SparcStation 5
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: SparcStation 5 Reply with quote

I'm (perhaps stupidly but that's another matter) busy installing gentoo 1.4 RC-3 on my sparcstation 5. Currently running emerge -u system and all that jazz. USE flags and the rest is all set at default.

I seem to be having alot of problems compiling various programs. libtool especially took 4-5 tries to get to work right. Specifically it get wanting a new version of automake yet emerge had it about 20 down the compile list. I had to emerge --nodep automake to get libtool to compile. Wanted to know if anybody expereinced similar difficulties? I was going to file a bug report but wanted to see if anybody else had similar experiences first.

Last thing I wanted to know is if gentoo was ever going to put out reference cd for sparc architecture, or have they abandoned it in favor of sparc64?
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you were building libtool, were you using emerge -u libtool or emerge libtool?

We had some problems when working on a 2004.0 release for sparc32 that have since been remedied. Since the scheduled timeframe for the 2004.1 release was close, we are going to skip sparc32 for 2004.0 but have a 2004.1 release.
bbd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an emerge -u libtool after the initial install. It reported (trying to remember exact error message) a version of automake > 2.6 needed.

Also, another quick bug report here, I can't seem to compile perl 5.8.2-r1 as well. When doing an emerge -u system it hangs on perl. SPecifically, it does this for about 500000 lines:

ks_03_t.c:xxxxx syntax error at @ token
stray '\27' in program
stray '\261' in program
stray '\300' in program
2442: warning: null character(s) ignored

the xxxxx are the lines, it starts a 1 and goes all the way up to 28,000 some doing the exact same thing before finally croaking. Like I said, plain vanilla emerge -u system with default USE flags. If you additional info or want a full bug report let me know.

Since I seem to be having so many darn problems with the 1.4 install, you recommend I just try the RC of the 2004.1?
bbd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After numerous failures, I'm just doing a emerge system, instead of an upgrade, This seems to be working just fine and dandy.
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the order in which things get emerged can be different betweeen emerge -u foo and emerge foo. If there is an upgrade, emerge foo will still upgrade, whether it's a package or system/world, but the way the dependencies get calculated are different.

Let us know how you make out.
spinfire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbd wrote:

ks_03_t.c:xxxxx syntax error at @ token
stray '\27' in program
stray '\261' in program
stray '\300' in program
2442: warning: null character(s) ignored

the xxxxx are the lines, it starts a 1 and goes all the way up to 28,000 some doing the exact same thing before finally croaking. Like I said, plain vanilla emerge -u system with default USE flags. If you additional info or want a full bug report let me know.

I am having this exact problem during stage2 of the install on a SparcStation 5 (Yeah, I'm crazy). Can you fill me in with details and whether or not you came up with a solution for this problem? Thank you so much.
spinfire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to work around this by waiting until the perl makefile had run enc2xs (watch the output) to create the ks_03_t.c file and then suspending the emerge process with ctrl-z. I then editted the ks_03_t.c file manually (under /var/tmp/portage/), removed the blank lines at the end, and readded them. After saving the files I typed "fg" to resume the compile, and gcc successfully compiled the file.
thedarave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: perl header problem ks_03_t.c file Encode directory sparc Reply with quote

Apologize for the subject line, giving Quick Search something to key off of.

The following needs to be done after configure is done to get it to work on my SS20:

cd /var/tmp/portage/perl-5.8.2-r1/work/perl-5.8.2/ext/Encode
cp Encode/encode.h Byte/
cp Encode/encode.h CN/
cp Encode/encode.h EBCDIC/
cp Encode/encode.h JP/
cp Encode/encode.h KR/
cp Encode/encode.h Symbol/
cp Encode/encode.h TW/
cp Encode/encode.h Unicode/
cp Encode/encode.h t/
cp Encode/encode.h ucm/

If someone better with package mods can include the ext/Encode directory in the includes list, that'd take care of this work around. (*COUGH* PACKAGE MAINTAINER! *COUGH*)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: