PHP MSSQL HOWTO
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KsE
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: PHP MSSQL HOWTO Reply with quote

This will explain how to setup php to work with mssql.

I decided to write this 'cause I have had many problems with this and haven't seen anything in the forums about it.

First you need freetds installed.

Code:

# USE="mssql" emerge freetds

Freetds is the connector between linux and mssql.

Now you need to make some config changes in freetds.conf

Code:

# nano -w /etc/freetds.conf

Now add this to the bottom.

Code:

[SQLserver]                     #the name of the sql server
    host = 192.168.1.100    #the ip or hostname of the sql server
    port = 1433                  #the port the server runs on
    tds version = 8.0          # the version of mssql you are using, 8.0 = 2000

The name you put in for the server is the host you will use in php: mssql_connect("SQLserver", "user", "pass")

Now you need to install php.

Code:

# USE="freetds" emerge php

For some reason when you have USE="mssql" it doesn't compile right and you get errors everytime you use php (even php -v). It seems to work just fine without it.

Now for a test.

Code:

# nano -w test.php

#!/usr/bin/php -q
<?

mssql_connect("SQLserver", "user", "pass");
mssql_select_db("dbName");

$sql = "select count(1) from table";
$result = mssql_query($sql);
$row = mssql_fetch_array($result);

print $row[0]."\n";

?>

This should print the number of rows in table.

Now, you need to make a change on the sql server to execute heterogenious queries (cross-server), because freetds doesn't set up the connection like it should (I hate freetds).

Open Enterprise Manager and right click on the server connection. Click the "connection" tab. Check the ANSI_NULLS and ANSI_WARNINGS boxes. Click ok.

This sets ANSI_NULLS and ANSI_WARNINGS on by default. Otherwise you need do $sql = "SET ANSI_NULLS ON; SET ANSI_WARNINGS ON"; everytime you connect. And depending on the version of php/freetds you are using, it won't allow for multiple queries in one string like that.

-KsE
ian!
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from 'Portage & Programming'.
hanj
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I'm glad I came across this howto.... but I'm running into problems. I'm unable to make the connection to the SQLServer 2000 on a Windows2003 server.

Here are my packages...
Code:
[ebuild   R   ] dev-php/mod_php-4.4.0-r3  +X +apache2 -berkdb +crypt +curl -debug -doc -fdftk -firebird -flash +freetds +gd -gd-external +gdbm -gmp +hardenedphp -imap -informix -ipv6 -java +jpeg -kerberos +ldap -mcal -memlimit -mssql +mysql +nls -oci8 -odbc +pam +png -postgres +snmp -spell +ssl +tiff +truetype +xml2 -yaz 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] dev-db/freetds-0.62.3  +mssql -odbc 0 kB

I originall tried with +mssql.. and that didn't get me any further.

Here is my /etc/freetds.conf...
Code:
[SQLserver]
        host = 192.168.0.10
        port = 1433
        tds version = 8.0

Here is my test code...
Code:

$connect        = mssql_connect("SQLserver","testuser","testpass");
echo var_dump($connect);

The mssql_connect() is always returning false. Here is output:
Code:
bool(false)

I can verify that I can connect to this SQLServer box using EnterpriseManager from another workstation. Checked firewall rules.. it's allowing incoming connection within my internal subnet. The user/pass are good, verified via Enterprise Manager.

I'm kinda stuck.. any help is greatly appreciated.

Here is my configure output via phpinfo()..might shed some light.

Code:
Configure Command './configure' '--prefix=/usr' '--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--datadir=/usr/share''--sysconfdir=/etc' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--build=i686-pc-linux-gnu' '--with-apxs2=/usr/sbin/apxs2' '--disable-cli' '--without-pear' '--without-db3''--without-db4' '-'-without-db2' '--without-ndbm' '--with-mcrypt=/usr' '--with-mhash=/usr' '--without-interbase' '--without-ming' '--without-swf '--with-sybase=/usr' '--with-gdbm=/usr' '--without-fdftk' '--without-java' '--without-mcal' '--without-unixODBC' '--without-pgsql' '--with-snmp=/usr''--enable-ucd-snmp-hack' '--with-xpm-dir=/usr/X11R6' '--without-gmp' '--without-mssql' '--without-crack' '--without-pdflib' '--with-gd' '--enable-gd-native-ttf''--with-png=/usr' '--with-png-dir=/usr' '--with-jpeg=/usr' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr' '--enable-exif' '--with-tiff=/usr' '--with-tiff-dir=/usr' '--with-mysql=/usr''--with-mysql-sock=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr' '--with-ttf=/usr' '--with-t1lib=/usr' '--with-gettext' '--without-pspell''--with-openssl=/usr' '--without-imap' '--with-ldap=/usr' '--with-dom=/usr' '--with-dom-xslt=/usr' '--with-dom-exslt=/usr' '--without-kerberos' '--with-pam''--disable-memory-limit' '--disable-ipv6' '--without-yaz' '--disable-debug' '--with-curlwrappers' '--with-curl=/usr' '--enable-dbx' '--with-zlib=/usr''--with-zlib-dir=/usr' '--with-sablot=/usr' '--enable-xslt' '--with-xslt-sablot' '--with-xmlrpc' '--enable-wddx' '--with-xml' '--disable-posix' '--enable-mbstring=all' '--enable-mbregex' '--with-bz2=/usr' '--with-cdb' '--enable-pcntl' '--enable-bcmath' '--enable-calendar' '--enable-dbase' '--enable-filepro' '--enable-ftp' '--with-mime-magic=/usr/share/misc/file/magic.mime' '--enable-sockets' '--enable-sysvsem' '--enable-sysvshm' '--enable-sysvmsg' '--with-iconv' '--enable-shmop' '--enable-dio' '--enable-yp' '--without-ncurses' '--without-readline' '--enable-inline-optimization' '--enable-track-vars''--enable-trans-sid' '--enable-versioning' '--with-config-file-path=/etc/php/apache2-php4' '--libdir=/usr/lib/php' '--without-pear'

Thanks in advance!
hanji
WhimpyPeon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had no success with freetds. I compiled php with mssql support and use pear to connect. Here is my php setup:

Quote:
dev-php/php-4.4.0 +X +berkdb +crypt +curl -debug -doc -fdftk -firebird -flash -freetds +gd -gd-external +gdbm -gmp -hardenedphp -imap -informix +ipv6 +java +jpeg -kerberos -ldap -mcal -memlimit +mssql +mysql +ncurses +nls -oci8 +odbc +pam +png +postgres +readline -snmp +spell +ssl +tiff +truetype +xml2 -yaz

dev-php/mod_php-4.4.0 +X +apache2* +berkdb +crypt +curl -debug -doc -fdftk -firebird -flash -freetds +gd -gd-external +gdbm -gmp -hardenedphp -imap -informix +ipv6 +java +jpeg -kerberos -ldap -mcal -memlimit +mssql +mysql +nls -oci8 +odbc +pam +png +postgres -snmp +spell +ssl +tiff +truetype +xml2 -yaz

I have not yet moved to the new apache/php setups yet (I plan it for next weekend). Just setting the +mssql in php worked for me. I really like the PEAR-DB class. To connect I do something like this:
msdb_connect.php Include File For Connections
Code:
<?php
//msdb_connect.php
//Provides Connection To mssql server
//require the PEAR::DB classes.
require_once 'DB.php';

$msdb_engine = 'mssql';
$msdb_user = '*YOURUSER*';
$msdb_pass = '*YOURPASSWORD';
$msdb_host = '*SQLSERVER*';
$msdb_name = '*DATABASE*';

$msdatasource = $msdb_engine.'://'.
                          $msdb_user.':'.
                          $msdb_pass.'@'.
                          $msdb_host.'/'.
                          $msdb_name;
$msdb_object = DB::connect($msdatasource, TRUE);
/* assign database object in $msdb_object,
if the connection fails $msdb_object will contain
the error message. */

// If $msdb_object contains an error:
// error and exit.

if(DB::isError($msdb_object)) {
        die($msdb_object->getMessage());
}
?>

employee.php Quick Listing of Employees
Code:

<?php
//employee.php
//provides listing of employees and their addresses

require 'msdb_connect.php';
//require our connection include file

$sql = "SELECT lastname, firstname, address, city FROM Employees ORDER BY lastname, firstname";
//our sql statement

$result = $msdb_object->query($sql);
if (DB::isError($result)) {
        echo "YOUR ERROR MESSAGE HERE";
        die ($result->getMessage());
        $result->free();
        exit;
}
//You Now Have A Good Connection
echo "<table>\n";
echo "<tr>\n";
echo "<th>Name</th><th>Address</th><th>City</th>\n";
echo "</tr>\n";

while ($row = $result->fetchRow (DB_FETCHMODE_ORDERED)) {;
echo "<tr>\n";

echo "  <td>\n";
echo $row[0] . ", " . $row[1];
echo "  </td>\n";

echo "  <td>\n";
echo $row[2];
echo "  </td>\n";

echo "  <td>\n";
echo $row[3];
echo "  </td>\n";

echo "</tr>\n";
}

echo "</table>\n";
?>

The only thing I have discovered is that DB_FETCHMODE_ORDERED is the only thing that seems to work.

Excuse my code if it is sloppy I just kind of banged it out.
eddieroger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanj - did you ever get this resolved? I'm working off this howto, and was successfull in getting it to work, so if you haven't gotten it, I will try and help.

KsE - Excellent howto! I was looking all over for exactly this. Have you considered posting it on gentoo-wiki? I'd recommend doing it if you haven't, and would gladly help. Thanks for figuring it out.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: