View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Proposal for 1.4 Installation CD Reply with quote

.... no not really ... i just changed the topic so you guys gonna read this as i think this is really important. so this is actually a proposal on what we could do to make it a better distro.

this is about the INSTALLATION CD's - NOT about the Distro in General (which imho ROCKS!!!) - keep reading!!!

hi everyone,

as you might have noticed, the recent broad and public releases of the release candidate cd's is causing LOTS of trouble in the forums. main reasons for that are:
  1. missing kernel drivers like network cards & pcmcia support (there have benn much more issues reported in the forums and LOTS of people had much trouble with these iso's)
  2. unnessecary focus on the cd's due to the unreal tournament packaging
  3. inclusion of RELEASE CANDIDATES in the OFFICIAL RELEASE DOCUMENTATION (which is imho the biggest fault of all)
to the first point: it is clear that a general installation cd should contain as much as network device drivers as possible, all filesystem drivers, full multi-device support, most ide and scsi-device drivers, isdn, pppoe and modem support (which of course also means inclusion of all nessecary network protocolls). having all this stuff enabled as modules means supporting most machines.

looking at the current 1.4.1 iso (which imho doesnt deserve the version number at all) reveals that there are some drivers but lots are missing - but also shows that there are drivers which are completely unnessecary for the vast majority of gentoo users like parallel port ide device support. ok, nice to have but basically unnessecary on a BOOT INSTALLATION CD. i also dont see any sense in supporting LSI MPT. also the usb support is pretty bad .. what about ohci and uhci ... you need to have them as modules as you get in trouble many boards as they have often problems when both are drivers present statically. i also dont see the point in supporting NON x86 filesystems on a x86 installation cd (e.g. adfs - acorn disc filing system, affs - amiga fast filesystem, apple hfs etc.) ... you'll surely get the point.

second point: oh well, it's nice to have ut2003 on the cd and i enjoyed the demo too (and i will surely buy the game as soon as it hits the stores around here) but again, we're talking here about a damn beta cd which thousands of people downloaded and finally found out that the game isnt working online as the network drivers are missing .. e.g. eepro100 .., so what basically has been done was packaging a near-final product (namely UT2003) in a beta product (gentoo 1.4x) which got just because of this more attention than the stable operating system which imho still is version 1.2 which should be and here we are at point three, the one and only version to be noted in the official documentation until we have a final version 1.4.

just because other big companies promote and sell their beta versions as final products doesnt mean gentoo has to do the same. honestly, i really love gentoo and i've told anybody + dog that this is the best linux distro i've ever seen. but right now, i doubt to tell anybody about it because of the reasons mentioned above.

so here my proposal (which i've seperated in again 3 points):
  1. remove the 1.4x isos from the documentation and place 1.2 there instead. also make a seperate page for beta-ware where 1.4x should be found.
  2. announce these kind of isos (also in the future) as ALPHA or BETA versions and have a real beta testing phase to ensure that the RELEASE version is actually STABLE.
  3. put the forumguidlines directly on the root page on forums.gentoo.org to ensure that people read it at least once
ok ... thats it for the moment ... waiting for your comments ... :)

Last edited by rojaro on Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:46 pm; edited 5 times in total
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*push*
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you. I was somewhat unaware of the problems since I have avoided going to 1.4 because of the "_rc1" appended to it and I have little desire to play UT2003 (not that 1.4 is any sort of requirement for UT). An effort needs to be made to make sure that as many network cards are supported as possible off of the boot CD. My laptop's PCMCIA network card doesn't work during the install and I had to install using a wireless card (and that was 1.2)...that royally sucked trying to get that working. I also agree that the documentation should focus on the stable version. Perhaps Gentoo1.4_rc1.iso should be renamed
Gentoo1.4_rc1_BETA_DONT_USE_THIS_UNLESS_ YOU_KNOW_WHAT_YOU_ARE_DOING_AND_ ACCEPT_THE_CONSEQUENCES.iso

EDIT (rac): added a couple of spaces to the file name to allow linebreaking. Sorry pizen, but I think this thread is too important to let that annoying phpBB behavior of widening HTML display when it can't break lines make it really hard to read.
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same applies to the 1.4.1 iso which actually should be named 1.4rc2 iso ...

the current 1.4x isos are everything else but stabl or release versions ...
ZagiFlyer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rojaro wrote:
*push*

What does this mean?

--Ben Franklin
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: GENTOO SUUUUUCKS .... Reply with quote

rojaro wrote:
.... no not really ... i just changed the topic so you guys gonna read this as i think this is really important.
Thats as far as I read ;)

Last edited by pjp on Wed Sep 25, 2002 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
progster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm if I'm correct gentoo always uses beta's or even alpha's of software when you emerge something?

That's hardly stable, not that I mind... I think it's way better then the stable tree of i.e. debian which is terribly out dated.

Humm this sound a bit like flamebait :-/

~Progster
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

progster wrote:
Uhm if I'm correct gentoo always uses beta's or even alpha's of software when you emerge something?

Are you sure?
I think Gentoo uses the last stable version in portage.
Actually, it contains also the beta, but they are supposed to be all masked.
I believe if a beta is not masked, it should be considered as a bug.
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@fmalabre & @progster... i'm talking about the INSTALLATION CD's here - NOT the portage tree !!!

gentoo itself is fairly stable, but the lately distributed ISOs are even WORSE than all redhat, suse, mandrak, united linux cd's TOGETHER.
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZagiFlyer wrote:
rojaro wrote:
*push*
What does this mean?

was just a post to keep the topic on top as i believe this is really important and there have been no reply's at all on the original topic (which wasnt interessting enough as it seems) ... looks like people dont care at all when they read a topic like "PROPOSAL for Gentoo 1.4x Installation CDs" ... :(
DancesWithWords
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was one of those ppl that tried to install .14rc1 on a laptop with a Xircom Cardbus and was not able to get things working. I was quite disappointed. Now I need that this was a beta version, but the way things have been state on the web site, you would think that this was an officel release. I happen to agree with your suggestions. Lets hope that those in charge see fit to rectify the situation.

--
Sincerely
bruce
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so let me get this straight...
a person comes on to complain about 1.4_RC1's installer. Alright, I can understand that, as it doesn't exactly support a whole plethora of hardware.
Then, all of a sudden it starts boiling into a conversation on how stupid 1.4_RC1 is? Jesus.. it's a release candidate. There will probably be more like it, at that. Not only that, but it's a brand new compiler. (new ABI, everything) This isn't a matter of slapping together a couple of apps, making an iso and distributing it.. the rc1 is to test it out there.. everywhere. What doesn't work, write a bug report, and then rc2 will more than likely have some if not all the fixes.

I honestly don't know what to say if the installer doesn't support a wireless networking install over an X25 connection through an makeshift MQ series message passer to a mainframe with a direct connection to a novell server with a POTS connection to the corporate office who happens to run IPX to communicate with the netbios neighbors that each of a dialup connection to the 'net. (all shared by the corporate conglamorate to "save money")
Yes, it's a bit of an exaggeration (well, not a bit...) but dang.. if something isn't supported, bug report it. I'm sure something would be done about it if it isn't something totally obscure.

If all else fails, slap in a normal ethernet card, and go at it.
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkane wrote:
Alright, so let me get this straight...
a person comes on to complain about 1.4_RC1's installer. Alright, I can understand that, as it doesn't exactly support a whole plethora of hardware.

YOU DIDNT READ MY POST OR THE THREAD!!!!!!

i dont see anybody talking here about some funky installer thingy

Quote:
Then, all of a sudden it starts boiling into a conversation on how stupid 1.4_RC1 is? Jesus.. it's a release candidate.

YES!!! THATS EXACTLY WHAT I SAID. but this release candidate is promoted as a release version. even the official documentation doesnt say with one single word that this is just a RELEASE CANDIDATE!!!!

people go on the frontpage and click on top on install x86 and find THIS DOCUMENT which doesnt say with one single word that this is just a release candidate (it actually says: To begin the install process, first grab the livecd ISO images from http://www.ibiblio.org/gentoo/releases/1.4_rc1/.). or they see the latest newsposting on top of the page which says "UT2003 Gentoo LiveCD Update" - NOT A SINGLE WORD saying that this is just a releas candidate. also the refered ISO image .. it is labeled "livecd-ut2003-i586-1.4.1.iso" ... not even contains the "rc" anymore!!! have you seen any message anywhere that gentoo 1.4 final has been released??? well, i didnt and i even searched for such a message ... havent found any so far!

Quote:
There will probably be more like it, at that. Not only that, but it's a brand new compiler. (new ABI, everything) This isn't a matter of slapping together a couple of apps, making an iso and distributing it.. the rc1 is to test it out there.. everywhere. What doesn't work, write a bug report, and then rc2 will more than likely have some if not all the fixes.

I honestly don't know what to say if the installer doesn't support a wireless networking install over an X25 connection through an makeshift MQ series message passer to a mainframe with a direct connection to a novell server with a POTS connection to the corporate office who happens to run IPX to communicate with the netbios neighbors that each of a dialup connection to the 'net. (all shared by the corporate conglamorate to "save money")
Yes, it's a bit of an exaggeration (well, not a bit...) but dang.. if something isn't supported, bug report it. I'm sure something would be done about it if it isn't something totally obscure.

If all else fails, slap in a normal ethernet card, and go at it.

oh ... i see ... intel etherexpress pro100 cards are absolutely uncommon cards and nobody is actually using these cards and pcmcia devices are absolutely uncommon too ... ok, end of sarcasm - i think i dont need to comment the last quote as everybody (who actually have read my post or half of it) can see clearly that arkane didnt even took the time to read the first few lines in my post.

arkane, i'm sorry to tell you, but your post was completely unqualified and absolutely nonsense (partialy even out of context). read my post on top, think about it and then you may post your thoughts on it ... or do i really have to tell you that there is something like the forum guidelines (of which you've just violated point 7 and 8 - right i've violated point 4 but i corrected this with the first words on the post and the reason for it should be pretty clear)???

oh and btw ... even your pseudo geek code in your signature is not even geekcode compliant ... tried several decoders ... e.g. this, this and this one ...

Last edited by rojaro on Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rojaro wrote:

Dude, I think you need to take a Xanax. Nobody is going to take you seriously while you're ranting and raving like a crocodile with St Vitus' dance.

To answer your point though, I think that it's important that as many new users as possible come to the distribution using the 1.4 series - watching new users try to upgrade to GCC 3.2 ( as they will eventually have to do ) is going to be ( even more ) heartbreaking otherwise. I have found the 1.4RC1 disc to be perfectly stable, and have zarro complaints with it.

Sure, you'd be pissed if they missed the network card for your particular box, but instead of going into a rage, file a bug, and wait for the next RC. That is what RC's are for.

-- Curious
P.S. I think bumping your own thread ( outside of the official Bump thread ) is pretty low. If people aren't commenting, perhaps they have nothing to add / aren't interested. Don't force it down their throats.
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious wrote:
rojaro wrote:

Dude, I think you need to take a Xanax. Nobody is going to take you seriously while you're ranting and raving like a crocodile with St Vitus' dance.

hahaha ... :)

Quote:
To answer your point though, I think that it's important that as many new users as possible come to the distribution using the 1.4 series - watching new users try to upgrade to GCC 3.2 ( as they will eventually have to do ) is going to be ( even more ) heartbreaking otherwise. I have found the 1.4RC1 disc to be perfectly stable, and have zarro complaints with it.

well .. the shear endless number of posts complaining about problems with the install iso which normally should not even appear on an alpha release of a distro tells me there is something seriously wrong ...

Quote:
Sure, you'd be pissed if they missed the network card for your particular box, but instead of going into a rage, file a bug, and wait for the next RC. That is what RC's are for.

oh, im actually perfectly happy with the 1.4 as it works perfectly for me (on 3 machines) and i personally didnt have any troubles at all as i didnt use the 1.4rc iso's at all ... THE POINT is that we have a very buggy product which is promoted as if it would be a final release product ... my advice: you should read my post on top of the thread.

Quote:
P.S. I think bumping your own thread ( outside of the official Bump thread ) is pretty low. If people aren't commenting, perhaps they have nothing to add / aren't interested. Don't force it down their throats.

well ... that perfectly shows how unproffessional the vast majority of gentoo users is - but thats ok and nothing to worry about ... there are always users and people which know a little bit more than them. and also, there is not a single word in the forum guidelines against pushing threads. true, it might not be the finest way to get noticed but the reason for doing it should be pretty clear if you would have read my post on top. oh ... and when im at it ... you should check point 7 and point 9 in the forum guidelines too ... .
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rojaro wrote:
and also, there is not a single word in the forum guidelines against pushing threads.

rojaro wrote:
oh ... and when im at it ... you should check point 7 and point 9 in the forum guidelines too ... .

Just because something isn't mentioned in the Forum guidelines doesn't mean I can't say that I find it to be pretty 'low'. You have not been bashed, nor have I attacked you personally. Please don't attempt to 'rules-lawyer' me, as I can see you doing to several other people in this thread. Nothing you can say along these lines will intimidate me in the least. *

I don't feel like the RC1.4's are being promoted like finals. I went and asked people on IRC before installing them. Other people were there, asking the same question. They were clearly enough labelled. In your initial post, you asked for comments - now you're getting them: my comment boils down to the following.

~ I think most of your concerns are invalid.
~ Those that are, should be reported through channels.
~ I think you're allowing yourself to become extremely worked up about this.

-- Curious

* Unless you spontaneously morph into a moderator.
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just because something isn't mentioned in the Forum guidelines doesn't mean I can't say that I find it to be pretty 'low'.

said so myself twice already ... didnt i? thanks for repeating me
Quote:
You have not been bashed, nor have I attacked you personally.

oh, telling me i should take some "Xanax" (i assume thats something like valium) just because i use bold letters to express words of personal importance in a context of personal defense and highlighting stuff which seems to be important to me is actually pretty harsh, and im pretty sure you wouldnt have done so i a personal discussion

Quote:
I don't feel like the RC1.4's are being promoted like finals.

gentoo.org, frontpage, first article ... dont see a word mentioning a release candidate ...

Quote:
In your initial post, you asked for comments - now you're getting them: my comment boils down to the following.

~ I think most of your concerns are invalid.

what makes you think that?

Quote:
~ Those that are, should be reported through channels.

there are a few hundred posts in the forums about only the issues mentioned above ... said that already ... so again i notice you still didnt read my post ...

Quote:
~ I think you're allowing yourself to become extremely worked up about this.

oh ... my noodle is longer than yours - if you are going down to that level ... still my points mentioned in my post on top of the thread are 100% valid UNLESS you can prove that i'm wrong. my reason for writing the initial post of this thread should be very clear to you if you would have read the post at all ... and well, isnt it my decision what i do with my time? and in case you still dont noticed: all i wanted was to share my thoughts on how to make gentoo a better distro. i didnt start bashing myself.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we turn down the temperature a notch? It's getting a bit hot in here for my tastes.

Yes, there have been some problems with the install CDs. Yes, they need to be fixed. Yes, informative bug reports should be filed against them. Yes, people should be made aware of the fact that many people have had trouble with the install CDs. Yes, we should make sure that everyone knows that there are ways to install a current Gentoo without needing to touch a livecd.

I read this thread when it had one post in it and it was called something like "Proposal for 1.4 Installation CD", and I thought that the post at the top of it raised some valid concerns about the install CDs, and made some useful concrete suggestions. I thought that it maybe expressed itself in a bit of a hyperbolic manner, but rojaro often chooses stronger language to express points than I would have chosen, so I read it through my rojaro filter, and thought that it was a nice thread, but I didn't feel I could add anything useful as I have never touched an x86 Gentoo install CD.

I don't know when the title was changed, but it sure reflects the general level of discussion that this thread has degenerated into, and that is not a Good Thing. I still think the initial discussion has merit, and so I'm trying to avoid locking the thread. But the next personal attack in here will be the last. We're all on the same team here, folks. We don't have time for intramural squabbling.
progster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the documents should mention that it's a release candidate or refere to the stable release, same for the unreal2003 cd... other then that I think you should indeed post some bug reports ;-)

My 2 cents

~Progster
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks --

I changed the title back to what it was originally (or similar enough). Posting a flamebait title just to get people to read your post is bad netiquette. Please don't do it.

Furthermore, as rac said, the temperature in this thread is way too high (caused partly by the flamebait title, IMO). Good points have been raised, but they need to be done in a professional manner. Please ratchet things down a few notches.

Don't make me break out the trout. :)

--kurt
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i initially wrote my little proposal, all i had in mind was to share my thoughts on how we could make the gentoo distro a just little bit better. im sorry that i've changed the topic and im even more sorry that i've actually thought that there are people here which would like to contribute something to the distro. after all this is a community project, just like the linux kernel. it lives from the thoughts and ideas of it's users. but as it seems i was completely wrong...

ok, a few things i've learned from this thread:

1. dont share your ideas & thoughts
2. dont try help other people with their problems if you dont have the same problems

so i wont bother you folks anymore with my thoughts.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rojaro wrote:
but as it seems i was completely wrong...

That's being a bit melodramatic, don't you think?

rojaro wrote:
ok, a few things i've learned from this thread:

1. dont share your ideas & thoughts
2. dont help anybody with their problems if you dont have the same problems
3. just dont care about the others.

And that is a classic example of a straw man argument. I won't even bother responding as its not germaine to the discussion.

For the record, everyone is invited to share their opinions, thoughts and beliefs. The only caveat is that you do so in a courteous, professional manner.

--kurt
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thats your opinion ...
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with rojaro about the actual points made (after you "read it in your 'rojaro' filter..) in the original post. I would like to add that I was disappointed that the livecd with ut2003 became such a huge selling point for gentoo 1.4. I think it kinda stole some steam from the movement to a solid and stable distro to a fun 'n' games distro. There are a lot of people who like gentoo for a desktop system and not for a server as it's not 'stable'. Don't get me wrong, gentoo is a really fun distribution to use, but having all these links and discussion about ut2003 took a little chip out of the appearance of stability that gentoo was creating.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things beta frequently break.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: