Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hepta_sean
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umass66 wrote:
still having problems. what have i done wrong.
Code:
bash-2.05b# emerge -uDpv world

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating world dependencies /
!!! all ebuilds that could satisfy ">=x11-base/xfree-4.2.0-r9" have been masked.
!!! possible candidates are:
- x11-base/xfree-4.3.0-r5 (masked by: package.mask)
- x11-base/xfree-4.3.0-r7 (masked by: package.mask, ~keyword)
- x11-base/xfree-4.3.0-r6 (masked by: package.mask, ~keyword)
!!!    (dependency required by "media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.4496" [ebuild])

!!! Problem with ebuild media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.4496
!!! Possibly a DEPEND/*DEPEND problem.

!!! Depgraph creation failed.
bash-2.05b#

You've done nothing wrong! The nvidia-ebuild you're using still has a hard-coded dependency on xfree. (This is repaired in nvidia-glx-1.0.5336-r2.)
You should update it to a more recent version. If it is in world or the dependencies of world,
Code:
echo "media-video/nvidia-glx ~x86" >>/etc/portage/package.keywords"

should be sufficient.

HTH, sean
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing around with the 'emerge depclean; revdep-rebuild' combo and I have a question - does removing a package with 'emerge -C' automatically delete any configuration files for the package in /etc?
umass66
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a million to hepta_sean and robmoss2k. Your suggestions worked like a charm
hepta_sean
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meowsqueak wrote:
I was playing around with the 'emerge depclean; revdep-rebuild' combo and I have a question - does removing a package with 'emerge -C' automatically delete any configuration files for the package in /etc?

No, usually it doesn't, only files that were not altered and were installed together with the main part of the program are removed. (You can see, which files portage knows in the CONTENTS files in /var/db/pkg/*/*.)

You can use the dep script of ecatmur to find orphaned files. But beware: There can be many false positives. Just report back in that thread, if you're unsure.
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do an "emerge info | grep CONFIG_PROTECT | grep -v MASK" and you'll see the paths that "emerge -C" ignores.

emerge -U will kill your Gentoo
ecatmur, Lord of Portage Bash Scripts
T-Bird
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okee...this definately worked. I'm not too sure about the bug...I remember reading somewhere about it, but i can't find it. It was apparently a bug dealing directly with the update process...like it couldn't be updated.

robmoss2k wrote:
Which bug might "that bug" be?!

Anyway. Check what version of openoffice you have installed (requires gentoolkit to be installed):

Code:
etcat -v openoffice

The latest version will be *something* like app-office/openoffice-1.1.0-r4. So, then you do this:

Code:
mkdir -p /etc/portage
echo ">app-office/openoffice-1.1.0-r4" >> /etc/portage/package.mask

That will mask any version of openoffice greater than 1.1.0-r4 (obviously change it if the installed version in question is different). Once the bug is fixed, you can remove this entry and allow openoffice to update.
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used 'dep -s', 'emerge depclean', 'revdep-rebuild' etc to tidy up my Gentoo installation. I was very careful about what I removed, making sure libraries I removed had no reverse dependencies. In the process, I removed libgtkhtml, gtkhtml and gal, because they were not depended on by anything I had installed, according to these tools...

Quote:
$ dep -r libgtkhtml gtkhtml gal
gnome-extra/libgtkhtml:
gnome-extra/gtkhtml:
gnome-libs/gtkhtml:
gnome-extra/gal:
gnome-libs/gal:

errr, no!

Evolution depends on these, and it uses dynamic library loading/linking (only complains about missing libraries when you click 'new mail') so that's probably why revdep-rebuild didn't pick it up. Careful examination of evolution with dep -l shows a dependency on >=gnome-extra/libgtkhtml-3.0.10 as well as >=gnome-extra/gal-1.99.11 so why didn't dep -r or emerge depclean catch this?

Quote:
$ dep -l evolution
mail-client/evolution-1.4.6:
ssl? mozilla? ( !!!
crypt? >=app-crypt/gnupg-1.2.2 app-crypt/gnupg-1.2.4
spell? >=app-text/gnome-spell-1.0.5 app-text/gnome-spell-1.0.5-r2
doc? >=app-text/scrollkeeper-0.3.10-r1 app-text/scrollkeeper-0.3. 14
>=dev-libs/libxml2-2.5 dev-libs/libxml2-2.6.7
>=dev-util/intltool-0.20 dev-util/intltool-0.30
>=gnome-base/ORBit2-2.8.2 gnome-base/ORBit2-2.10.0
>=gnome-base/gconf-2.0 gnome-base/gconf-2.6.0
>=gnome-base/gnome-vfs-2.0 gnome-base/gnome-vfs-2.6.0
>=gnome-base/libbonoboui-2.0 gnome-base/libbonoboui-2.6.0
>=gnome-base/libglade-2.0 gnome-base/libglade-2.3.6
>=gnome-base/libgnome-2.0 gnome-base/libgnome-2.6.0
>=gnome-base/libgnomecanvas-2.2.0.2 gnome-base/libgnomecanva s-2.6.0
>=gnome-base/libgnomeprint-2.2 gnome-base/libgnomeprint-2.6. 1
>=gnome-base/libgnomeprintui-2.2 gnome-base/libgnomeprintui- 2.6.1
>=gnome-base/libgnomeui-2.0 gnome-base/libgnomeui-2.6.0
>=gnome-extra/gal-1.99.11 gnome-extra/gal-1.99.11
>=gnome-extra/libgtkhtml-3.0.10 gnome-extra/libgtkhtml-3.0.1 0-r1

>=gnome-extra/yelp-2.2 gnome-extra/yelp-2.6.1
>=net-libs/libsoup-1.99.28 net-libs/libsoup-1.99.28
>=sys-apps/sed-4 sys-apps/sed-4.0.7
>=sys-devel/libtool-1.4.1-r1 sys-devel/libtool-1.4.3-r4
doc? dev-util/gtk-doc dev-util/gtk-doc-1.1
dev-util/pkgconfig dev-util/pkgconfig-0.15.0
ssl? mozilla? net-www/mozilla net-www/mozilla-1.6
sys-devel/gettext sys-devel/gettext-0.12.1
!bootstrap? sys-devel/libtool sys-devel/libtool-1.4.3-r4
!bootstrap? sys-devel/patch sys-devel/patch-2.5.9
virtual/x11 x11-base/xfree-4.3.0-r5

robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a guess, I reckon that "dep" probably didn't unmerge those for you, and "emerge depclean" did. You shouldn't be using both - one or the other. The former is much better, but is still, as I've previously said, a moving target. So use it instead of (NOT as well as) emerge depclean if you like, but if it suddenly decides to unmerge everything in your system profile, don't come running to me... don't leave it unattended!

emerge -U will kill your Gentoo
ecatmur, Lord of Portage Bash Scripts
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll stick to 'dep -s' - however I had a small problem with it - it was trying to unsuccessfully unmerge a package called '=' and aborting. I don't have the error message handy but I can try and reproduce it if necessary.
hepta_sean
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meowsqueak wrote:
In the process, I removed libgtkhtml, gtkhtml and gal, because they were not depended on by anything I had installed, according to these tools...

Quote:
$ dep -r libgtkhtml gtkhtml gal
gnome-extra/libgtkhtml:
gnome-extra/gtkhtml:
gnome-libs/gtkhtml:
gnome-extra/gal:
gnome-libs/gal:

Does it output these before or after you unmerged them? I suppose dep -r does not work for uninstalled packages (I cannot really read the code for it, the comment in there claims, that even ecatmur himself cannot read it :)). I have them installed and it works:
Code:
sean@lois sean $ dep -r libgtkhtml gal
gnome-extra/libgtkhtml:
        gnome-extra/yelp-2.6.1               =gnome-extra/libgtkhtml-2*
        mail-client/evolution-1.5.9.1        >=gnome-extra/libgtkhtml-3.1.16
        media-gfx/gimp-2.1.1                 gtkhtml? =gnome-extra/libgtkhtml-2*        x11-libs/gtk-sharp-0.99              gtkhtml? >=gnome-extra/libgtkhtml-3.0.10
gnome-extra/gal:
        gnome-extra/libgtkhtml-3.1.16        >=gnome-extra/gal-2.1.9
        mail-client/evolution-1.5.9.1        >=gnome-extra/gal-2.1.10

Probably, robmoss is right and emerge depclean broke it.

You could try my patched version of dep. I've fixed a small bug in the part that remerges missing dependencies, so it should repair this and similar things, if emerge -uDva world does not.

EDIT:
meowsqueak wrote:
however I had a small problem with it - it was trying to unsuccessfully unmerge a package called '=' and aborting.

That's exactly the problem, my patch fixes. And it is not about unmerging unneeded dependencies, but about merging missing dependencies.

HTH, sean
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hepta_sean wrote:
Does it output these before or after you unmerged them? I suppose dep -r does not work for uninstalled packages (I cannot really read the code for it, the comment in there claims, that even ecatmur himself cannot read it :)). I have them installed and it works

Yes, you are quite right - after reinstalling those packages, dep -r reports a far more sensible output (similar to yours).

I'll give your patched 'dep' a try - thanks :)
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried dep-hepta and it solves that '=' problem. However there's another problem:

Quote:
$ dep-hepta -p -s
These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies -
!!! all ebuilds that could satisfy "=dev-libs/libevent-0.8" have been masked.
!!! possible candidates are:
- dev-libs/libevent-0.8 (masked by: ~keyword)

!!! Error calculating dependencies. Please correct.

Quote:
$ dep -r libevent
dev-libs/libevent:
net-misc/trickle-1.06 dev-libs/libevent

Quote:
$ cat trickle-1.06.ebuild
DEPEND="virtual/glibc
dev-libs/libevent
sys-apps/sed"
RDEPEND="virtual/glibc"

So why is it trying to emerge a masked version (0.8 ) of libevent when trickle doesn't need anything more than the stable version (0.7c)?
hepta_sean
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meowsqueak wrote:
I tried dep-hepta and it solves that '=' problem. However there's another problem:

You're right! There seems to be a problem with the is_keyword_masked function AFAICS.

I hope I fixed it by the newest version. Could you try again, please!

ecatmur: I added a return 0 at the end of is_keyword_masked, 'cause it was returning 1s, when it shouldn't. (Patch can be found at the usual place.)

Hope, you're back soon. :D I don't feel too comfortable patching around in your script. :)
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent - completed properly this time. Thanks! :)

EDIT: Just a thought - it would be quite handy if dep -r/-l with perhaps an additional flag would tell you dependencies even if they aren't installed. My dep -s run says it needs to emerge a whole lot of KDE stuff, which isn't good, since I avoid KDE. There's no obvious way for me to tell why it wants to pull in KDE stuff is there? Or can I trust the tree output of dep -s to deduce this?

EDIT2: Looks like the output of dep -s only lists a dependency ONCE which makes it less than useful to this purpose unfortunately.

Last edited by meowsqueak on Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that dep does not take proper action when USE="-*". Normally this removes kde, arts, esd etc from my USE flags, but dep doesn't seem to honour this by the looks. Adding "-kde -arts -esd" to my USE flags eliminates the dependencies on these nasty things, but USE="-*" followed explicitly by flags I actually want should work in my opinion?
hepta_sean
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meowsqueak wrote:
It appears that dep does not take proper action when USE="-*".

Right! From my superficial look over the rdepend function it does not treat "-*".

Quote:
Normally this removes kde, arts, esd etc from my USE flags, but dep doesn't seem to honour this by the looks.

Why don't you remove them in make.conf, anyway? If you don't want that stuff, it would reduce the risk of pulling in unwanted dependencies.
You could still activate them for selected packages in /etc/portage/package.use.

Quote:
Adding "-kde -arts -esd" to my USE flags eliminates the dependencies on these nasty things, but USE="-*" followed explicitly by flags I actually want should work in my opinion?

It should, but ATM I don't know the code enough to fix it. We'll have to wait for ecatmur, I think.

Perhaps, the "-o" parameter of dep helps you out. It takes the USE settings that were in effect, when the package was merged.
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice - I'm using -* and -kde etc now, and it seems to work well.

'dep' (and your patches) is really quite good I think. I've learned a lot about how these dependencies work - enough to realise there's a dependency problem in portage with some of the dependencies of evolution - specifically gnome-extra/gal and gnome-extra/libgtkhtml. Hopefully these will all get straightened out when a new evolution ebuild appears. For now I have to manually unmerge the results of dep -s however, since it tries to remove older versions of these libraries, leaving newer evolution-incompatible ones.
hepta_sean
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meowsqueak wrote:
Thanks for your advice - I'm using -* and -kde etc now, and it seems to work well.

Actually dep -o ... does not look at the command line USE settings nor the make.conf settings, but only takes into account the USE settings active during the merge which are recorded in /var/db/pkg/*/*/USE.

Quote:
'dep' (and your patches) is really quite good I think. I've learned a lot about how these dependencies work -

Yup, I've learned a lot hanging around in this thread, myself.

Quote:
enough to realise there's a dependency problem in portage with some of the dependencies of evolution - specifically gnome-extra/gal and gnome-extra/libgtkhtml. ... For now I have to manually unmerge the results of dep -s however, since it tries to remove older versions of these libraries, leaving newer evolution-incompatible ones.

I've got a similar problem with monodoc depending on the 3.0 series of libgtkhtml ATM. Do you have the 3.1 series installed (which is ~x86), too? Then, dep (and, I suppose, also emerge depclean) figure, that this satisfies the ">=gnome-extra/libgtkhtml-3.0.10" dependency.

Have you tried recompiling evolution against the newer libraries, or how do you know, that they are incompatible?

Quote:
Hopefully these will all get straightened out when a new evolution ebuild appears.

I'm using the (unstable) evolution-1.5.9.1 version from breakmygentoo.net. It doesn't seem to have a problem with newer libgtkhtml's and IMO it is not as unstable as advertised. :)
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hepta_sean wrote:
I'm using the (unstable) evolution-1.5.9.1 version from breakmygentoo.net. It doesn't seem to have a problem with newer libgtkhtml's and IMO it is not as unstable as advertised. :)

I'm trying to use this - I have BMG set up in /usr/local/bmg-main and I have /etc/portage/package.keywords including these:

Quote:
mail-client/evolution ~x86
net-mail/evolution-data-server ~x86
net-libs/libsoup ~x86
gnome-extra/libgtkhtml ~x86
gnome-extra/gal ~x86

And yet, emerge -p evolution says it's going to emerge 1.4.6 not 1.5.9.1. I could just emerge the ebuild explicitly, but I'm trying to avoid doing that these days, since I've heard it's not letting portage work properly.
hepta_sean
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meowsqueak wrote:
I'm trying to use this - I have BMG set up in /usr/local/bmg-main and I have /etc/portage/package.keywords including these:

And yet, emerge -p evolution says it's going to emerge 1.4.6 not 1.5.9.1. I could just emerge the ebuild explicitly, but I'm trying to avoid doing that these days, since I've heard it's not letting portage work properly.

Have you set
Code:
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/bmg-main"

in your /etc/make.conf?
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hepta_sean wrote:
Have you set
Code:
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/bmg-main"

in your /etc/make.conf?

Indeed - I've followed everything here:

http://breakmygentoo.net/archives/cat_help.html

And I've double checked it. Seems to conform. If I do 'ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -p evolution" it gets the right (1.5.9.1) version, so it can see the ebuild. This is a bit odd.
hepta_sean
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meowsqueak wrote:
Indeed - I've followed everyone here:
http://breakmygentoo.net/archives/cat_help.html
And I've double checked it. Seems to conform. If I do 'ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -p evolution" it gets the right (1.5.9.1) version, so it can see the ebuild. This is a bit odd.

That one is really odd!

Only thing, I can think of is: Which permissions, owner and group are on /etc/portage/package.keywords and /etc/portage?

I've got them as rw-rw-r-- with owner root and group portage (so my user can edit the files), but rw-r--r-- with owner and group root worked before.

I don't really think it matters, 'cause emerge runs as root, but you can never be sure.
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on! Well done! If I run emerge via sudo, it picks up 1.5.9.1, but as normal user it picks up 1.4.6.

Code:
$ ls -l /etc/portage
total 4
-rw-------  1 root root 447 Jun 29 15:34 package.keywords

That's a nasty one. Thanks! :)
lojack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...what is the best way to maintain a Gentoo system? A 'normal' PC, not a server. I realize a lot depends on the user's philosophy with regards to stable/unstable software. But, from the point of view of a new Gentoo user, I'm confused about the various ways to update a Gentoo system. I've been reading a lot over the past week on these forums, man portage and man emerge, however, there are a lot of contradictions about the 'best' procedure to follow.

BiggJ wrote:
It's really up to you (sort of)...
On my desktop machines, I cron an emerge sync once a week. And (if I remember) kick off an 'emerge -u world' about as often. On my server machines, I don't update everything. I only update packages which are needed to fix security issues. This is something you sould keep you eye on even if you don't want to update everything (which is why I say "sort of").

robmoss2k wrote:
So, if you want a stable system, you should NOT be using the -U flag. EVER. And if it breaks - well, you get to keep the pieces. The portage documentation tells you that this flag is deprecated for a very, very good reason, which I've described above. My system is rock stable, and I use this process to update it:

Code:
emerge sync
emerge -uDpv world
emerge -uDv world
emerge -pv depclean
emerge -v depclean
revdep-rebuild -pv
revdep-rebuild -v
dispatch-conf

That basically updates the portage tree, tells me what's involved in updating everything, updates everything, tells me what packages are no longer necessary, removes them, tells me what packages have been broken by an upgrade or removal, and recompiles them. Then dispatch-conf updates my config files for me with minimal intervention.

The glsa-check programme is a new function of portage which performs security updates automatically. glsa-check is run with "-f all" in order for it to fix (-f) every security flaw (all) identified by a Gentoo Linux Security Advisory (GLSA). So if you want your system to be secure as well as stable, you want to run this regularly.

Personally, I run "glsa-check -f all" every hour, and the above set of commands for updating my system every day. I've not had a single breakage in over a year on my stable "x86" box, and only two or three on my unstable/testing "~x86" box.

I realize my question is, to some extent, a matter of opinion. I also realize my question has been asked/debated in many threads, some of which I've recently read. I guess I'm just really apprehensive to do anything that's gonna destroy my system--after spending a week to get it up and running, and tweaked the way I like it.

TIA
Chris/CMS
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recognise and sympathise with the conflict, but I really must stress the benefit of personal experience. It hurts to break Gentoo I know, but a lot of what you ask can only be answered through exploring those dark places yourself (often with the Gentoo Forums as your guiding light). I've been through my own personal hell with Gentoo and Debian, and the result is I now have a good 'feel' for what's right and what's wrong. That doesn't make my way right, but it's the way that makes the most sense to me based on everything I've seen during my journey. For Gentoo, this includes making good use of /etc/portage/package.keywords, keeping my world file maintained, and recently making careful use of scripts like 'dep' to investigate redundant packages. However I've still managed to break things (mostly because the dependencies in the ebuilds aren't always forward compatible) but if you take notes about what you did, you can usually reverse anything bad as long as you have time to do it. So I finish with my last personal rule - I don't try anything new or risky with Gentoo unless I have a lot of spare time ahead of me...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: