View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jthj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: good hosting Reply with quote

I am currently looking for a home for my domains. I would like to have a blog possibly but primarily I use them for email. The current host I am using is very small and part time. The admins have full time jobs and do this on evenings. They do a good job considering but things take time to get fixed. Due to hardware failure I am currently without home. They should have the server replaced very soon but they are giong to be running it on Fedora core and using sendmail. This doesn't make me very confident in the server from the start. That has made me think about considering hosting somewhere else. Since it's run by a freind I'm not paying anything but I find that I need better reliability than he has time to provide for me for free. Anyway to get the point I need a host that is affordable. Provides shell access, imap, webmail, and lots of storage space. Also if I could create and delete email accounts on my domains that would be a plus. Unlimited number of email addresses on my domains would also be a plus. Running a good mail server like postfix on a good os like Gentoo would also be a plus. And most importatly some sort of redundancy. I would rent a server myself but I simply don't have time to keep up with it and my school and my job.

Sorry moderators I realize this is probably not the right category. Feel free to move it.
jjasghar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.tek.net

they are solid and awesome! pretty cheap too. tell them JJ sent you
#include <LinuxUser #324070>
main()
{
printf("and i'm sorry my spellign sucs.");
}
jthj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjasghar wrote:
www.tek.net

Do you know the people running it?
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaceports used to be great, they used to be free too :-(
jjasghar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jthj wrote:
jjasghar wrote:
www.tek.net

actaully yeah, so it is biased, but it's quaility people, and they basically only run gentoo.
main()
{
}
jthj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjasghar wrote:
jthj wrote:
jjasghar wrote:
www.tek.net

actaully yeah, so it is biased, but it's quaility people, and they basically only run gentoo.

That's good! Do you know what they are using for a mail server imap webmail ect? Or should I just ask them. This info wasn't on the web page. Also they alluded to the fact that there are basic yearly plans but all I could find were monthly plans...... not sure what that is all about.
jjasghar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah they can either are easy man, more or less whatever you need done on the machines they can provide. they use for their email qmail and the squirrel mail web interface so, with imap and pop running, so it's flexable.

it's a good company; solid, realiable and customer centered....wow i sound like an ad....i don't mean too though, they just are.
main()
{
}
Halcy0n
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not completely the same as what the OP was asking for, but does anyone know of any good colocation companies?
thrasher6670
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaLCy0n wrote:
Not completely the same as what the OP was asking for, but does anyone know of any good colocation companies?

i just got my new server with http://skiplink.com (not much of a website right now), but its great and the owner is very helpfull. I have http://gentoo-portage.com running off a server i got with them now, its pretty nice.
jimmylen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: In the process of setting up two servers Reply with quote

I've just posted tek.net some questions before setting up two customers with dedicated servers.
Was looking around for comments about tek.net. The only thing I came across so far is one unhappy customer. He had 3 days of downtime since september due to hardware failure. Don't know if it was dedicated server or webhosting he had.
Anyway, looks that I will go with tek.net. For the moment one of the customers have a virtual machine account on a FreeBSD machine at a Panama based provider. No complains on the OS, but the service. 48 hours of downtime in 3 weeks without any explanations.
Boorish Id
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Good online hosting? Reply with quote

I was wondering if any of you out there know of a good company for hosting files and the such online. See what im trying to do is get some sort of server with higher bandwith than mine for streaming movies from my website (hosted by me) and some sql work. I ended up signing up for this place called existhost wich is a web hosting company, thats total shit. They used funny wording like unlimited sql databases, wich is true but you have to pay for every db over the first one! They also told me that id be able to create links to my files there from the pages hosted on my server wich seems to be bs too. Im really looking for some kind of hi bandwith, at least gig of storage solution. Ill take pretty much any suggestions from renting rackspace to web hosting companies as long as there solid and there not one of these companies with lousy support based out of india, and i can hotlink files thats the most important thing :).
leftbas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try www.olm.net. I've used them as a web host for a few years now and I think their support is really good. And it's in Boston, too. You'll have to check out what they offer in terms of server-side add-ons, cuz I don't use too many myself. But I know they're reasonably priced and responsive.

Good luck.
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather like Monster Hosting Canada's services. I use their "Mini-Unix" plan.
Boorish Id
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you guys know if these places will support linking the files i have uploaded there from my real web site? that is the most important thing, im running my site of my own server box with enough bandwith to serve pages and images but my friend is trying to set up a streaming movie site, wich just chokes the bandwith i currently have and buying a t3 is just not an affordable option. like i said this doesnt necisarly have to be a web host company per say i dont need a web server or anything just need a place to store files and mysql datbases
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far as I can tell that is fully permitted so long as you stay under your space/bandwidth constraints. I host random things (screenshots, things for friends, etc) on my site and haven't had problems yet, even linking directly to things on my page from my blog at times.

(Note to self: LEARN TO SPELL CORRECTLY! Grr...)

Last edited by codergeek42 on Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Boorish Id
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya i went through there knowlege base and found out you can enable/disable hotlinking, wich is cool. they seem like a viable option! man ive been in this tech support chat with my hosting place for 20 minutes and they havent even answered my question yet wich is, why the hell when i type my ip i dont see my index.html, so i call there support number it says to send and e-mail, this is bs all i wanna do is test hotlinking out and i cant even see the damn stuff hosted on there server. Man this is crap, this is the worst hosting company ever and they lie about everything like getting a free domain name, they dont tell you it costs 15 bucks to have them buy it and take care of it, rarrr im so mad right now.
Verted
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like http://d2hosting.com - Used them for well over a year now with no problems.

http://verted.net
godsmack420
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.jaguarpc.com

I've used them for about 2 years and never have had any problems with them. I like them because you get SSH included. Alot of other hosting plans I look at either don't offer SSH or charge you extra for it.

Randy
roo_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Dreamhost Reply with quote

I just signed up with Dreamhost for $9.24 for a whole year, for the Crazy Domain Insane plan. I know it says $7.95 per month but there is a promo on to get it for $9.24 for 12 months. Best deal on net by far.

Feel free to PM me and i'll give u the info on how to get this. Dreamhost are a reputable host from what I can google, and ive been with them for a week or so now and im very impressed at everything they offer. My site is at http://www.migrantroo.com btw :)

HTH,
Roo
richardjames
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.netpivotal.com or www.netpivotal.co.uk

I have my site hosted with them, you get 5 mysql databases, 2gig space, 80gig bandwidth and i've never noticed any downtime (thats just the cheapest they do). Linux hosting is also slightly cheaper than Windows hosting, and you get a free domain name if you sign up for a year.
boilersuit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch for QIQ.
http://www.qiq.co.uk/technology1.php

16.99GBP per year (about 30 dollars). It's reasonable value for 10GB storage, 100GB pm transfer and the support is excellent. I use them for my business and have no complaints. As long as you are serving your own files and are not a general download site, anything goes.

Another excellent hosting company I've used for a few years is
www.ICDsoft.com. A little more expensive but you get support within an hour by email.
Omega21
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we are on the subject of webhosts, Im looking for a free one that I can make forums with..
So I would need php, and mySQL on it, but im having trouble finding one thats free...
Seen anything?
edudlive
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dot5hosting (www.dot5hosting.com), they had a 5% off promotion a while back (you can go into their live chat and ask a tech guy for a promo code if there is one) so I got 1.5GB storage 50GB bandwidth and a domain for $57 US (but even at $60 its a steal)

The ONLY thing is, they don't use CPanel...they use vDeck
blaksaga
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hostmatix.com. I'm paying $50 a year for quite a bit. Check out the annual deals they have. Also their support is excellent and I haven't had one single bit of downtime for almost a year now.
Boorish Id
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man thanks for the jaguar one that exactly what i was looking for! That puppy is awesome! I really wanted a cheap plan like that with shh support and couldnt find one, i dont like uploading stuff to servers via ftp, and i wanted to be able to use a shell. The only problem is talking my partner into canceling existhost, we got it all fixed up now so hes probably going to wine about cancelling it. The price is right too 9.95 a yearman cant beat that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: