View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:49 pm    Post subject: keyboard and mouse conflict Reply with quote

I just had a new machine (Pentium 4, 1.8ghz). I transfered Gentoo system from my old hard disk to the new hard disk (using a CDROM rescue disk). My Gentoo system on my old machine works fine. On the new machine, whenever I go to X, the mouse is frozen. There are a few times, the mouse is not frozen, but the keyboard does not response when I type to the X terminal. When I exit X (to the command line mode), if the mouse works in X, then the keyboard is frozen (nothing on screen when typing on keyboard). I notice that if I unplug and replug the keyboard, I can type again using keyboard. It looks like there is conflict between the mouse and keyboard in X.
I try to recompile (emerge) X and the kernel but the problem still exists.
I Windows 98 (re-install on the new machine), the mouse works fine.
Is there anyone has a similar problem?
Thanks
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: xf86config Reply with quote

While you might not want to hear it, the error is most likely in /etc/X11/XF86Config

Run xf86config on your new machine and keep working with that until you get the keyboard and mouse to work. My guess is that the configuration of your new system is different than that of the old system, and thus needs to be updated.

Karl
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: