Allowing ARP traffic with iptables
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CowboyNeal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: Allowing ARP traffic with iptables Reply with quote

L.S.,

iptables has the -p option, so I can explicitly allow tcp, udp, icmp or gre. But how do I allow arp?
de4d
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imho arp (adress resolution protocol) is managed by the nic itself. so no arp packets are spawned by the operating system (and no arp packets are sent to o/s), and theres no need to firewall them in anyway.
arp is more like 'tunneling' ur ip packets

this may be (terribly) wrong - correct me if ne1 knows better.
CowboyNeal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

de4d wrote:
imho arp (adress resolution protocol) is managed by the nic itself. so no arp packets are spawned by the operating system (and no arp packets are sent to o/s), and theres no need to firewall them in anyway.
arp is more like 'tunneling' ur ip packets

this may be (terribly) wrong - correct me if ne1 knows better.

If that would be the case: why does /etc/ethers and arp (including arp -s <static ip> <static mac> for binding an ip to a mac) exists? I think you mistake arp with ethernet frames, those encapsulate your ip-packet and add a mac address (your nic filters on your mac, so a 100 mbit/s network would fload your cpu).
splooge
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arp is a layer 2 protocol, it's enabled by default, and has nothing to do with iptables. If you can ping your router or another workstation on your network, arp is working.
TuxFriend
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Allowing ARP traffic with iptables Reply with quote

CowboyNeal wrote:
L.S.,

iptables has the -p option, so I can explicitly allow tcp, udp, icmp or gre. But how do I allow arp?

ARP is used for binding a MAC-address to an IP-address. ARP is on a lower layer then IP and TCP, UDP and ICMP are above the IP-layer. By default all ARP-traffic is allowed and will be passed to the IP-layer, if you want to change this behaviour then you need to use ebtables. It's in a development kernel (>=2.5.37) or you can find ebtables on http://users.pandora.be/bart.de.schuymer/ebtables

TuxFriend
CowboyNeal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Allowing ARP traffic with iptables Reply with quote

TuxFriend wrote:
CowboyNeal wrote:
L.S.,

ARP is used for binding a MAC-address to an IP-address. ARP is on a lower layer then IP and TCP, UDP and ICMP are above the IP-layer. By default all ARP-traffic is allowed and will be passed to the IP-layer, if you want to change this behaviour then you need to use ebtables. It's in a development kernel (>=2.5.37) or you can find ebtables on http://users.pandora.be/bart.de.schuymer/ebtables

TuxFriend

I know how ARP is related to ip :D. The reason I asked this, is because I _am_ able to filter 'gre' (packet tunneling to my adsl-modem) and as I understand, GRE is not IP.

Futhermore, one can do nasty tricks with ARP (man-in-the-middle-attack), should be in iptables! (MAC source filtering is included in iptables, and MAC is, as you said, below IP)
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Allowing ARP traffic with iptables Reply with quote

CowboyNeal wrote:

Futhermore, one can do nasty tricks with ARP (man-in-the-middle-attack), should be in iptables! (MAC source filtering is included in iptables, and MAC is, as you said, below IP)

Perhaps this can help a bit. Quoted from here.
Quote:

The most easiest way to prevent ARP poisoning at workstations and server with Open Source Operating Systems is to M-lock the ARP
cache line by line. This means when the ARP table has an valid entry like this:

212.187.0.1 ether 00:30:7B:94:31:C8 C eth0

You can lock this entry by typing: "arp -v -i eth0 -s 212.187.0.1 00:30:7B:94:31:C8" (without quotes)

Check the ARP cache again by typing "arp -nv -i eth0", the output will be:

212.187.0.1 ether 00:30:7B:94:31:C8 CM eth0

See the difference? :)
As long as you won't unlock the ARP cache, restart the eth devices or reboot the system, nobody can refresh the entry above.

Another way would be installing a (level 2!!) firewall at the workstation, but the only difference between this and my way (above) will
be the price. The firewall will exactly do the same, it's not making your system any more invulnerable or whatsoever!

If you find more useful info about this subject, please post in this thread. I find this quite interesting.

Greets
CowboyNeal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Allowing ARP traffic with iptables Reply with quote

Zu` wrote:

If you find more useful info about this subject, please post in this thread. I find this quite interesting.
Greets

I found ettercap a very nice tool to play around on your own lan (ok, so I used it on a LAN-party but those people don't mind, right :twisted: )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: