Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How grub made me an Amoeba...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:29 am    Post subject: How grub made me an Amoeba... Reply with quote

Heya... :)

Just thought I would see if anyone else had this problem, or if it was just me...

I had a previous perfect install and wanted to do another with better optimizations. Everything was perfect until I went to install grub on my machine.

I followed the grub instructions from the website with one addition:

root (hd0,8)
setup (hd0)
config??? (hd0,8)/grub/menu.lst

I wanted to test it... it had previously found everything and had worked perfectly...up until now. It now told me that it couldn't mount the partition...

fdisk -l /dev/hda1 showed that what before was a normal ext3 partition (linux) was now an Amoeba (0x93) partition... therefore it wouldn't work with grub.

Luckily I was able to get lilo installed and working without any problems.

I was just wondering if anyone had seen this problem before or if I did something majorly wrong to kill the system.

Maybe my optimizing shouldn't have include grub?

Optimizing was as follows:

-march=i686 -03 -pipe -fomit-frame-pinter -funroll-loops -fforce-addr -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt -malign-functions=4

with GCC2.95.?? (direct install from this morning)

(those were pulled from this forum or an email list...)

Hmmm... maybe I should just reinstall grub without opts... and then try again... that will however have to wait as I'm installing the rest of the system components now... :)

Naja... who knows...

Justin T
MoonWalker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:52 am    Post subject: Desperate recovery help needed! Reply with quote

This have just happened to me! In a quite different way though... I had Grub and Gentoo installed on hda and plugged in an other drive as hdc, where Windows Me was installed from before. I wanted to try dual boot this drive by making use of mapping in Grub. I downt know exactly when it happen as I mostly was booting the win drive trying some different Grub configurations, not making any change to the Gentoo boot settings though. The only thing I did was boot into Gentoo sometimes to edit the menu.lst file.

The last thing I did was boot down from windows, and unplug the Grub disk and plug in the windows disk at its place and boot it normally. next time I plugged in the Grub disk it produced an error 17 at stage 1.5 and after booting with the Gentoo Live CD fdisk shows hda1 and hda3 is system amoeba (93), hda2, my swap, is Unknown (92) and hda4, extended partition, is Unknown (15) and hda5 don't show in fdisk anymore, were I had stored some files. The partition seam to have been mashed into a big blobb!

Anyone know if this is recoverable?

Living on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun
every year.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: