Kernel panic on first boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HamuNaptra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 4:50 pm    Post subject: Kernel panic on first boot Reply with quote

I Installed a stage 3 tarball optimized for a pentium mmx. I used a vanilla kernel.
On my first boot i get a Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:03
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which filesystems did you set up? I've seen this error several times, so you might try a search for Kernel and panic and VFS and Unable and mount and root.
HamuNaptra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boot ext2
root xfs
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definately take a look at some search results. This has happened at least once before in relation to xfs... perhaps there is an answer.
HamuNaptra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at the search results, but the lot of them are in relation to a gentoo-sources kernel.
geders
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the vanilla kernel does not have XFS support, so you need to use the xfs-sources or gentoo-sources to get XFS support. That, or you could go to the XFS site and download the kernel patches, but since this is a newbie forum, I recommend unmerging vanilla-sources and emerging gentoo-sources or xfs-sources and recompiling your kernel...all will work then...
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geders wrote:
I recommend unmerging vanilla-sources and emerging gentoo-sources

Do I need to edit XFS and gentoo-sources-2.4.19-r8+? Has XFS made it back into gentoo-sources?
HamuNaptra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried it with gentoo-sources, didn't work :(
Next time I'll try xfs-sources
kyptin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:38 am    Post subject: grub? Reply with quote

Hopefully I'm not stating the obvious here, but I'll risk it since I also had a kernel panic after installing. I just had gentoo-sources, ext3 on boot, reiserfs on root, but I don't think any of that matters (at least it didn't in my case). Examine your /boot/grub/menu.lst file. In the line starting with kernel, does it have a /boot/bzImage, or just a /bzImage? Mine had /boot/bzImage, as per the install instructions, but then I had the kernel panic on first boot. I realized that my boot partition had no directory within it called "boot", but rather was mounted as /boot in relation to the root (/) filesystem. So I would try removing the /boot in /boot/bzImage, and give that a whirl (also remove the /boot in the splashimage line).

I wonder if I missed a step in the install instructions, or if there's some assumptions in it that something would happen a certain way while installing. One specific thing: do you guys have a symlink on your boot partition pointing "boot" to "." ? 'cause I don't. :)

Hope this helps!
aja
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: grub? Reply with quote

kyptin wrote:
I realized that my boot partition had no directory within it called "boot", but rather was mounted as /boot in relation to the root (/) filesystem. So I would try removing the /boot in /boot/bzImage, and give that a whirl (also remove the /boot in the splashimage line).

I believe that /boot should have a self-referential symbolic link in it named boot. (In other words, /boot/boot points to /boot). I'm pretty sure this is installed as part of the initial tar file. Kryptin's point is quite correct if you don't have that symlink, but unless you deleted it (or the install scripts have changed), it should be there - in which case prepending /boot/ to bzImage should have no effect.

I think the points above are about the fact (discussed in various places in these forums, search on XFS and Gentoo-Sources) that the latest build of Gentoo sources no longer includes XFS support (unless that has changed VERY recently). If you have XFS partitions, you need either xfs-sources or you need to patch the vanilla kernel with SGI's patch (available on their website).
kyptin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: grub? Reply with quote

aja wrote:
Kryptin's point is quite correct if you don't have that symlink, but unless you deleted it (or the install scripts have changed), it should be there - in which case prepending /boot/ to bzImage should have no effect.

Hrm...yeah...I think I did delete that symlink. :roll: I thought it seemed kinda silly to be able to cd boot forever.... :)
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other mistake that can make it so that you are missing the "hall of mirrors" /boot/boot symlink is if you forget to mount your boot partition under /mnt/gentoo/boot before unpacking the stage tarball at install time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: