pls. help on installation doubts
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeeson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: pls. help on installation doubts Reply with quote

I rebuilt the kernel the way u told and the errors went off very clear....
This gave me an idea on the type of errors I can do in Linux being a windows /dos user...
Now, I will be trying to setup Xfree86 etc. with gnome. I wonder whether installation manual at gentoo.org will suffice my need.
Before that, I am trying to solve another warning I am receiving while I am booting:

"Caching Service dependencies....
It is not a good idea to have more than one service provide the same virutal service (logger) !"

It seems by mistake I emerged 2 system loggers after kernel compilation. Can I remove the 1 I don't like?
Also I need to check whether cron package is working or whether they are also duplicated like this...

Its a whole lot of mistakes; still I want to push along with this...
thanx
Jeeson.

a wrote:

I recommend splitting this into several commands:
make dep
# make clean
# make bzImage
# make modules
# make modules_install
# mount /boot
# mv /boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage.orig
# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot

Last edited by jeeson on Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:38 am; edited 3 times in total
de4d
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theoretically the i686-pentium3 tarball should work, b/c celeron is p3 core with less L1 cache.
your harddisk/ram size/whatever system layout dont play any role when choosing an optimized release
goosnargh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: pls. help on pre-installation doubts Reply with quote

jeeson wrote:

hda1 as Bootable-Primary 10GB for WINME (working ok now).
hda2 as 100MB Logical Bootable Linux (ex2)
hda3 as 128MB Logical Bootable Linux Swap
hda4 as rest free space Logical Linux (Reiserfs).

I want to know whether hda4 must be made bootbale for proper working of gentoo...

No, infact you don't have to make any of those partitions (possibly except windows one) bootable if you are going to use grub or lilo as bootloader.
jeeson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: pls. help on pre-installation doubts Reply with quote

Thanx friends for ur fast support.

But it seems I am in another problem: I downloaded stage3-i686 tar file and append it into my gentoo live bootable cdrom such that stage3 will be available after booting from cd-rom. Now that cdrom is not working!!! I tried with another CD since i don;t want to download again thru gentoo but new cd also is not running. It shows some error while booting.

I don;t know what to do know with this...

jeeson wrote:
I am a very new linux user and have downloaded livecd-basic-1.4_rc1-r2.iso from ftp and burned a bootable CD out of it.

I want to know which stage3 tar file must i need to download for my hardware setup given below:
Celeron 700Mhz, HDD 20GB with WIN-ME preinstalled (no floppy drive), 64MB Ram, CD-ROM, Intel810 motherboard with inbuilt sound, etc.

Can some1 please tell me which stage3 tarfile must i download for a full installation?

Further, I want to configure my hdd as given in installation manual; can some1 pl. advice reg. my partition setup:

hda1 as Bootable-Primary 10GB for WINME (working ok now).
hda2 as 100MB Logical Bootable Linux (ex2)
hda3 as 128MB Logical Bootable Linux Swap
hda4 as rest free space Logical Linux (Reiserfs).

I want to know whether hda4 must be made bootbale for proper working of gentoo...

thanx in advance,
Jeeson.
theotherphil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boot up the original ISO and follow the instructions up to and including mounting the partitions (position 7). Now replace position 8 with:

cd /mnt/gentoo

wget http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/releases/1.4_rc1/x86/stage3-i686_pentium3-1.4_rc1.tar.bz2

which will download the stage3 tarball to /mnt/gentoo. Now carry on from position 9 in the instructions.
goosnargh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: pls. help on pre-installation doubts Reply with quote

Quote:
But it seems I am in another problem: I downloaded stage3-i686 tar file and append it into my gentoo live bootable cdrom such that stage3 will be available after booting from cd-rom. Now that cdrom is not working!!!

umm, what exactly did you do to "append" that? Try copying the file into iso using something like WinISO (if you already have a workin linux copy, you don't need a special program, iso can be directly mounted) before you burn the cd. It will work. Also you need all stage1,2 and 3 tarballs if you will do a stage 3 install.
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: pls. help on pre-installation doubts Reply with quote

goosnargh wrote:
Also you need all stage1,2 and 3 tarballs if you will do a stage 3 install.

This is not correct. You only need one of them. The stage3 tar already contains stages 1 and 2.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with fghellar. This topic was extensively debated in Stage 3 install procedure?.
goosnargh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into problems with untarring only stage 3 about the time 1.3a was released which was solved by untarring all packs, in order. I then assumed the error was in installation documents rather than the stage 3 tarball. Thanks for correcting me, if I ever do a stage 3 install, that should save me some time.
jeeson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: pls. help on pre-installation doubts Reply with quote

1st, thanx for helping me in installation...

I installed gentoo 1.41 from livecd-basic-1.4_rc1-r2.iso (I needed to download the portage tree even after having stage3 tar file with me).

NOW, I have booted in to gentoo with some problem. While making doing 'menu config' i disabled 'dev file system' by mistake. So, It gave me an error 'Your kernel has been complied without DEVFS support. u will have to compile it to kernel for gentoo to work properly.'
So, I compiled the kernel from 'menu config' again but the error is't going.

Further, while booting it shows "modprobe: can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r9/modules.dep' Such file or directory can't be found.

can some1 please give me hint over these problems? I also want to verify whether the partitions are mounted correctly while booting or whether my booting process is correct... Is there any way for all this...

I never thought it would be this much painful...

thanx...
Jeeson.

[quote="jeeson"]I am a very new linux user and have downloaded livecd-basic-1.4_rc1-r2.iso from ftp and burned a bootable CD out of it.

I want to know which stage3 tar file must i need to download for my hardware setup given below:
Celeron 700Mhz, HDD 20GB with WIN-ME preinstalled (no floppy drive), 64MB Ram, CD-ROM, Intel810 motherboard with inbuilt sound, etc.
jeeson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:17 pm    Post subject: installation problems... Reply with quote

thanx friends, for ur fast support. I recompiled kernel to avoid much of the problems. Now it seems, I have installed gentoo almost 70%. It is booting fine, but with this problem:

'modprobe: Can't open dependancies file /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r9/modules.dep No such file or directory'.
This is shown while booting is started, i.e., before login prompt shown. I am afraid I can't go forth to next step without correcting this1 too.

Will the 10s of 1000s of source files be compiled when 'make install' is done? I don't feel so; all souce files are lying here n there in my hdd.
I also want to know whether my system is installed properly. is there any utility to check this.
Also please tell me whether I can use both KDE and Gnome packages in my system.

thanx.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you remember to run "make modules" and "make modules_install"? Does the directory /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r9 directory exist? Does running "update-modules force" work? Are you sure you mounted /boot before copying bzImage to it?
jeeson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r9 directory dosen't exist. Infact while booting linux is 'checking for module dependancies' and then the error is shown.

The commands u have mentioned here are not there in the installation instructions on website. I haven't seen and used these commands.
I am booting in to linux through gurb interface only. When I used the mv command (as in code listing 28 of installation instructions at website) the bzimage didn't get moved. But the cp command worked. So I even copied bzImage to /boot/bzImage.orig and grub refers to that file only for booting.
Further, I once recompiled linux to avoid devfs error for I didn't enable it 1st time: the error got eliminated; this make me feel I am booting right.

I would like to know whether at this stage I can continue installation procedures for X, Gnome, etc. can will cause some problem because of the above lib error?

thanx for helping me.

rac wrote:
Did you remember to run "make modules" and "make modules_install"? Does the directory /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r9 directory exist? Does running "update-modules force" work? Are you sure you mounted /boot before copying bzImage to it?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeeson wrote:
The /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r9 directory dosen't exist. Infact while booting linux is 'checking for module dependancies' and then the error is shown.

The commands u have mentioned here are not there in the installation instructions on website. I haven't seen and used these commands.

Code listing 28 says:
Code:
# make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install
# cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot

Quote:
# make dep
# make clean
# make bzImage
# make modules
# make modules_install
# mount /boot

Can you try it that way, making sure that if any of the make commands fail with errors that you stop at that step and fix the error, getting help if you need it?
jeeson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This gave me an idea on the type of errors I can do in Linux being a windows /dos user...
Now, I will be trying to setup Xfree86 etc. with gnome. I wonder whether installation manual at gentoo.org will suffice my need.
Before that, I am trying to solve another warning I am receiving while I am booting:

It is not a good idea to have more than one service provide the same virutal service (logger) !"

It seems by mistake I emerged 2 system loggers after kernel compilation. Can I remove the 1 I don't like?
Also I need to check whether cron package is working or whether they are also duplicated like this...

thanx
Jeeson.

make dep
# make clean
# make bzImage
# make modules
# make modules_install
# mount /boot
# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot[/quote]
Can you try it that way, making sure that if any of the make commands fail with errors that you stop at that step and fix the error, getting help if you need it?[/quote]
jeeson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: pls. help on installation doubts Reply with quote

thanx
Jeeson.

a wrote:

make dep
# make clean
# make bzImage
# make modules
# make modules_install
# mount /boot

Can you try it that way, making sure that if any of the make commands fail with errors that you stop at that step and fix the error, getting help if you need it?[/quote]
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A search for "virtual and logger" found more then one virtual service logger?. Please follow up to that thread on this issue.
jeeson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:48 am    Post subject: gentoo installation... Reply with quote

I have checked this section and removed the duplicated data.

Further, I have downloaded all gnome packages for Gentoo...!!!
and emerged it using emerge gnome
How can I recompile all of these packages which emerge have done for me automatically after downloading?
I am in the process of configuring XFree86 and getting some errors.
Seems need to work for long....

thanx all for your help, especially rac.

Jeeson

rac wrote:
A search for "virtual and logger" found more then one virtual service logger?. Please follow up to that thread on this issue.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: