View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ewall
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 6:04 am    Post subject: I confess! Reply with quote

I decided to contibute my cycles to the GLUE team as well... but I'll 'fess up that they're from my work laptop which is nearly always booted into Win2k instead of Gentoo. Soon maybe I'll get one or two of my desktop boxen up with Jen Tutu (that's "Gentoo, too" for you non-English-speaking types).
vode
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Signed up and ready to go! Reply with quote

Quote:
So, F@H is running, and it's all set up to do so on boot as a process, but is there any way to view what it's doing? If I run the console version, I can at least see what's happening. They way it is now, I don't even know if it's working or not... :?

Update: Well, I know it's running cause it's using roughly 99.6% of the processor... YEEHAH! Now if only I could monitor what it was doing, I'd be in heaven.

Isn't there a FAHlog.txt log-file in the directory where FAH-client is doing its work?

vode
arkaine23
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Very odd... Reply with quote

HunterCo wrote:
On my user screen at the F@H website, it lists me as being a member since 2001-09-07, but in reality I only just signed up yesterday. Actually, I never actually signed up for anything, I just threw HunterCo into the USER part of the config file.
Was I suppoed to create an account somewhere first? And if so, am I just giving someone else credit for my WU's?

(addendum added at later time: Now that I think of it, the username HunterCo wasn't taken as I did do a search for it before I downloaded the client... weird)

Is the website just wrong?

yes, they are wrong. I have never seen a start date for a user that is correct.
ewall
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: GLUE 4 G@H? Reply with quote

Is there a GLUE team for Genome@Home (http://genomeathome.stanford.edu/), too?

If not, perhaps I should create one...
toliman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just looked at the folding.stanford.edu page to get a new client and noticed something ... there's 2 FAH linux clients...

from http://folding.stanford.edu/linux.html#whichClient :

Quote:
Due to changes in certain new distributions of Linux, we now provide two editions of the Linux console. Functionally, they are identical, but they have different compatibilities. We continue to provide unchanged the same edition we have been and if you have been using this without incident, continue with it.

The new second one ("Linux Console B") is intended for machines which have glibc2.3 or higher. In practice, this usually means machines running new distributions like Mandrake 9.1 (and Gentoo / Redhat 9.0 / etc.). If you run the traditional "Linux Console" on such a distribution, you will encounter trouble getting work assignments, and if you try running the "Linux Console B" on machines with older versions of glibc, the program likely will not even start.

the New FAH client (v3.24) is @

URL http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/release/FAH3Console-LinuxB.exe
MD5 a3f27b7c6403e9a81e424bd2b7c935dd

so far, there is no new ebuild, but if you modify the ebuild and delete/rebuild the digest file, it installs and works just fine.

I think that a new ebuild with a depend check on the version of glibc installed would be a good idea, but i'm not sure if a new ebuild is necessary or not.

suggestions ?
zephyr1256
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, my! So many choices about how to use my CPU cycles for a good cause. 8O

This sounds a little more practical and useful potentially than Seti, although I never know when we're gonna find the alien. Wouldn't want to miss out.
Wrawrat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, folding@home is currently the best cause. I'm already folding for another team though (Sudhian Media, 10688). Sorry! I'll probably waste some CPU cycles for a Gentoo team if you find another good cause. 8)
fant0mas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

already up to 80 users now. :D
jimlynch11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little late, but joined!

seems like time better served than SETI...although i wonder what will happen to the person who owns that computer that discovers intelligent life (when/if it happens) you think that computer would go on ebay for a couple hundred bucks? hahaha
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure anyone noticed, but moved up a few notches today. We are at 109 in rank right now.
Only the first 100 are shown on the stats front page. Good work guys, we
started later than a lot of others, but looks like we might be in the top 100 very soon.
BlueEar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Unit trasfer Reply with quote

Is there a way to transfer work units one did with no team to GLUE? I just joined it, but my first 15 or so units were done without a team and. I'd be glad to count them all under GLUE ...
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like this page might do that. Little hard to see for sure. I know I seen how to somewhere before, but can't find it.

See if this page will do it though.

http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/searchstats
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this is something that has just happened to me or not.
I looked at the log file FAHlog.txt and it has been trying to connect to the server for several days. I tried to run foldingathome in the /opt
folder and it segfaults.
Been running this app for quite awhile. Has some update done this or is it just on my system. Haven't gone much into it.

Running an strace the last item is:

Code:
write(4, "\300R\r\10\0\0\0\0\20\366\377\277P\210\4\10\244\207-\10"..., 148) = 148
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, NULL, + Attempting to get work packet
- Connecting to assignment server
upeek: ptrace(PTRACE_PEEKUSER,3214,44,0): Operation not permitted

But that just looks like it is from trying to do a strace on it. Hmm, not sure what is going on.

Next day: Checked with emerge and didn't have the package installed. Must have installed from download at Stanford before, or portage messed up. Still, reinstalled and working again.
digicosm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Signed up and ready to go! Reply with quote

HunterCo wrote:
Update: Well, I know it's running cause it's using roughly 99.6% of the processor... YEEHAH! Now if only I could monitor what it was doing, I'd be in heaven.

I usually run the client in 'screen', then I can check on its progress anytime, anywhere!

By the way, I just realized that one of the accounts I have been using wasn't assigned to any team! Just joined GLUE on that acct, let's break #100!!!!
digicosm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimlynch11 wrote:
seems like time better served than SETI...although i wonder what will happen to the person who owns that computer that discovers intelligent life (when/if it happens) you think that computer would go on ebay for a couple hundred bucks? hahaha

I don't think any value could or should be attached to the actual computer. IF there is an actual computer, that is; if there is a discovery, it will doubtless be rechecked and reconfirmed by many other computers.
DPA
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey fellow folders. I am thinking of breaking with my current team (2cpu.com/dallen) and going with a linux based team. Does the GLUE team have a team captain and is this team/site really committed to the folding project?
Naughtyus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a GLUE team for most of the major distributed computing projects it seems - with different people heading each effort.
Mindstab
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: joined Reply with quote

Just switched from glue seti to glue folding ;)
first work unit was worth 70 points, so yeah, hopefully I'll help
Yarrick
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are the points based on speed of some kind, the workunit's importance or some other factor?
Mindstab
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't quite know yet
but my first two work units, which in total didn't seem to take a day got me a total of 15 points, and then this bad boy which took well over a day (2?) was worth 70

I'm thinking they may have some algorithm that noticed my quick turn around time on the first 2 units, and sent me something larger to deal witth because i was capable of it. Only fairly it's worth more points.

I know any more than that tho :)
superman_440
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll hop on the GLUE team :D
just wish I could bring my 11000 points from my last team .. .. .. :cry:
ColeSlaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just joined the Folding GLUE team this past week. You may have noticed that I'm already rated #56 in the team. I think we could have a lot more users folding if I can become 56th on the team in one week. I noticed that the team actually dropped to 110 in the rankings as well. :cry:

I'm contributing 4 computers to the GLUE cause.

Come on guys, lets make the top 100
gdoubleu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: how do i change niceness? Reply with quote

ok, i'm trying to change the niceness, but my question is how to change the niceness of the FahCore_65.exe process.

when i change the niceness that calls foldingathome in the init script, it only affects the niceness of the foldingathome process (which appears to be pointless because the core process is what seems to eat the processor cycles, not the foldingathome process) but it does not do anything to the niceness of the core. the core still runs at a niceness of 19.
Senso
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's weird that nobody talked about distributed.net. It may not be as 'ethical' as F@H but it's still an important project. Currently, they're trying to break the RC5-72 encryption algorythm. Since I'm #4 of my team (Everything2), I'm not sure I want to switch to F@H. And because of me, Linux-client work units beat FreeBSD-client work units in my team. But still, distributed.net estimates that the RC5-72 (that's the RC5 algo, 72 bits) will be completed in about 550,000 days at the current rate. 1500 years... Sheesh... All right, I'm emerging F@H!
No comment!
gdoubleu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niceness? ^^
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: