larand54
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hepta_sean wrote:
larand54 wrote:
Code:
Packages in world:    1

This doesn't look good. Did you emerge all of your packages with --oneshot? Otherwise they should have been included in the world file automatically.

I installed the system from STAGE1 and after that I have some single packets on different occasions. But now >3 months later I run emerge sync and emerge -u world. But the update failed when it came to openoffice, lack of discspace. I changed the partition an re-run openoffice and afterwards I run emerge -uDv world.
So there you have all history.
Maybe it explained something?

Quote:

So you should go through the list of packages, emerge -p depclean would unmerge and add the ones you want to the world file. If you're really sure, that you want to clean everything emerge -p depclean outputs, you can issue emerge depclean and they will all be removed. After that you should do revdep-rebuild, this will rebuild all binaries, that were linked against removed packages.

How can I be sure that it will be safe?

Quote:

What do you mean by check? No, the computer can't figure out, what you want to have on your system.

I ment that if there where a way that the computer could see what packages could be removed without trouble.
I don't know how to find out that myself :oops:

I really appreciate your help even if I have hard to understand all things. This thread really confused me from the beginning.

For the moment the system still works without running etc-update after this latest update. Before this update I have run etc-update several times (without options).

regards,
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larand54 - do this:

Code:
regenworld

Once you've done that, do:

Code:
cd /var/cache/edb
cat world | sort | uniq > world.new

Then edit "world.new" and remove anything from that list that you don't want to keep. Once you've done that, save it, and then do:

Code:
mv world ~/world.old
mv world.new world
emerge -pv depclean

Or, instead of depclean:

Code:
dep -s

(although you'll need to download ecatmur's "dep" script first).

emerge -U will kill your Gentoo
ecatmur, Lord of Portage Bash Scripts
nevynxxx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larand54 wrote:

You can't. there are two options.

1) only remove files you *know* you want rid of. i.e. go through the list that emerge -p depclean give as output (emerge -p depclean | less) add any package that you do not recognise/want to keep to the world file (echo "<package cat>/<package>" >> world can be useful for this), then run emerge -p depclean | less again. Keep doing this until only packages you want to remove are output.

2) Only add the packages you *know* you want to keep to world, let it unmerge the rest, then if a package complains in the future, re-emerge it, adding it's deps to the world file if you need to.

Most of the problems that depclean can cause will be sorted by a revdep-rebuild afterwords, the rest by re-emerging the package that complains (and hence all its dependencies).

The only exception to this are the vital packages, i.e. gcc glibc,python etc

Wanted: Instructor in the art of Bowyery
hepta_sean
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larand54 wrote:
I installed the system from STAGE1 and after that I have some single packets on different occasions. But now >3 months later I run emerge sync and emerge -u world. But the update failed when it came to openoffice, lack of discspace. I changed the partition an re-run openoffice and afterwards I run emerge -uDv world.
So there you have all history.
Maybe it explained something?

I don't know why, but somehow your world file (/var/cache/edb/world, will be /var/lib/portage/world in portage-2.0.51) got corrupted. It should contain every package, that you emerged additionally to the base system.

larand54 wrote:
Quote:
So you should go through the list of packages, emerge -p depclean would unmerge and add the ones you want to the world file. If you're really sure, that you want to clean everything emerge -p depclean outputs, you can issue emerge depclean and they will all be removed. After that you should do revdep-rebuild, this will rebuild all binaries, that were linked against removed packages.

You can't be 100% sure (never in life, BTW), but things should only be removed by emerge depclean, if they are not depended on by something in world or system. In fact, you could use dep -s by ecatmur. It uses some better algorithms to calculate dependencies, but is still heavily in development.

Things could break, because binaries were linked to removed libraries, but do not depend on the corresponding packages (e.g., because of changed USE flags or the like), but this is repaired by revdep-rebuild, which looks at every binary on your system, collects the binaries linked to non-existent libraries, finds out to which packages they belong and remerges these packages without linking to the removed libraries.

larand54 wrote:
I ment that if there where a way that the computer could see what packages could be removed without trouble.
I don't know how to find out that myself :oops:

As explained above depclean will only remove packages, which are obsolete in its opinion.
If you have everything you want in your world file and run revdep-rebuild after depcleaning, you should be quite safe.

larand54 wrote:
I really appreciate your help even if I have hard to understand all things. This thread really confused me from the beginning.

Understandable!
I used this and the threads for ecatmur's scripts to learn a lot more about how packages are handled by portage, myself.
Perhaps, you wanna try to understand, what's going on, too, and, if you have questions, just ask!

larand54 wrote:
For the moment the system still works without running etc-update after this latest update. Before this update I have run etc-update several times (without options).

Your really should update them. And try dispatch-conf, personally, I like it way more than etc-update. There are some more tools for that out there. Search for them on the forums.
Quitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=179371&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= invalidated this topic?
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quitch wrote:
Has https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=179371&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= invalidated this topic?

No, certainly not! That's a different issue: that topic is about keeping your Gentoo system on the bleeding edge, whereas this one is ensuring that your Gentoo system is kept in tip-top condition. The two goals are somewhat different...

unstable_geek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finally got my system back up to speed, and an emerge -upD doesn't take up multiple screens. Thanks robmoss2k.

Now, my questions on "emerge -pv depclen"

It suggests the removal of several things that I know I want and in some cases, need to keep.

I started checking the packages it suggested to remove, and found that for the most part, they were simply old versions, and that in fact, the emerge -uD should have upgraded them.

E.g.
It suggested removing grub (!!)
Code:

coal sbin # emerge -upD world

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating world dependencies ...done!
[ebuild     U ] media-libs/audiofile-0.2.6-r1 [0.2.5]
[ebuild     U ] gnome-base/gail-1.6.4 [1.6.2]
[ebuild  N    ] sys-kernel/mm-sources-2.6.7_rc3-r2
[ebuild     U ] net-www/epiphany-1.2.2 [1.0.7]
[ebuild     U ] gnome-base/gnome-2.6 [2.4.2]
[ebuild     U ] media-gfx/sane-backends-1.0.14-r2 [1.0.13-r3]

Grub is not mentioned.
Code:

coal sbin # emerge -upD system

Calculating system dependencies ...done!
[ebuild     U ] media-libs/audiofile-0.2.6-r1 [0.2.5]

Still not mentioned
Code:

coal sbin # emerge -upD grub

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild     U ] sys-boot/grub-0.94-r1 [0.93.20030118]

This is repeated for many of the packages suggested from removal - some directly emerged by me, some as a dependancy from other packages.

What am I missing?
hepta_sean
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unstable_geek wrote:
It suggests the removal of several things that I know I want and in some cases, need to keep.

I started checking the packages it suggested to remove, and found that for the most part, they were simply old versions, and that in fact, the emerge -uD should have upgraded them. ...

What am I missing?

Probably, they are not in your world file. Then, they are not treated by emerge -upD world and they are supposed to be unwanted and hence reported by emerge -p depclean.

BTW: dep is somehow more sophisticated for depcleaning and also cleaning of your world file. You might want to read through that thread.
Joseph_sys
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I run "emerge depclean" the system proposed to remove these package:
gnome-extra/libgsf
gnome-base/librsvg
dev-util/gperf
app-text/psutils
media-sound/mpg123
dev-libs/dbh
media-libs/id3lib
sys-apps/attr
sys-apps/modutils
sys-apps/acl
app-text/a2ps
dev-java/blackdown-jre
dev-libs/libcroco

Thoug running this:
for i in $( emerge -p depclean | grep "/" ) ; do qpkg -I -q $i ; done

It shows me that all these packages are needed by other packages.

--
Joseph
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
for i in $( emerge -p depclean | grep "/" ) ; do qpkg -I -q $i ; done

It lies! Well, it often lies. Try ecatmur's "dep" script, invoked thusly:

Code:
for i in $(emerge -p depclean | grep "/" ); do dep -r $i; done

That will tell you about qpkg's general uselessness with reverse dependencies.

Better than depclean (I know, I know, I should edit my post, but it still isn't stable enough) is that same script - dep (second link in my sig) invoked as "dep -d". But watch out with acl and attr - coreutils could get hosed. I'd suggest that you re-merge coreutils before removing either of those two packages, otherwise you'll lose things such as ls, cp, rm, mv...

dhurt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading the dep thread, it seems like dep -d is broken and you should use the slower dep -s which looks at virtuals correctly.

Take a look here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=142475&start=175
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing that out, the git hadn't told me! :P Erm, anyway. Yes. dep -s is very slow compared to dep -d, but it's far more thorough. And it appears to behave with virtuals, although the output worries me somewhat...

Joseph_sys
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Code:
for i in $(emerge -p depclean | grep "/" ); do dep -r $i; done

That will tell you about qpkg's general uselessness with reverse dependencies.

Indeed the above code one works much better, thank you.

Let me see if I interpret it correctly:
gnome-extra/libgsf:
gnome-base/librsvg-2.6.4 zlib? >=gnome-extra/libgsf-1.6
---------------
gnome-base/librsvg:
---------------
dev-util/gperf:
app-text/a2ps-4.13c >=dev-util/gperf-2.7.2
---------------
app-text/psutils:
app-text/a2ps-4.13c >=app-text/psutils-1.17
---------------
media-sound/mpg123:
---------------
dev-libs/dbh:
---------------
media-libs/id3lib:
---------------
sys-apps/attr:
sys-apps/acl-2.2.13-r1 >=sys-apps/attr-2.4
---------------
sys-apps/modutils:
---------------
sys-apps/acl:
---------------
app-text/a2ps:
---------------
dev-java/blackdown-jre:
app-office/openoffice-1.1.1-r1 >=virtual/jre-1.4.1
---------------
dev-libs/libcroco:
gnome-base/librsvg-2.6.4 >=dev-libs/libcroco-0.4
---------------

1.) The first one is not clear to me: "librsvg-2.6.4" depends on "libqsf"; but "libqsf" needs "zlib". and:
2.) "librsvg" has no dependency, so both can be safely deleted, am I right?
3.) "a2ps-4.13c" needs "gperf", so this one must stay.
4.) "mpq123", "dbh", "id3lib", "modutils" can go

I know that "acl" is important, so why it was depclean wants to remove it? Shouldn't it be protected?
--
Joseph
hepta_sean
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph_sys wrote:
Let me see if I interpret it correctly:
gnome-extra/libgsf:
gnome-base/librsvg-2.6.4 zlib? >=gnome-extra/libgsf-1.6
---------------
1.) The first one is not clear to me: "librsvg-2.6.4" depends on "libqsf"; but "libqsf" needs "zlib".

It means, that libgsf is needed by librsvg, because the "zlib" USE flag is set.

Quote:
gnome-base/librsvg:
---------------
dev-libs/libcroco:
gnome-base/librsvg-2.6.4 >=dev-libs/libcroco-0.4
---------------
2.) "librsvg" has no dependency, so both can be safely deleted, am I right?

Yeah, if you don't have Gnome (gdm or nautilus), they are obsolete (and also libcroco is).

Quote:
dev-util/gperf:
app-text/a2ps-4.13c >=dev-util/gperf-2.7.2
---------------
app-text/psutils:
app-text/a2ps-4.13c >=app-text/psutils-1.17
---------------
app-text/a2ps:
---------------
3.) "a2ps-4.13c" needs "gperf", so this one must stay.

You should add "a2ps" to your world file, then neither emerge depclean nor dep will want to remove a2ps, gperf and psutils anymore.

Quote:
media-sound/mpg123:
---------------
dev-libs/dbh:
---------------
media-libs/id3lib:
---------------
sys-apps/modutils:
---------------
4.) "mpq123", "dbh", "id3lib", "modutils" can go

Yes, I would think so.

Quote:
sys-apps/attr:
sys-apps/acl-2.2.13-r1 >=sys-apps/attr-2.4
---------------
sys-apps/acl:
---------------
I know that "acl" is important, so why it was depclean wants to remove it? Shouldn't it be protected?

acl is important, if the coreutils were compiled with the "acl" USE flag, but if you later unset that USE flag, depclean and dep calculate the dependencies according to the current USE flag settings, and, hence, want to remove acl.

That is why robmoss2k said you shouls recompile coreutils before removing attr and acl.
Joseph_sys
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
acl is important, if the coreutils were compiled with the "acl" USE flag, but if you later unset that USE flag, depclean and dep calculate the dependencies according to the current USE flag settings, and, hence, want to remove acl.

That is why robmoss2k said you shouls recompile coreutils before removing attr and acl.

Thank you, that seem to fix it, adding "acl" to my USE flags and recompiling coreutility. I fixed the same way java. When I was reading robmoss2k post above it wasn't clear to me that I need to add "acl" or "jave" to USE flags.

Always learning something. It is a tip of the iceberg what I need to go through to be comfortable.
spb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph_sys wrote:
Thank you, that seem to fix it, adding "acl" to my USE flags and recompiling coreutility. I fixed the same way java. When I was reading robmoss2k post above it wasn't clear to me that I need to add "acl" or "jave" to USE flags.

The situation with acl is somewhat complex. If you have the acl use flag set, then coreutils will be compiled with ACL support, and will have a dependency on the acl package. If acl is not set, then it's compiled without acl support, and doesn't need acl to be installed. The version of coreutils on the package CD is compiled with acl support, so if you're using a coreutils version from the package cd, you need acl to be present, and letting depclean remove it will break your system. So, there are two options:
(1) Add acl to your USE flags. This will make sure that depclean sees acl as required, and doesn't remove it.
(2) Keep acl OUT of your USE flags, and recompile coreutils. This was, you will end up with a coreutils that doesn't need acl, and it will be safe to let depclean remove it.

Of those two, the latter is more usually the solution you want, since Most People (tm) don't need ACL support.
T-Bird
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I exclude some packages from being updated by world? Like I don't want openoffice to update cause it has that bug. Maybe I missed it in this thread how to do this, but please enlighten me.
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which bug might "that bug" be?!

Anyway. Check what version of openoffice you have installed (requires gentoolkit to be installed):

Code:
etcat -v openoffice

The latest version will be *something* like app-office/openoffice-1.1.0-r4. So, then you do this:

Code:
mkdir -p /etc/portage
echo ">app-office/openoffice-1.1.0-r4" >> /etc/portage/package.mask

That will mask any version of openoffice greater than 1.1.0-r4 (obviously change it if the installed version in question is different). Once the bug is fixed, you can remove this entry and allow openoffice to update.

cptmorgan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my portage is messed.... if i just rebuild my world file and update will it fix portage ? or am i gonna have to reinstall gentoo inorder for portage to be ok again ?
dhurt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An emerge sync should bring portage into line with the actual portage tree. So yes rebuilding your world file and syncing should in theory be enough to fix portage.
strider3700
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this may be too newbish for this thread, but does the

emerge sync
emerge -uDv world
emerge -v depclean
revdep-rebuild -v
dispatch-conf

keep the kernel up to date?

I know that it grabs the sources but do I need to do anything regularly to keep installing the new ones? I'm not talking about moving from 2.4 to 2.6 automatically just 2.4 patches.

Is it just a reboot required or do I manually need to build my kernel regulary and move it around?

Any links to simple kernel maintenance tips would be appreciated.

This has been a great thread BTW way over my head in places but educational non the less
dhurt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No that does not keep your kernel upto date. It would keep your kernel sources up to date as well as all the other packages on your system. You still have to compile and install your new kernel sources yourself. It is not too hard, the gentoo install handbook has a good explination of how to do the install and configure your bootloader.
umass66
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading this thread and i found it very informative. I have a few questions. I built my gentoo system with packages from x86 and used ~x86 for a few packages ( i.e xorg, corefonts ). So when i do emerge -uDp world it will suggest installing xfree86 ( which i don't want because i have xorg ). How do i tell my system not to install xfree86 and also check for updates for the few ~x86 packages i have installed.

My system does not have a /etc/portage/package.keywords directory
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
mkdir -p /etc/portage
creates /etc/portage for you;
Code:
echo "x11-base/xorg-x11 ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
causes portage to use ~x86 xorg-x11; you'll have to do a similar thing for xterm, corefonts and so on;
Code:
echo "x11-base/xfree" >> /etc/portage/package.mask
stops portage from even thinking about using xfree for virtual/x11.

umass66
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still having problems. what have i done wrong.

Code:
bash-2.05b$ su
Password:
bash-2.05b# mkdir -p /etc/portage
bash-2.05b# echo "x11-base/xorg-x11 ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
bash-2.05b# echo "media-fonts/corefonts ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
bash-2.05b# echo "x11-base/xfree" >> /etc/portage/package.mask
bash-2.05b# emerge -uDpv world

Calculating world dependencies |
!!! all ebuilds that could satisfy "x11-terms/xterm" have been masked.
!!! possible candidates are:
- x11-terms/xterm-191 (masked by: ~keyword)
- x11-terms/xterm-184 (masked by: ~keyword)
- x11-terms/xterm-179 (masked by: ~keyword)

!!! Problem with ebuild sys-apps/man-pages-1.67
!!! Possibly a DEPEND/*DEPEND problem.

!!! Depgraph creation failed.
bash-2.05b# echo "x11-terms/xterm ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
bash-2.05b# emerge -uDpv world

Calculating world dependencies /
!!! all ebuilds that could satisfy ">=x11-base/xfree-4.2.0-r9" have been masked.
!!! possible candidates are:
- x11-base/xfree-4.3.0-r5 (masked by: package.mask)
- x11-base/xfree-4.3.0-r7 (masked by: package.mask, ~keyword)
- x11-base/xfree-4.3.0-r6 (masked by: package.mask, ~keyword)
!!!    (dependency required by "media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.4496" [ebuild])

!!! Problem with ebuild media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.4496
!!! Possibly a DEPEND/*DEPEND problem.

!!! Depgraph creation failed.
bash-2.05b#

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: