"emerge -e world" fails
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sven
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 5:13 am    Post subject: "emerge -e world" fails Reply with quote

I'm in the process of upgrading my Gentoo 1.2 to Gentoo 1.4 RC1. Update scripts 1 to 4 have been sucessfully finished. Now I am doing an "emerge -e world" which already failed two times after hours of compiling :cry: Once it just stopped while downloading gawk, the other time it failed while trying to downloading a gnome package, the connection failed.

Is there a way to tell emerge to retry a download indefinitely until it works? The problem is, that my DSL connection sometimes gets lost, also, there is a disconnect after 24hours of use and I guess the update process while take more time :(

Another solution would be to restart "emerge -e world" where it stopped. Any idea?
Johto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: "emerge -e world" fails Reply with quote

sven wrote:
I'm in the process of upgrading my Gentoo 1.2 to Gentoo 1.4 RC1. Update scripts 1 to 4 have been sucessfully finished. Now I am doing an "emerge -e world" which already failed two times after hours of compiling :cry: Once it just stopped while downloading gawk, the other time it failed while trying to downloading a gnome package, the connection failed.

Is there a way to tell emerge to retry a download indefinitely until it works? The problem is, that my DSL connection sometimes gets lost, also, there is a disconnect after 24hours of use and I guess the update process while take more time :(

Another solution would be to restart "emerge -e world" where it stopped. Any idea?

I had exactly same experience... i have still compiling...well, lets just hope nothing brakes even it has stopped couple times...
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: "emerge -e world" fails Reply with quote

sven wrote:
Is there a way to tell emerge to retry a download indefinitely until it works?

If you're using wget to download, adding the "-t 0" option to it will cause it to retry forever. You can specify a custom command for FETCHCOMMAND in /etc/make.conf, copying largely the one in /etc/make.globals as a base.

Quote:

For this one, you might want to see Dolio's work in emerge -pe world resuming.
sven
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much! :D
I will try that when I'm at home!
sven
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit, it stopped again due to a faulty download :(
The rmerge scripts (every version) don't work here. It seems like sed does not edit the stream at all... ?! I've remerged sed but it did not fix this problem. Any idea?
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sven wrote:
Dammit, it stopped again due to a faulty download :(
The rmerge scripts (every version) don't work here. It seems like sed does not edit the stream at all... ?! I've remerged sed but it did not fix this problem. Any idea?

okay... how about:
Code:
emerge -fe world

and after that DO NOT DO a:
Code:
emerge rsync

just start a normal:
Code:
emerge -e world

cheers

steve
rob_f
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has happened to me as well; emerge -e world stops for me and says that it's confused about the proper kernel version, and I should check to see if the /usr/src/linux symlink is correct.

I did that, and then I did emerge -e world again. Still compiling. Should be a couple of hours.
sven
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge failed again :cry: :cry: !! This time, openoffice aborted with a compiler error.

Thanks for the hint, steveb, this eliminates the connection problem! Still it would be best if the rmerge script would work here. This is the output

Code:

# rmerge -s
Currently rmerging: world
Beginning new merge
File '[ebuild' does not exist!
Failed to emerge package [ebuild

I think this error occurs because sed does not edit the stream (which is the output of emerge -pe world) at all! Help, please!
T2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
If you have spare partition it's so much easier and cleanier to upgrade gentoo from chrooted environment, at least for me. I'm doing it know while writing this. I have 4partitions: boot, "gentoo1", "gentoo2" and swap. I instaled gentoo 1.2 on gentoo1 partition and used gentoo2 as storage space. Now I'm bootstraping 1.4rc1 which is chrooted on gentoo2. At the end I'll switch places and use gentoo1 as extra storage and so on... Just remember to backup etc and your home/mail etc etc conf scripts.
rob_f
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:41 am    Post subject: nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel vomit during emerge -e world Reply with quote

Apparently, it's a good idea to upgrade your kernel to 2.4.19-r9 before doing emerge -e world. If you have the nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel packages, I recommend doing this so you don't get 2 hours into the system build to have the script bomb when you get to this point (and waiting another 2 hours to get back to where you were before you crashed).

What happens is that the nvidia-kernel/glx packages can't tell what kernel you have if there's more than 1 linux directory in the /usr/src/ directory.

Originally, I had a 2.4.19-gentoo-r7 directory and a 2.4.19-gentoo-r9 directory. Currently I use r7, but never compiled r9. This seemed to bother emerge.

What I did was move my old 2.4.19-r7 kernel stuff away from /usr/src and compile the new 2.4.19-r9. I have not actually rebooted with the new kernel for fear of breaking something -- emerge -e world still isn't finished.

I'm doing the upgrade from 1.2 using the update scripts. I'm through all the scripts, in emerge -e world right now. It's been going for several hours, and I don't know where I am, but that's understandable. Will post an update to tell if everything's gone alright.

-rob
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel vomit during emerge -e worl Reply with quote

rob_f wrote:
What happens is that the nvidia-kernel/glx packages can't tell what kernel you have if there's more than 1 linux directory in the /usr/src/ directory.

You can have as many source trees in /usr/src/ as you wish. You just have to make sure that /usr/src/linux is pointing to the one for the running kernel at the time you emerge packages containing kernel modules.
T2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree to that. When switching to newer/pached kernel tree you just unmerge and reemerge al 3rd party kernel modules like nvidia and lm-sensors. I have two simple scripts for this

#pre-switch

#compile new kernel, linux link points here
rc-update del xdm default
/etc/init.d/xdm stop
emerge unmerge lm_sensors nvidia-kernel
#reboot and wake up in console with new kernel

#post-switch
emerge lm_sensors nvidia-kernel
#emerge nvidia-kernel
rc-update add xdm default
#reboot again with xdm
sven
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have 2.4.19-r9 in my src directory so there should be now problem. I had to restart emerge -e again this morning because of the procps bug (see https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=16385)! I temporary disabled the sandbox feature as a work around... emerge is running 10 hours now ... I hope it will work this time!!
sven
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T2 wrote:
If you have spare partition it's so much easier and cleanier to upgrade gentoo from chrooted environment...

Well, I want to keep all my seetings so I prefered an update instead of a fresh installation.
T2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, tar zcvf user-root_backup.tgz /home/user/ does the trick
but I agree it's a little more work to restore all previous settings.
sven
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally, after 11 hours of compiling ... it's done! some programs where missing like for example k3b or licq but i could emerge them afterwards. wohoo! :D
rob_f
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel vomit during emerge -e worl Reply with quote

rac wrote:
rob_f wrote:

You can have as many source trees in /usr/src/ as you wish. You just have to make sure that /usr/src/linux is pointing to the one for the running kernel at the time you emerge packages containing kernel modules.

That's what I thought too, and I had the /usr/src/linux symlink correct. I'm 100% sure of it. Two times I emerged -e world and it stopped at the same thing.

The 2.4.19-r9 source tree had nothing compiled in it, and the r7 src tree did. I moved r7 out, built r9, and it worked. Maybe it was something specific to my machine, who knows.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: