doing the segfault shuffle
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arifmamdani
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 4:31 am    Post subject: doing the segfault shuffle Reply with quote

Okay, so I have no idea what's happening here.

I started trying to install 1.4 yesterday, and in the last 24 hours, I've hit a number of blocks...

now mind you, this isn't my first installation of gentoo, in fact 1.2 is running on my laptop from which I type this message.... so anyway, here's the deal

First attempt - segfault compiling something. I don't remember what it was, but after doing some searching, I see that maybe I should tone down my CFLAGS a bit, so I go down to
Code:
-march=athlon -O3 pipe -fomit-frame-pointer
and try again. Same problem, different package. Somewhere in the middle, the isntall bombs out complaining about a mismatch in md5's, so i've gotta remove the old package and download again.

2nd attempt, toned downed CFLAGS from before, this time grab the stage 2 tarball, since I never got anywhere with stage one. I'm thinking I'll start with stage two, then do and emerge -e system. Same problem as before, segfaults, different times, different packages, also issues with md5's on packages.

At this point, I'm thinking a couple things, so here's where I'm at, in decreasing order of likelihood (in my opinion):
RAM has gone south on me

Network card is flaky (its a netgear fa310tx, tulip chip), this is somewhat unlikely to be causing all these problems, but then I've had network cards do really bad things to my system before

power supply to the power supply is bad
or

power supply is bad

I'm wondering if anyone else has some thoughts on this....

thanks
-arif
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly does smell like hardware to me. If you haven't seen it, here's a fairly detailed thread on one method of testing RAM. A HDD that's starting to flake out on you is another possibility, as is inadequate CPU cooling, too aggressive CPU clocking or RAM timings in BIOS, improper SCSI termination (if you have SCSI drives, that is), cheap or improperly seated IDE cables, insufficiently beefy power supply.
arifmamdani
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 4:48 am    Post subject: yeah, it's funny, right? Reply with quote

Almost makes me want to install redhat or something to see if that craps out as well.

I guess I'll start going throught eliminating the possibilities... unless of course anyone wants to donate a 700 MHz box they've got sitting somewhere gathering dust to me.

:D

thanks for the link to the other thread
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: yeah, it's funny, right? Reply with quote

arifmamdani wrote:
Almost makes me want to install redhat or something to see if that craps out as well.

I figure this is half-joking, but (perhaps you're aware of this, but someone who comes across this in the archives might not be) source-based distributions are a *much* more rigorous stress test than any binary-based distribution. Compiling software, especially big software like glibc and GCC is serious work on all components of a computer system.

It is entirely possible, even likely, that you would be able to install a binary-distributed OS on hardware that is subtly flawed and only notice the occasional glitch or crash. The same hardware will be much less likely to be able to bootstrap GCC correctly.
arifmamdani
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 5:03 am    Post subject: my apologies, I was totally joking Reply with quote

my apologies, :oops:
the redhat comment was totally a joke, should have included a :wink:
my bad
arifmamdani
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 5:44 am    Post subject: We have a winner... sort of Reply with quote

Well,
memtest86 is showing quite a few errors... so it looks like I've found the culprit!

thanks for the assitance.

Time to buy some new RAM
Just out of curiousity, if I buy RAM from crucial using the link off the gentoo site, how much of a cut does gentoo get?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: