Gentoo Freezes on Reboot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rajl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:44 am    Post subject: Gentoo Freezes on Reboot Reply with quote

Ok, I'm about to go crazy with this problem. Whenever I reboot my system, be it with "reboot" "shutdown -r now" or "init 6", my computer locks up after printing the message "Sending all processes the TERM signal [ok]".

I've been around a couple of times, and have no idea why this is happening. Does anyone here have an idea of what might be wrong? I've never had this problem when using other distros, so I find this rather wierd.

My system is Gentoo 1.4 rc1 if that helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------
It's easy to be brave once you consider the alternatives.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What power management options have you enabled in the kernel? Which kernel sources are you using? What is your hardware?
rajl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardware;

p4 1.7
32meg DDR GeForce2
pc800 768meg ram
dvd/cdrw combo drive
56x cd drive
microsoft usbmouse
17" Dell 1701Fp monitor
40gig maxtor 7200 rpm hda (win2k dedicated)
20 gig ibm 7200 rpm hdb (linux dedicated)
3com ethernet

kernel:
ver 2.4.19-something or other...whatever gentoo 1.4 rc1 release default was

Power Management:
Dell Bios, no apm features turned on

As for kernel power management options, I don't remember what they are. I'm rather new to linux (i'm tackling gentoo as a newbie). How would I go about finding out what my kernel's power management options were set to?

rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
kernel:
ver 2.4.19-something or other...whatever gentoo 1.4 rc1 release default was

I would recommend trying vanilla sources instead of gentoo sources whenever something weird happens with the kernel, but that's just me.

Quote:
As for kernel power management options, I don't remember what they are. I'm rather new to linux (i'm tackling gentoo as a newbie). How would I go about finding out what my kernel's power management options were set to?

Look in your kernel configuration (run "make menuconfig" again, but you don't have to save when exiting) and see about things like APM and ACPI.
iKiddo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you forgot to switch on apm in your kernel. I had the same thing, enabling APM solved it. On my other PC, though, it used to hang when I had xdm in my rc's. "rc-update del xdm default" solved it, I'm not sure what the situation is now, it might be in rc again now, I'll have to check.
rajl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I went into /usr/src and found directories to 2 kernels...one was called linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r7 and the other was called linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r9. there was also a symlink called linux which lead to linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r7, so I figured I would go in there and do "make menuconfig".

Actually, it was the only directory in which make menuconfig actually worked. However, when I typed "make menuconfig" I noticed that my old settings weren't being loaded, but it was the program defaults. I know this because i'm running a P4 and have iptables installed, and saw neither one checked. Also, there is no APM or ACPI option available. There was, however, a regular "Power Management" option available.

Also, I would like to report that out of the last 30 reboots, 2 have actually succeeded without my personal intervention (read without me pressing the power button). So the system can reboot, but it just doesn't do it 95% of the time.

With this information, can anyone out there think of what might be wrong with me system?

rajl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction...."make menuconfig" works only in the r9, and not the r7 directory, contrary to my post above. I'm sorry for the error.

iKiddo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should go into your r9 directory do make menuconfig, change to your likings (apm is called advanced power management in the menu's, if you didn't already notice) copy your .config file to ../ (the lower directory; /usr/src) then do make mrproper, copy back your .config file (mv ../.config ./) and do make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install. Then copy the bzImage file to your boot (don't forget to mount /boot) and change the /usr/src/linux symlink by typing 'rm /usr/src/linux' 'ln -s /usr/src/linux /usr/src/linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r9' (not sure here, you might have to swap those two directories around, so don't force the symlink or you'll have to emerge the new kernel again). That way you have the new kernel.

If in doubt check the kernel upgrade faq in the tips & tricks forum !!

I hope this helps.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: