Burning divx's to CD/DVD for a standalone player
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gi1242
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Burning divx's to CD/DVD for a standalone player Reply with quote

Hi All,

I own a standalone DIVX player (RJ1500-DVXII), and have had difficulty burning DVD's compatiable with it. Here's how I finally resolved it:

1. If you burn your DIVX to a CD, do NOT enable the jouliet extensions. If you do, your subtitle files will not be recognised.

2. If you burn your DIVX files to a DVD, then do the following: Emerge dvd+rw-tools and cdrtools. If you use cdrtools earlier than 2.01, just use
Code:
growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -dvd-video divxfiles

If you use cdrtools 2.01 or later, then you need to patch mkisofs. The reason bieng standalone players expect DVD's to either be video dvd's, or contain the UDF filesystem. Now mkisofs can create the udf filesystem (using -udf), HOWEVER the udf is in alpha status and is ALWAYS copuled with the Jouliet extensions. Now mkisofs messes up versioning when it writes the Jouliet extensions. As a result of this, your standalone player will either not be able to read your DVD (like some Philips players and the RJ1500), or will not be able to read SRT files, or will mess something else up.

What you need to do is apply arost's patch at http://arost.redirectme.net/sw/mkisofs/ Now create your DVD using
Code:
growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -udf divxfiles

There is a link on the above website describing the problem in detail. If you find a better method (i.e. a way to create UDF filesystems on a DVD+R by something that doesn't claim to have only "alpha" support) let me know.

If the above doesn't work on your player, I probably can't help you. But if you find something usefull share your wisdom. A usefull site is http://www.videohelp.com :)

GI
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: