View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sotol
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Gnome apps and KDE equivs Reply with quote

I use gnome apps and have been curious about using the KDE equivalents to them, just for funsies.

Any thought on what the KDE equivalents to the apps I use are would be greatly appreciated. Better? Worse? Same?

Anywho, here they are:

Totem
Gaim
Rhythmbox
Gimp
Gnome-Terminal
Firefox (I know this will be konqueror, but does it work as well?)

Thanks!
syko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totem - Kaboodle, or, umm, what's the name of that other one?
Gaim - Kopete
Rhythmbox - JuK
Gimp - there is only one Gimp...
Gnome-Terminal - whatever the KDE folks call their term... KTerm?
Firefox - Konqueror

I prefer Totem, and Gaim to their KDE counterparts, while I don't use Rhythmbox (I like Muine), and a terminal is a terminal is a terminal. Firefox isn't technically a gnome app, but I would use it regardless of my desktop, and the same goes for Gimp. If I'm using KDE, however, I will use the KDE apps despite my preferences because they fit in better.

As to whether or not Konqueror works as well as Firefox - it's subjective and it depends a lot on how you use a browser and what you use it for. Personally, I prefer Firefox, but there's a world of people out there who would disagree. I just like the tabbing in Firefox more.
georwell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm perhaps you mean gtk apps? Gimp and firefox really aren't gnome apps they are just programmed with gtk. I am not sure about Gaim but I don't think it is installed with gnome either...???
Boris27
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, there is a Plastik skin on kdelook.org that makes firefox blend in really nice with your KDE desktop.
Thalion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Gnome apps and KDE equivs Reply with quote

Totem => Kaffeine
Gaim => Kopete
Rhythmbox => JuK
Gimp => *MISSING*
Gnome-Terminal => Konsole
Firefox => Konqueror (yes, it does work just as well)
dmouritsendk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georwell wrote:
Hmmm perhaps you mean gtk apps? Gimp and firefox really aren't gnome apps they are just programmed with gtk. I am not sure about Gaim but I don't think it is installed with gnome either...???

Why do you feel that apps should be installed with gnome to be gnome applications?

Doesn't a application which uses gnome specific widgets like GnomeCanvas qualify as gnome applications even if they're not included with the Gnome DE?
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome apps and KDE equivs Reply with quote

Thalion wrote:

Gimp => *MISSING*

I think the most promising in this regard would be Krita ( http://www.koffice.org/krita/pics/konqi_krita.png ).... which has actually been quite active lately. Most of the core is done.. the 2001-era GUI just needs to be updated.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmouritsendk wrote:
Doesn't a application which uses gnome specific widgets like GnomeCanvas qualify as gnome applications even if they're not included with the Gnome DE?

Yes, but the above apps (gimp && gaim) are pure GTK apps.

firefox is a special case, as it is a XUL app, not a GTK app. Someone could revive the mozilla-qt project again :-) ( http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=178987 )
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

??? - K3b

As for the others except for The Gimp, I can't really say I prefer one over another.
Athas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shm wrote:

That doesn't really matter in the end, what matters is that they integrate perfectly into a GNOME-desktop, but look like shit in a Qt/KDE-environment.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athas wrote:
shm wrote:

That doesn't really matter in the end, what matters is that they integrate perfectly into a GNOME-desktop, but look like shit in a Qt/KDE-environment.

Err that goes for all other non-QT apps as well...
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athas wrote:
shm wrote:

see http://freedesktop.org/Software/gtk-qt
F16PilotJumper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that with 'apply colors to non-KDE applications', the LighthouseBlue GTK theme fits pretty nice with Plastik.
Sotol
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do u guys like Kaffeine and Juk compared to Totem and Rhythmbox? I like the clean interface of rhythmbox, along with the radiostations.

--edit--

I was looking at their websites and both projects look very cool, although it doesn't look like Juk has radio support.

Question for KDE app non KDE users. I use fluxbox and whenever I wanna try a new GTK2 theme I can use the theme switcher script 'switch2'. Is there such a beast for KDE apps? Or would I have to lauch the gnome-theme-manager KDE equivalent? Using gnome-theme-manager resizes my desktop and I end up having to exit and restart. Not much fun.

Thanks for the answers!
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kittytime wrote:

Question for KDE app non KDE users. I use fluxbox and whenever I wanna try a new GTK2 theme I can use the theme switcher script 'switch2'. Is there such a beast for KDE apps?

qtconfig, which comes with Qt
regeya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athas wrote:
shm wrote:

Personally, I use toolkit styles/themes that look roughly the same in both environments. Right now I'm using QtCurve v1, which is a simpler-looking version of RH's *Curve, and uses KDE colorschemes.

I like it well enough that, right now, I'm testing GNOME 2.6 (seems like a nice proof-of-concept; when does the final, more feature-complete version come out?) and am using QtCurve v1 with it. :D
soaringcondor
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of things. For KDE, a great Totem replacement is KMPlayer since you can use either Xine or MPlayer as a backend and it integrates as a KPart which means Konqueror and other KDE apps can use it to play supported files.

Juk dosn't support radio but amaroK does.

There isn't really another great image manipulation program like the Gimp for linux, certainly not one using QT. However, if you use the freedesktop.org project to integrate the themes it looks just as nice.
abzs2k
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome apps and KDE equivs Reply with quote

Thalion wrote:

For some reason I feel knoqueror is a rather lame equivilant of The Great Mozilla Firefox.
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome apps and KDE equivs Reply with quote

abzs2k wrote:
Thalion wrote:

For some reason I feel knoqueror is a rather lame equivilant of The Great Mozilla Firefox.

And would you be so kind to share this reason with us? 8O
abzs2k
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome apps and KDE equivs Reply with quote

ralph wrote:
abzs2k wrote:
Thalion wrote:

Mozilla Firefox is an Production Quality, Standard-Compliant, Cross-Platform, Asthetically Elegant Web Browser. It is based on the Gecko rendering engine (remember they've been in the business for years).

Konquerer on the other hand is a tacky looking app attempting to be a file manager, web browser and a universal document viewer.
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome apps and KDE equivs Reply with quote

ralph wrote:
abzs2k wrote:
Thalion wrote:

IMO Konq and Firefox both have their advantages and disadvantages. Konq is lighter and faster, but a bit more crash prone, and still has problems with many more sites than Firefox. Firefos handles nearly every site I go to just fine but is a cpu and memory hog. with Firebird-0.7 it was not uncommon for it to be using more memory than everything else on my system combined after running for a couple days. I havent uesd firefox enough yet to see if it still leaks that much memory. Since upgrading to kde-3.2 I've been using konq for the forums and other sites that I know work with it simply because of its speed. But for things like yahoo mail and others I still use firefox.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome apps and KDE equivs Reply with quote

abzs2k wrote:
It is based on the Gecko rendering engine (remember they've been in the business for years).

bleh, khtml is the future.. /me huggles safari (my main web browser) and konqueror (improving all of the time.. use it whenever I'm in Linux). There will be a lot of merges coming in from Safari into khtml in the next few weeks; hopefully some will get merged into KDE 3.2.3 (like the vast improvements from KDE 3.2.0 to KDE 3.2.1)

Firefox is a good web browser, but it takes the lowest common demoninator out of everything. It is especially lacking in integration, from my experience. On Windows, IE beats it out in integration. In OSX, Safari and Camino beat it out. In Linux, Konqueror and Epiphany beat it out.

I love the whole idea of extentions, but from my experience, half of the extentions in the Firefox extentions site are broken at any time.

Quote:
Konquerer on the other hand is a tacky looking app attempting to be a file manager, web browser and a universal document viewer.

If you don't like that Konqueror is more than just a file manager, just don't use the other parts, you're not forced to.
fernandotcl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome apps and KDE equivs Reply with quote

PowerFactor wrote:
IMO Konq and Firefox both have their advantages and disadvantages. Konq is lighter and faster, but a bit more crash prone, and still has problems with many more sites than Firefox. Firefos handles nearly every site I go to just fine but is a cpu and memory hog. with Firebird-0.7 it was not uncommon for it to be using more memory than everything else on my system combined after running for a couple days. I havent uesd firefox enough yet to see if it still leaks that much memory. Since upgrading to kde-3.2 I've been using konq for the forums and other sites that I know work with it simply because of its speed. But for things like yahoo mail and others I still use firefox.

Of course Firefox is being a memory hog in your system. Your system is Qt (KDE) and Firefox is GTK. It would be strange if it were the opposite.
fernandotcl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome apps and KDE equivs Reply with quote

shm wrote:
Firefox is a good web browser, but it takes the lowest common demoninator out of everything. It is especially lacking in integration, from my experience. On Windows, IE beats it out in integration. In OSX, Safari and Camino beat it out. In Linux, Konqueror and Epiphany beat it out.

Firefox wasn't designed to integrate into your desktop. Epiphany, Konqueror and IE were. There is no way to compare them, so. Firefox was designed to be the browser for people that don't care about it, that is, mostly for commonboxes and other alternative wm's users.
Epyon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome apps and KDE equivs Reply with quote

fernandotcl wrote:

Of course Firefox is being a memory hog in your system. Your system is Qt (KDE) and Firefox is GTK. It would be strange if it were the opposite.

Firefox/Mozilla use a lot of ram no matter what desktop environment you're running.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: