Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Students, get paid to work on Gentoo this summer!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Students, get paid to work on Gentoo this summer! Reply with quote

Gentoo has been accepted for its 6th consecutive year in the Google Summer of Code! GSoC pays college students $5000 to work full-time on an open-source project for a summer. Check out our GSoC 2011 homepage if you are interested in this year's GSoC for Gentoo. We particularly encourage applications from students who are new to Gentoo development—many of our students become Gentoo developers after a successful summer.

Interested students can browse Gentoo's project ideas. Student applications are now open, and they'll be accepted until 1900 UTC on April 8. That's just over a week away, so don't delay; get in touch with us now if you want to apply.

[mod]Marked the topic sticky - Jorge (jmbsvicetto)[/mod]
Unstuck. -- desultory
noisymouse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't sure where to respond to apply, so I'm just doing it hear. Anyway, I'm interested in the "Web interface for submitting Documentation changes" project idea. I have experience with web programming and am quick to pick up new languages so I ought to be able to make changes to ease the learning curve for newer Gentoo contributors.

Also, I've noticed that there is a huge lack of accessibility support for those with disabilities, especially in the lower levels of the OS, but also in the various desktop environments. In fact I don't know of any OS that really addresses the special needs of those with disabilities. Among other things: it is difficult to make a system easier to see for those with poor eyesight. One solution would be to have a standard for all applications (or at least all GNOME/KDE applications) that respects a scale parameter. Of course there already exist things like the font selector in the Appearance settings for GNOME, but it is of somewhat poor design as one does not have the choice to make all the fonts larger at the same time. What's more, one would require assistance in order to even be able to get to those settings in the first place, depending on one's vision. And often times the changes in font size conflict with screen space, particularly on smaller screens.

I realize a lot of this might be outside the scope of Gentoo, but other distros have led development on major projects :cough: ubuntu :cough: and I believe accessibility improvements would vastly increase the value of Gentoo and availability of digital freedom. As far as things that Gentoo could implement short of major changes to desktop environments, these would be things like making the install CD possible to use for those with hearing or vision problems. For instance, an interface that takes advantage of the largescale use of microphones and speakers by using a voice-based interface could be of great import.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noisymouse, your too late, the deadline has passed, the students have been selected for this year.

you seem to have missed the links dberkholz posted:

GSoC 2011 homepage
project ideas

Anyway your certainly welcome to join in and help achieve your idea of improved accessibility for gentoo.
delan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish the GSoC was open to under-18s. I'd love to participate if I could. I think Google had a program similar to GSoC, but for under-18s, but it ran for two or three years and is no longer active.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: