Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious wrote:
I have cooked prawns in this fashion while on a long camping expedition ). You put the frog in tepid water, and raise the temperature gently.

Forum == Off the Wall: check.
Ability to post material to the forums regarding activities some societies consider "feminine" in hopes klieber will tell me to go chop some wood and visit a strip club: check.

When cooking prawns, you want to do the opposite of this, or else they become dry and tasteless. You want to get the water boiling as hot as you possibly can, and then toss them in it only long enough to heat them thoroughly - less than a minute unless you live in kanuslupus land or Lake Titicaca. That way the muscle tissue doesn't shrink too much.
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
When cooking prawns, you want to do the opposite of this, or else they become dry and tasteless.

:!:

I phrased this badly. I mean that prawns will also attempt to leap out of the boiling water. Not that thats going to save you, fellas!

:twisted:

And, I might add cooking is a great male activity! I dunno what kurt was saying about eating raw oysters, but damn, that's just like having a bad cold.

-- Curious
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious wrote:
The answer is slowly. You can't throw a frog into a boiling pot of water - it'll jump straight back out
Lids people, lids. They give up after a while. Seriously though, I'd not stay in the presence of a person that boiled a creature alive slowly. Now that you've described it, yes I have heard it before, I just never seem to recall it (as in, this isn't the first time I didn't recognize it).

rac wrote:
Ability to post material to the forums regarding activities some societies consider "feminine" in hopes klieber will tell me to go chop some wood and visit a strip club: check.
Don't forget to smash beer cans on your forehead or get into a fight after the strip club.

Curious wrote:
And, I might add cooking is a great male activity!
Most certainly is... some of the best chefs are men (not that women don't make excellent chefs).
Quote:
I dunno what kurt was saying about eating raw oysters, but damn, that's just like having a bad cold.
If you spot a group of chest beating Neanderthals eating raw oysters at a bar, I will not be among them. I can only imagine that eating raw oysters is something done when blind drunk. I'm guessing I'll never eat a raw oyster.
jthj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of boiling live animals. I was having a discusion with a freind about lobster and he said that he dosen't like it b/c it bothers him that they scream when thrown into the pot of boiling water. I think it's just steam escaping from their shells as I dont' think they have vocal chords. Any thoughts?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is 100% TCPA-content free.

kanuslupus wrote:
Seriously though, I'd not stay in the presence of a person that boiled a creature alive slowly.

I am of two minds of this. It might actually be more humane, because they are not perceiving the shock, as incremental changes in temperature are probably not enough to cross the pain threshold.

My parents got a hot tub when I was in high school. For some strange reason, I decided that I was going to stay in it until it got hot. We started filling it up around noon with a garden hose, and I put on a swimsuit and got in the cold water. I spent about 9 hours in there until it got hot, eating both lunch and dinner (and doing some homework) while standing in the tub. People would come out from time to time to chat with me and asked me if it was getting hotter. I had no idea. They would reach a finger in and announce "oh yes, it's definitely getting hotter", and all I could do is shrug.

Quote:
I'm guessing I'll never eat a raw oyster.

I think you're missing out. My two favorite types of oyster are the ones with the flat frisbee or scallop-shaped shells that come from the Pacific Northwest (Quilcine are of this type, IIRC), and the large, long, narrow, ind incredibly intense namakaki from the seas of northern Japan. Some scallions, a touch of mentai-daikon, and ponzu for a dipping sauce or garnish, and I'm in bivalvivore heaven.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for not eating raw oysters, you have to understand it is a texture thing. I'll miss out thanks... that'll leave more for you though ;)
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
As for not eating raw oysters, you have to understand it is a texture thing. I'll miss out thanks... that'll leave more for you though ;)

Thanks for splitting it kanuslupus - I wanted to reply to this but didn't have the heart to be any more OT. Are you sure you're not falling for that whole "Rocky Mountain Oyster" business? Those are scary indeed.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given life from comments made here.
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What have I created?!

:cry:

-- Curious
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never having eaten them, my impression is exactly what Curious describes:
Curious wrote:
I dunno what kurt was saying about eating raw oysters, but damn, that's just like having a bad cold.

As for Mountain Oysters, I've not seen them since I arrived here. I do know of people in Missouri that eat "calf fries". Given the choice, I'd probably go for the raw oyster. Incidentally, there is a festival in Montanna.

Last edited by pjp on Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious wrote:
What have I created?!

:cry:

-- Curious
Just wait until klieber finds out ;)
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Incidentally, there is a festival in Montanna.

8O

I've just added Montana to my list of things to be 'wrapped in barbed wire and shot into the sun'.

8O

-- Curious
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even watch somebody eat a cooked oyster, let alone raw. They look like they're like eating giant boogers. I'm cool with oyster crackers though. Oyster brand kitchen equipment (blenders, food processors) are probably OK too, though I don't know if they've got the best products (I'm not so much a hardware guy when it comes to cooking).

As far as the boiling things live thing - I'm sure you'd have started noticing the hot tub getting warmer if it started to get hot enough to hurt you. Also, a cooking pot takes a lot less than 9 hours to heat up. Now, I think a lobster dies pretty quick if tossed into boiling water, but I'd be on the squeemish side with something as cute as a frog. Cute vertebrates (and spiders) deserve quick deaths if you're going to kill them.

Did anyone see that Iron Chef episode where they blugeoned the octopus to death with the giant daikon radish?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol: I believe Oster is the brand you are thinking of, not Oyster.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious wrote:
I've just added Montana to my list of things to be 'wrapped in barbed wire and shot into the sun'.

Sounds like a waste of barbed wire.

Actually, one thing that I really enjoyed about Montana the last time I was there was that there was no speed limit on many highways - the signs said "Safe and Prudent". Of course, I think I passed about four cars in total during the entire time I was driving through the state, but it sure was nice to see that Doppler blueshift on them.
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phong wrote:
Did anyone see that Iron Chef episode where they blugeoned the octopus to death with the giant daikon radish?

Drat, I missed that. What an entertaining thread you've started here! In spite of coming from a country where recipes translated from French are being edited to carry warnings against the canonical way to kill a lobster (split in halves with a large cooking knife), I'm very much in favour of live food, including oysters, but biting in the Rocky Mountain variety while still alive may be a little too much even for my taste. It would hurt, too, I presume (not the bull, me, after he's finished with the guy who bit his testicles).

Many years ago I woke up one night to desperate cries for help, emanating apparently from of a basket full of Belon oysters in the kitchen. My then-flatmate was trying to quench his late-night craving for a stylish supper by opening the shells with a screwdriver, which is technically possible, but was obviously way beyond his level of dexterity and/or blood alcohol. Saved the situation then by doing it the right way, wouldn't hesitate to help out again. I don't even need an iron glove for that, let alone an iron chef, thanks to my upbringing near coastal waters.

Last New Year we BBQed a rather important number of middle-finger sized shrimps straight from Tsukiji, the fish market in Tokyo. Had a fun afternoon watching the kids run after them whenever they evaded the vigilance of my cooking chopsticks and jumped off before I could grab them. We ended up eating most of them freshly peeled right out of the aquarium (they're still very agile at that point) and roasted only the heads to serve as crunchy, delicious morsels for those of us who needed something to go with their beers.

Ah, the joy of live food. Japan is the perfect place for someone without limitations. And surprisingly enough, I've managed to convert almost everyone I ever took out for dinner to places with live bait on the menu. Even the most conservative eaters were forced to agree that, to put it in a nutshell: It's the only way to make sure that it's really fresh...

rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plate wrote:
Last New Year we BBQed a rather important number of middle-finger sized shrimps straight from Tsukiji, the fish market in Tokyo.

Tsukiji R00LZ! I have several clients there, and always enjoy a trip to Tamazushi. This sushi restaurant has a logo that is truly a work of art: the characters that make up the guy's smiling face actually spell out the name: tsu is the hair on the right, ki the headband, ji the hair on the top, ta the straight left side of the face, ma the eyes and nose, zu the mouth, and shi the face outline and chin.

Quote:
I've managed to convert almost everyone I ever took out for dinner to places with live bait on the menu.

I ordered sashimi for lunch at a rural restaurant when on vacation once, and didn't know that it was ikizukuri (live) until I had eaten a couple of pieces of the tuna and then I bumped one of the shrimps with a chopstick and it jumped, and so did I. My lunch companions found it quite amusing. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. But yes, it was quite tasty. I have heard that there is a faction of fish chefs that believe that one should wait about 10 minutes instead of eating things right away, something about chemical reactions in the muscle tissue, but I think it's great either way.

Quote:
Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon...

I get a kick out of the "Whipping Floss" version from the Helsinki concert.
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Tsukiji R00LZ!

I'll have to move as soon as they decide to close it down, to wherever they're going to set it up again.

rac also wrote:
I have heard that there is a faction of fish chefs that believe that one should wait about 10 minutes instead of eating things right away, something about chemical reactions in the muscle tissue, but I think it's great either way.

I thought this only applied to red meat, and it wasn't 10 minutes but 10 days. Which could put this thread onto an entirely new course, food that hasn't been moving for a very long time... Hákarl, anyone?

rac finally wrote:
I get a kick out of the "Whipping Floss" version from the Helsinki concert.

Yeah, you can't do that on stage anymore... 8)
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Lids people, lids. They give up after a while.

That's called "dying".

Quote:
If you spot a group of chest beating Neanderthals eating raw oysters at a bar, I will not be among them. I can only imagine that eating raw oysters is something done when blind drunk. I'm guessing I'll never eat a raw oyster.

Mmm....raw oysters. Nothing better. I love 'em. Just give me a few dozen raw oysters and I'll be happy. That and boiled crawfish.
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very strange that I, a Tokyo resident, find out about Tsukiji moving here, and not from the news or something.
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, but that's hardly news. Been in the works for several years, they just couldn't decide on a new location, but that's done now, it's going to be Toyosu Wharf, a mere two kilometers away. Traffic congestion downtown simply demands that the market moves away from Tsukiji. A friend of mine already did her architecture diploma this year on redesigning the site after the move...

Always look to the Gentoo forums for the really important facts of life. 8)
TheGreatPhilHansen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, all this talk about Japanese food reminds me of my childhood when i lived there, Japan is awesome!
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:

I'm very sensitive to texture. I actually can't eat licorice, gummi worms, gummi bears or anything soft and chewy because it just grosses me out. Being from Wisconsin thought I do love deep fried cheese curds. But those have a crunchy breading I guess. Probably why I'm like 40 pounds overweight.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, behold the power of the deep-fryer. Adding cheese makes most things edible. deep-frying it makes you want it again :D
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rizzo wrote:
I'm very sensitive to texture. I actually can't eat licorice, gummi worms, gummi bears or anything soft and chewy because it just grosses me out.

Word, I'm the opposite. I'm really into texture, but I like things I can feel resisting my teeth as they go through it. So gummi stuff / tofu / etc is the go for me.

Each to their own, I guess. :-)

-- Curious

P.S. We should have a Gentoo EATING PARTY some day if there's enough of us in one place. We can have prawns, oysters and ripped pairs of jeans.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: