular distro, I really think that there needs to be a group designed in creating and maintaining a central document repository with updated Gentoo how-to's, FAQ's, etc., regularly and accurately. The search feature on this forum is less than good [99% of the people I have asked say the same thing] and if I want to figure out about my 2nd IDE controller, I don't want to have to read 300 threads and attempt to follow 200 leads only to end up at a dead end. I know every configuration is different too. The documentation is all in the forums and I believe that the forums are a FANFRIGGINTASTIC source of knowledge, however I find it very hard when trying to find the how-to's or what ever, to look for stuff. It does get rather frustrating. Just my $.02 however. Not bitching, just trying to give a helpful heads up.

- Josh
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteKnight wrote:
Earthwings wrote:

Since Gentoo is starting to become a larger and more popular distro,

Is it really still growing? Not sure about that...

TheWhiteKnight wrote:
I really think that there needs to be a group designed in creating and maintaining a central document repository with updated Gentoo how-to's, FAQ's, etc., regularly and accurately.

The documentation guys are doing an awesome job and Gentoo is popular for its documentation. Furthermore everybody can contribute to the forums or documentation FAQ and guides, it just has to be done.

TheWhiteKnight wrote:
The search feature on this forum is less than good [99% of the people I have asked say the same thing] and if I want to figure out about my 2nd IDE controller, I don't want to have to read 300 threads and attempt to follow 200 leads only to end up at a dead end. I know every configuration is different too. The documentation is all in the forums and I believe that the forums are a FANFRIGGINTASTIC source of knowledge, however I find it very hard when trying to find the how-to's or what ever, to look for stuff. It does get rather frustrating.

True, but that's mainly a problem introduced by phpbb's non-scalability. tomk is working on a new search engine which is in some alpha state, it allows ordering search results by relevance and some other nice features.
asiB4
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earthwings wrote:

heh...didn't know it was not an official project...until I scrolled way down to the bottom of the page..where I doubt anyone ever reads...is the disclaimer. Outdated, yes...but, still has some decent information...can't be anymore outdated than some of the how-to's that are posted here in the forums. Have to be intelligent enough to know what applies and what does not.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: