Gentoo as DHCP client in Microsoft environment
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsborn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Gentoo as DHCP client in Microsoft environment Reply with quote

This is probably not SPARC related but I am running on an Ultra10.

I am running in a Microsoft Active directory environment ( I think Server 2003 is what is on the Domain Controller). I am running a fresh install of Gentoo with dhcpcd.

I get an IP address ok as well as getting a populated resolv.conf file but my hostname does not get added to the dynamic DNS zones in Active directory.

After reading a bunch of info on the subject I added -h <hostname> to the dhcp command but still can't ping my hostname from another host.

Also how do I make the hostname get add to my hosts file? Should it or will fixing this DNS eliminate the need?

I could probably request a static IP and dns entry but I would rather make it work like the Windoze boxes, am I missing something? Any have this working. The network admins work in the same group as I do so I could probably convince them to make minor modifications to the DHCP server as long as it doesn't mess up the Windoze clients.

thanks,
Rick
smeets_marc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A minor modification to the DHCP server"
Well, AD needs a serious modification. A this moment your AD uses DNS as integrated in AD. That means, that all the traffic for the DNS zone updates flows with the AD traffic. It also uses a key mechanism so that zone updates are validated. Most likely (since you could ping workstations by their dns name) DHCP is also AD integrated. That DHCP server gives the workstation an IP address, but because that workstation is a domain member, the DHCP server sends that IP address along with other AD information to a domain controller. That domain controller sends that information to the AD integrated DNS server which adds a record for the workstation. All this exchange of information occurs within AD updates.

Since your Linux box is not part of the AD domain, it can not do a AD valid DHCP request. Ok, you can get an IP address, but that doens't mean you are a domain member.

Giving the -h parameter to the dhpcd dommand will not work. That parameter is only for when you need to add a certain string to your DHCP request. Some internet providers (like @home in The Netherlands) work that way. As far as I know, your AD integrated DHCP server will not even look at the string you send with your DHCP request, and he will just give you an ip address.

If your domain really has all this stuff integrated in AD, and it probably has because it because it makes the AD admins' live much easier, the best solution will be to a let the DNS admin manually add a record for your box.
rsborn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after much more research I determined the same thing. I just had the admin give me a static ip address and update the MS DNS server manually. Everything works fine now.

Nevermind the fact that it is working now, what if I had installed SAMBA and joined the domain? would that have worked? that may be an option if I ever Gentoo my laptop.

On another note, I am loving this Ultra10, it is ten times faster with Linux on it that it ever was with Solaris. I think during a school break I'll start attacking some of the other Sun Boxes I have
smeets_marc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solaris' nickname is Slowaris. Linux is fast as ussually, but Solaris (although it has some nice features) is just slow.

Although I don't know this for sure (never tried it myself) I think it should work well if you let your computer join the domain with Samba. It could be that Samba has some troubles with with the 2003 version of AD, but that should be minor due the very little changes since AD of w2k.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smeets_marc wrote:
Giving the -h parameter to the dhpcd dommand will not work. That parameter is only for when you need to add a certain string to your DHCP request. Some internet providers (like @home in The Netherlands) work that way. As far as I know, your AD integrated DHCP server will not even look at the string you send with your DHCP request, and he will just give you an ip address.

Not sure it's true. At least on my test W2K server: I've setup DNS so that it's integrated with AD. Doing so makes DNS update automatically the database according to the address leased by DHCP. This is what happens on my server.

However I've had to add the "-h <hostname>" parameter to the /etc/conf.d/net config file otherwise I always got "This is wedge.unknown_domain". Besides I could see no name associated with the address lease in DHCP manager on my server. As soon as I added the -h parameter to the network config file, the DHCP manager displayed my Gentoo host name and the DNS updated accordingly. I could then ping my Linux machine. Otherwise I couldn't.

But now I'm wondering how one could automatically use the host name string in the hostname file to pass as an argument to dhcpcd.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: