performance of one sun vs another sun
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenTimJS
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: performance of one sun vs another sun Reply with quote

How do people find various ultra-or-better systems compare to each other for speed and overall performance?

I mean, for those of us in the "sun on the desktop" market, the only new sun we are likely to be able to afford is the blade 150 which only weighs in at a tops of 650mhz (which is pittens compared to some of the other blades). However, we can crank systems like an ultra5 up to around 400mhz and systems like an ultra2 can handle SMP 400mhz and either of these would be a LOT cheaper to ebay than to get a newer end sun blade.

so I guess my question is, what do people observe about various ultra/blade system's performance? All I've got to go off of personally is a 167mhz ultra1 creator3d and an ultra5 366mhz (which seems to crawl but is still faster than tha ultra1 .. both have 128megs/ram).

I may be in the market for a new(er) sun soon, and before I go spend $2000 on a sun blade 150 all shiney and new, I'd rather not later find out that the ultra2 dual 400 (or whatever) that I saw on ebay for a third of the price had twice the performance ...

Whadda ya think?
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ultra2 is far faster than the three digit blades.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: