Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
baselayout overwriting make.conf during bootstrap??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ViceClown
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:41 am    Post subject: baselayout overwriting make.conf during bootstrap?? Reply with quote

I've got gentoo going on a few systems now so I thought I knew what I was doing.

Im trying to put it (1.2) on a pretty basic AMD K6 with 192 megs of ram. Very basic setup.

Before bootstrapping I set the make.conf file to use i586 optimizations. During bootstrap I see lots of "i686" calls going by and after it inevitably fails during compile when I check the make.conf it's over-written with a newer version with "i686" set as the default compile opts. What gives?

Is i686 going to be the new default? If I update does a new baselayout over write this? I know about CONFIG_PROTECT but I shouldn't use that to bootstrap right? Any help would be great. Thanks!
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During bootstrap, your make.conf does indeed get overwritten by baselayout. If you abort bootstrap.sh (or it dies on you for some other reason), your old make.conf will be sitting in make.conf.build and you will need to move it to /etc/make.conf manually.

That being said, bootstrap.sh also extracts lots of stuff from your /etc/make.conf, including CHOST and CFLAGS, so even though make.conf is overwritten by baselayout, it shouldn't hurt you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: