Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Need CDCEther for net install (Ambit USB modem)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 6:19 am    Post subject: Need CDCEther for net install (Ambit USB modem) Reply with quote

Hello, I'm looking forward to installing gentoo, but I can't get around this connectivity problem. I need the CDCEther driver which is part of the experimental code in the 2.4.19 kernel, but it's not compiled into the gentoo kernal. :( It works fine and is how I"m connected on my Mandrake system presently, very fast. I'm wondering if there is any way I can add the support I need to the gentoo boot ISO or do something to get this driver working so I can get my net connection up. I know USB sucks and I should have an ethernet card, but I don't, sorry.

Sincerely,
Josh
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading about booting from a floppy and then using the CD, but I'm confused on exactly how it would work... I was thinking I could take my custom built Mandrake kernel, and put it on floppy (complete with CDCEther support) and then use that to sort of "bootstrap" the cd and jump into it with ethernet support, but I'm not sure I even know how to make a bootable floppy with the right drivers and stuff. Only into this Linux stuff a few months....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: