Bouiaw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These patch will be included in KDE 3.1, so we have just to wait for :wink:
tale
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Mandrake Speed Reply with quote

This afternoon I installed the new Mandrake 9 on my box. I was indeed VERY suprised to see KDE run like hell... i thought my Gentoo box was optimized like hell but a "normal" Mandrake Installation runs KDE THAT much faster than Gentoo does... There must be some special patch (kde OR kernel, probably both) I do not know about. And yes, i have compiled my kernel with the low latency and preempt stuff etc. pp.

I wouldn't have believed the speed difference if i haven't seen it for myself... very strange! (and i don't want to switch to mandrake... so let's try to find out what makes Mandrakes KDE faster than Gentoos)
Klavs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could MDK be recompiling KDE with profiling? profiling should give a big speedup..? Anyone tried to recompile their Gentoo KDE with profile-data?

Klavs Klavsen
Denmark

Working with Unix is like wrestling a worthy opponent.
Working with windows is like attacking a small whining child
who is carrying a .38.
iplayfast
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use gentoo and mandrake, and haven't really noticed a speed difference. BUT, one thing that I was pleasently surprised with is that Mandrake correctly detected my hardware (sis garbage chipset) and correctly configured it.

I use kde for serious work, because it's got all the apps I need handy. I also use flux box, but I'm a glutton for software and Mandrake gives it to me. I use Kmail for my mail client and ssh terminals.

For learning on my own, and trying out new kernels etc I use Gentoo. Also Gentoo has a different package selection available so I can satisfy my software thirst!

One thing that I will say about both though, is I'm glad I'm using linux for some contract work. IT IS SO MUCH NICER THEN WINDOWS! (and I'm talking about desktop as well).
Scott_the_Great
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I've noticed my 2 gentoo boxes actually running faster (especially KDE) with -O2 (instead of -O3) in my CFLAGS. This provides a more pronounced difference on my P3-650 w/256MB than it does on my Athlon 1.2 w/512MB.

IIRC, the only difference between -O2 and -O3 is the inclusion of -finline-functions, which is a questionable optimization (in my mind) and undoubtedly uses more memory...

Just a thought.

---Scott
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mandrake Speed Reply with quote

tale wrote:
yes, i have compiled my kernel with the low latency and preempt stuff etc. pp.

Both of them? What kernel version are you using? I don't use either of them, but I got the impression from Preempt kernel is less responsive?? that having both of them turned on was often a major lose.
aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old gcc2 (gento 1.2) system with kde 3.0.2 running that I use mainly.
I am trying to build a gcc 3.2 system that is as fast as it cracked up to be, but I have yet to build something that is at least equally fast as the gentoo 1.2 system. I have tried with many optimizations but the result with kde 3.0.3 is always (3 tries) unsatisfactory. X is less spiffy and kde is noticably less responsive. Very strange as I was really expecting some improvement on my duron 900 using gcc 3.2.
The only things I can think of is KDE 3.0.3 being slower that 3.0.2. , but one wouldn't expect that effect being larger that the gcc upgrade.
Also I am running the older kernel (r7) on the gentoo 1.2 system, maybe it is better?
Or something in these is very wrong for my duron:
Code:

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=athlon -O3 -pipe -m3dnow -mmmx -fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer -falign-functions=4 -ffast-math -fno-exceptions"
CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon -O3 -pipe -m3dnow -mmmx -fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer -falign-functions=4 -ffast-math -fno-exceptions"

Mind you, I have built a gcc 3.1 system as well, and that was alrright!
Very good speed!
Something is fishy with gcc 3.2. Maybe that is why we are waintin on gentoo 1.4 to be released :(
splakdatter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
arkane wrote:
Well, even if you don't use it, having an optimized KDE setup is advantageous to the distribution as a whole
I agree completely. That is why I suggested someone at MDK might know of a way to optimize it. Speed is the main reason I've chosen to avoid KDE. Otherwise, my only complaint is the 'K' everywhere. I think I've finally figured out why too. To me, the 'K' appears cheap. Especially in the logo. Yes, I know the G is present everywhere in Gnome (I like the footprint icon better). Perhaps because I pronounce the G sliently it bugs me less. Anyhow... if I run across a "How to optimize KDE on Gentoo" thread, I'll probably give KDE a shot.

As for the 'desktop', you might check out this post about idesk. Not sure if it works in WindowMaker.

The "k" bothers you because is reminds one of a trip to Kmart and the blue light special. But they don't have Kmart in Europe and don't have the negative association.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splakdatter wrote:
The "k" bothers you because is reminds one of a trip to Kmart and the blue light special. But they don't have Kmart in Europe and don't have the negative association.
:lol: Actually, I don't have that much of a problem with K-Mart. If it were WDE, then I might concede that it reminded me of Wal-Mart (which I despise). I think my problem may be a holdover from when QT was not freely available. Who knows. Really not a pertinent issue.

If someone posts steps on how to 'speed up' KDE significantly, I'll give it a try. I've given up on Gnome, at least until they restore functionality to it. This is way OT though.

Has anyone reviewed the Optimize KDE 3.0.1 for Gentoo thread?
mjd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried Mandrake nine yet but I just emerged Kde 3.1 beta 2 and it is way snappyier than the beta 1 or 3.0.3, Konq takes less than two seconds to start up and the Kde startup is faster also.

Takes forever to compile though started this morning around nine and it finished around 4 on a dual athlon.

Martin
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had any problems with 3.1?
I'm using WindowMaker right now, but am always open to new environments. 3.0.3 just seemed like a memory hog, and was a bit slow at some things. (the memory thing was my biggest concern) I'm compiling my system with -O2 as we speak in order to lower some of the memory taken up. But, I was just wondering if you've run into any bugs yourself while using 3.1_beta2?
mjd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't found any bugs yet so far but its only been a few hours I haven't tried printing yet and I had some problems in beta 1 with that. It runs very well I find it hard to go back to 3.0.3.

I haven't tried it on a low memory computer so not sure if it will be better or worse.

Martin
aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjd wrote:
I haven't tried Mandrake nine yet but I just emerged Kde 3.1 beta 2 and it is way snappyier than the beta 1 or 3.0.3, Konq takes less than two seconds to start up and the Kde startup is faster also.

Takes forever to compile though started this morning around nine and it finished around 4 on a dual athlon.

Martin

Here on a "single" duron at 900 Mhz it takes less than one second to start konq in kde 3.0.2. I guess I shouldn't be complaining then.
Mustard007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

I have the same speed feeling with RedHat 8.0 too ! He's so fast ! Gnome, Gdm, and KDE load a lot faster than Gentoo...what the trick ? I stay with Gentoo but we have to find the trick !
Mandrake 9.0 is faster too.

All use EXT3.

Strange, for a highly optimized flags system...
Bouiaw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have perhaps the solution. KDE must be comiled with the option "-z combreloc" wich is not activated by default.

Don't forget to merge binutils-2.12+ in order to take advantage of combreloc ...
aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bouiaw wrote:
I have perhaps the solution. KDE must be comiled with the option "-z combreloc" wich is not activated by default.

Don't forget to merge binutils-2.12+ in order to take advantage of combreloc ...

As fas as I know and am able to check, it IS enabled by default (since gentoo 1.2 )

Code:

LD_DEBUG=statistics konqueror

tells me that relocations are being cached, and thats what it is all about.
maw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I gather, Mandrake have done a lot of work speeding up KDE, and Red Hat have done so much to GNOME and KDE anyway, they probably threw in a load of speedups too. Of course, we hope that they'll both end up in the main CVS trees for the respective projects so we Gentoo users can benefit from them too :-)
aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maw wrote:
From what I gather, Mandrake have done a lot of work speeding up KDE, and Red Hat have done so much to GNOME and KDE anyway, they probably threw in a load of speedups too. Of course, we hope that they'll both end up in the main CVS trees for the respective projects so we Gentoo users can benefit from them too :-)

The strangeness of it all is that on my gentoo 1.2 setup KDE(3.0.2) runs faster (very fast in my opinion) than any other distro (RH8,MDK9). On Gentoo 1.4 I just cant get KDE(3.0.3) to run as fast. It's almost plain sluggish.

There is something strange with the combination kde 3.0.3/gcc3.2/gentoo. Dunno what..
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aardvark wrote:
There is something strange with the combination kde 3.0.3/gcc3.2/gentoo. Dunno what..
Compilation options perhaps?
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It went to the Mandrake forum...
http://mandrakeforum.com/article.php?lang=en&sid=2472
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MandrakeForum wrote:
OVERLOAD mode, comments visible only to registred users!
:lol:
gillesg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just create a user in the Mandrake forum
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gillesg wrote:
just create a user in the Mandrake forum
I'm not that interested, and I have enough user accounts.
dioxmat
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone tried the '-z combreloc' gcc flag to compile kde ? its from kde-devel. (note : you have to use a very recent binutils for this)
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When some of you are saying that KDE is faster in red hat are you just talking about application startup times?

Maybe someone could try this in red hat and post the results:
LD_DEBUG=statistics konqueror
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: