Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
xfree is officially DEPRECATED on AMD64!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lv
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: xdm | kdm | gdm | etc... Reply with quote

ectospasm wrote:
Read through this topic and no ones mentioned it yet, and I want to make sure it won't break before I do this. Will merging xorg be transparent to login managers such as gdm (or xdm, kdm, etc.)?? I really like gdm, and I want to continue using it...

That leads me to my next question, will the wm stuff be the same as it was? I really don't want to have to go through configuring Fluxbox again...

From reading the topic I want to assume that these fears are invalid, but assumptions like that are the mother of all fuckups....

think of it as upgrading to a new version of xfree, because enough code was merged from xfree 4.4 rc2 to make that almost the truth. running etc-update should be the extent of your re-configuring... the upgrade should be completely transparent at this point. if it isn't for you, that's a bug and you should let us know so we can fix it. :)
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: xdm | kdm | gdm | etc... Reply with quote

ttilley wrote:
think of it as upgrading to a new version of xfree, because enough code was merged from xfree 4.4 rc2 to make that almost the truth. running etc-update should be the extent of your re-configuring... the upgrade should be completely transparent at this point. if it isn't for you, that's a bug and you should let us know so we can fix it. :)

Well, you may need to run opengl-update xorg-x11. I haven't gotten a new version of opengl-update in yet to deal with some issues there.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The initial post with the instructions on how to switch between xfree and xorg-x11 should also be posted in Desktop-forum as a sticky as we start to see quite a few posts with issues that is solved if they follow this simple and very good instruction :)

Erik
toffelsen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Might someone be so kind and take a look .... Reply with quote

...at my problems with ATI9800, X, KDE etc I described in this thread https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=148577. Will they also be solved? Or ist there something wrong with my kernel and its AGP settings?

Thanks in advance

toffelsen
Gelfling
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please excuse the noobiness of this question but I was wondering if it's possible to install xorg-x11 while doing a clean install of Gentoo. I'm currently in the process of backing up my files off of my AMD64 machine so I can install the Gentoo 2004.0 64-bit version. As of yet I haven't seen any mention of doing a clean install of Xorg-x11 instead of installing Xfree86. These talks only cover replacing Xfree86 with Xorg-x11.
Phanbox64: MSI K8N Neo2, AMD Athlon64 3500+, ATI Radeon 9800XT, Corsair TwinX1024-3200C2 1024MB SDRAM, 2 WD 74GB Raptors & 120GB SATA HD, Audigy2 ZS, Plextor PX-708A DVD-/+RW, Pioneer DVD-106S DVD-ROM, CoolerMaster WaveMaster Case
Lv
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the default virtual/x11 is still xfree, i believe. but yes, you can install xorg-x11 just fine for a fresh install, and configure it the same was you would xfree. the only major difference is that xf86config is not xorgconfig, and xf86cfg (gui) is now xorgcfg. just make sure to install xorg-x11 before anything that might need X, or it'll try to install xfree (if xfree is still the default virtual for X, that is).
Lv
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just changed the default virtual to xorg-x11. anything that needs X should now install xorg instead of xfree... i have no idea how i forgot to do that. *shakes head*
Birnenpfluecker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good work ttilley.
Installed it yesterday without probs. Thx for the good tutorial. And it starts X faster. Or that is only my feeling.
Kow
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xbindkeys works for me... im using xorg-x11.
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birnenpfluecker wrote:
...And it starts X faster. Or that is only my feeling.

I feel the same way. Logging in takes much less time, too. Fluxbox is up and running at least five seconds faster, if not more so...
Boris27
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ectospasm wrote:
Birnenpfluecker wrote:
...And it starts X faster. Or that is only my feeling.

I feel the same way. Logging in takes much less time, too. Fluxbox is up and running at least five seconds faster, if not more so...

I don't know what kind of configs you have, but fluxbox is up instantly for me, and I'm still on XFree86. (Compiling xorg-x11 now).
frank0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: xfree is officially DEPRECATED on AMD64!! Reply with quote

ttilley wrote:
xorg-x11 doesn't have any of these issues and is currently marked stable on amd64 as of earlier today, so anyone having problems now has a migration path that will fix any problems they might be seeing.

So what is the path for me to fix the problems with bug #48307?

XFree was working without any problems for me but after I was forced to upgrade to xorg-x11 I can't find a way to get any key working as Meta in emacs, which is really annoying since I use emacs a lot. :x
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, Xorg fails miserably on my system. I've just posted bug report 49180 about the problems I'm having. In short, Xorg crashes with a signal 11 when I try to start it. These problems appear to be related to the drivers for my video card, a SiS 330 ("Xabre"), since I can get Xorg to start if I just switch the driver from "sis" to "vesa". (That produces a slow display with a low refresh rate, though, so it's an unacceptable solution.) I'll stick with XFree86 until this problem is resolved -- and I realize that could be a while, as my video card is hardly a common model.
0tankred0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like xorg has been masked and doesn't recognize ACCEPT_KEYWORD="~amd64". Should I try a work around or would it be better to stay with xfree for now? Any suggestions?
Little Nemo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xorg is not masked for the amd64 architecture. In fact, amd64 is currently the only architecture it is not masked for.
AlterX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Ok...Xorg instead of xfree, but...storage is in low Reply with quote

Hi, as you've suggested,
I have updated xfree to Xorg, but in first case (with xfree) my storage was 1200M large, while, in the second case (Xorg), my storage was 280M large!!!!
I tried to erase portage tree and after i did 'emerge sync', but nothing!

How did emerge work?
Is there a memory leak?
How can I resolve it?

P.S. my installation with kde 3.2.1 (with not ALL kde standard applications) gets too space on hd (+ o - 3500MB)...the used space is morer then the other distros (such as debian, mdk...with ALL kde applications installed on).
I wonder if anyone would get me an answer!

Sorry for my english. :oops:

Ypsilon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Compile-error with gcc 3.4.0 and binutils 2.15.90.0.3-r1 Reply with quote

It doesn't work for me.

As I have an Athlon64 machine, I'm using GCC 3.4.0 for best optimization and performance.

But when I try to compile xorg-x11, it breaks after a while with this error:
Code:

gcc -c -march=k8 -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing  -ansi -pedantic -Wno-return-type -w    -I../.. -I../../exports/include   -Dlinux -D__amd64__ -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199309L    -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE                                 -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_SVID_SOURCE                             -D_GNU_SOURCE                            -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNARROWPROTO -DXTHREADS  -D_REENTRANT -DXUSE_MTSAFE_API    -DMALLOC_0_RETURNS_NULL  -DXVENDORNAME='"The X.Org Foundation"' -DXVENDORNAMESHORT='"X.Org"'    -fPIC XF86Rush.c
rm -f libXxf86rush.so.1.0~
+ cd .
+ gcc -o ./libXxf86rush.so.1.0~ -shared -Wl,-z,defs -Wl,-soname,libXxf86rush.so.1 XF86Rush.o -lc
XF86Rush.o(.text+0x49): In function `XF86RushQueryExtension':
: undefined reference to `XextCreateExtension'
XF86Rush.o(.text+0x75): In function `XF86RushQueryExtension':
: undefined reference to `XextFindDisplay'

...[Tons of more "undefined reference" errors]...

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [libXxf86rush.so.1.0] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/xorg-x11-6.7.0/work/xc/lib/Xxf86rush'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/xorg-x11-6.7.0/work/xc/lib'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/xorg-x11-6.7.0/work/xc'
make[1]: *** [World] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/xorg-x11-6.7.0/work/xc'
make: *** [World] Error 2

!!! ERROR: x11-base/xorg-x11-6.7.0 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 681, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

Is anyone of you using gcc-3.4.0 either?
I think it has to be very likely when you have an AMD64 architecture...
AlterX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: I don't know Reply with quote

my gcc would be the 3.3.0/3 version but I'm not sure!
My installation have been successfully completed!
Are you following the little guide on top?

hi
AlterX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Opps Reply with quote

Sorry for 'My installation have...'
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Compile-error with gcc 3.4.0 and binutils 2.15.90.0.3-r1 Reply with quote

Ypsilon wrote:
It doesn't work for me.

As I have an Athlon64 machine, I'm using GCC 3.4.0 for best optimization and performance.

But when I try to compile xorg-x11, it breaks after a while with this error:
Code:

gcc -c -march=k8 -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing  -ansi -pedantic -Wno-return-type -w    -I../.. -I../../exports/include   -Dlinux -D__amd64__ -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199309L    -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE                                 -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_SVID_SOURCE                             -D_GNU_SOURCE                            -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNARROWPROTO -DXTHREADS  -D_REENTRANT -DXUSE_MTSAFE_API    -DMALLOC_0_RETURNS_NULL  -DXVENDORNAME='"The X.Org Foundation"' -DXVENDORNAMESHORT='"X.Org"'    -fPIC XF86Rush.c
rm -f libXxf86rush.so.1.0~
+ cd .
+ gcc -o ./libXxf86rush.so.1.0~ -shared -Wl,-z,defs -Wl,-soname,libXxf86rush.so.1 XF86Rush.o -lc
XF86Rush.o(.text+0x49): In function `XF86RushQueryExtension':
: undefined reference to `XextCreateExtension'
XF86Rush.o(.text+0x75): In function `XF86RushQueryExtension':
: undefined reference to `XextFindDisplay'

Is anyone of you using gcc-3.4.0 either?
I think it has to be very likely when you have an AMD64 architecture...

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49038
Little Nemo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I was just about to upgrade to gcc 3.4.0. Now I won't :wink:
Lv
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that isnt a gcc 3.4.0 bug. that's a binutils 2.15.90.0.3-r1 bug. downgrade to binutils-2.15.90.0.1.1-r1 (not 2.14.x, as you might get further errors about ld not recognising the option --as-needed). dont worry, we're working on it :?
Ypsilon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys, it's working now without any problems. :D
El_Angelo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excuse me... I'm having the same problem and I don't know how to downgrade a package :oops: anybody that could tell me the exact command?
Lv
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at this point the gcc ebuilds have fixes, so if you have compiled gcc since upgrading binutils, just emerge sync, recompile gcc, and install binutils (the broken version is masked now). if not, just emerge sync and emerge binutils.

the problem with xorg has also been fixed... so you would compile anyways after an emerge sync.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: