x-setup from the livecd tools mini-howto + full auto detect
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kabage
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: x-setup from the livecd tools mini-howto + full auto detect Reply with quote

First this is a supplement to this post https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-244837-highlight-mini+livecd.html which is quite large and hard to sift the goodies out of.

Goodie #1 qemu - For cdrom boot emulation of the livecd image you made. (before burning - very slow - amazingly accurate.)
qemu I have found as an excellent emulator to test your livecd iso image before burning. Many in the above thread have had problems and qemu is not perfect. It seems to have some module
issues when emulating the modprobe. Example: When I emulate my image it cant find my soundcard so pretends to load every alsa module. The real image works flawlessly.
But as far as emulating the cdrom boot - It has been dead on for me.

(outside chrooted environment)
Code:
emerge qemu -pv
emerge qemu

For 32 bit emulation
Code:
qemu -cdrom livecd.iso -boot d

For 64 bit emulation
Code:
qemu-system-x86_64 -cdrom livecd.iso -boot d

Goodie #2 livecd-tools

(inside chrooted environment for all of goodie #2)

Code:
emerge livecd-tools -pv
emerge livecd-tools

If they are not already loaded livecd-tools, should load (depends on) , hwsetup, kudzu-knoppix, ddcxinfo-knoppix (x86 only) and mkxf86config

If you are on 2005+ profile in your chroot udev should be in once you build your system + hotplug.
If not put those in for good measue and coldplug too.

Code:
emerge hotplug udev coldplug -pv
emerge hotplug udev coldplug

Code:

rc-update add coldplug autoconfig mkxf86config x-setup hotplug boot

This should give your cd full auto hardware detection just like gentoos livecd - except we take it a step further with x-setup

Part 3 x-setup to enable opengl-update-(ati, nvidix, or xorg-x11) or what I did to get it working again (inside your chroot)

What it does do...
It does detect my nvidia and does an opengl-update nvidia

What it doesn't do ...
It doesnt reorganize the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file for the detected card
It doesnt load the module for the detected card

Heres my work around , and things needed for this to work.

3-1. You will need to build modules for both ati and nvidia -- in your chroot environment.
YOUR chroot kernel may be different than the booted kernel. The ati module may not build - thought I havn't read up on it like nvidia; which does have a work
around for building a module, for a kernel that you are not booted in. -- If you want to save a cd - do the reading there is probably a way, but a cd with just vesa isn't too bad.

If your not booted in the same kernel as you are using in your chroot environment you may as well burn your iso without x-setup chroot back into your harddrive enviornment

By the way since you probably, and I know I did built a full blown kernel including drm (ati driver doesn't like this ), my drm stuff was all modular so in theory should not interfere
Nvidia complained about one of the drm modules sis I believe but of course it works fine anyway. But -- If someone can confirm this either way for the ati card I would appreciate it.

So heres an example from my booted cdrom - ati and nvidia modules not built yet.
(I put a /mnt/gentoo dir in my cd image so it is already there, you can mount to any rw dir.

Code:
mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/gentoo   **or whatever your root partition is I'm using dmraid so its /dev/mapper/pdc_ciiaceddj7 , you do know where your root partition is yes)

Then chroot into your work environment like normal

Then I ran

Code:
emerge ati-drivers ati-drivers-extra nvidia-kernel nividia-glx nvidia-settings -pv
emerge ati-drivers ati-drivers-extra nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx nvidia-settings

Modules ready.

3-2. Now boot your regular system and chroot into your working area.

Code:
cd /usr/sbin
cp x-setup x-setup.orig
nano -w x-setup

make your functions in ati_gl and nv_gl like below
Code:

ati_gl() {
        echo "ATI card detected."
        GLTYPE=ati
        modprobe fglrx     
        mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.fglrx /etc/X11/xorg.conf
}

nv_gl() {
        echo "NVIDIA card detected."
        GLTYPE=nvidia
        modprobe nvidia
        mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia /etc/X11/xorg.conf
}

3-3. Now as you have noticed you need to make an /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia and /etc/X11/xorg.conf.ati -generically optimized for their manufacturers.

** I can only verify this works with the vesa , nividia driver, since I no longer have an ati card around.

That does it not too bad..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: