Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo's Greatest Features?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is by far the best Gentoo feature?
Broad Arhitecture (support for x86, Alpha, MIPS, PPC, UltraSparc, etc...)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
LiveCD installation (available for any of these architectures)
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Bleeding Edge Technolody (VERY LATEST of everything from KDE/Gnome to GNU tar)
20%
 20%  [ 37 ]
Tweakability - can make it so fast it goes *whoosh*
3%
 3%  [ 7 ]
Customization Ability - if you don't want it, it's not installed
45%
 45%  [ 83 ]
Hardware and Driver Support beyond other distros
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Kick A$$ init system
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
Simplicity ("emerge world" and you're all up-to-date)
27%
 27%  [ 50 ]
Total Votes : 183

POLAX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Gentoo's Greatest Features? Reply with quote

Gentoo has many features...one common myth is that people run Gentoo mainly for the performance gains over other distro's. I would like to confirm or deny this...
Aurora
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo's Greatest Features? Reply with quote

POLAX wrote:
Gentoo has many features...one common myth is that people run Gentoo mainly for the performance gains over other distro's. I would like to confirm or deny this...

The preformance gain is small enough to not really be a huge factor in most people's decision to use Gentoo over, say, Arch (which is a similar meta distro but uses binaries).

I'd say that my two favorite "features" about Gentoo is the fact that it's completely customizable (you don't have anything cluttering your drive that you don't want installed), and Portage (an *amazing* tool).

:D If I had to pick one...well...I dunno. :) They're tied.
bone
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best feature of Gentoo, is its ability to be simple when upgrading packages/installed components. This feature is what I loved about FreeBSD and what made me switch from being an 8 year Slackware user to Gentoo.
kaji
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would have to say "Customization Ability", however i would have voted for its "involving" install and setup. i have learned more about linux and my computer in general (not to mention who supports linux and who does not). this has been by far the most important feature of gentoo for me. thank you gentoo developers and users for making a distro that is educatonal as it is useful. :D

Painkiller
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emergeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

That is the best...Simply Emerge ultra Kick Ass
Simplicity ("emerge world" and you're all up-to-date)

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too...many...options...all...good...must..pick...more..than...one

I chose customizibility. One option that should be there is ease of getting involved. That's a good one as well.
POLAX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Can't modify polls...that would fudge the results Reply with quote

steel300 wrote:
One option that should be there is ease of getting involved.

Good point...but alas I cannot modify a poll once it's begun :wink:
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched from Debian to Gentoo because of "Bleeding Edge Technolody".. e.g, Debian/unstable was still lacking a lot of bleeding edge stuff when I switched out (DAMN potato freeze)

Now I use it mostly because of "Customization Ability".. I hardly emerge world anymore. I need a system that just works(tm)..

That is one of the reasons I would have long abadoned Gentoo.. however, there is a lot of main moving to a different Distro, so I don't do it. That and my current installation does just work(tm)
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I am a ex-windows user for 10 years, so when I first switched to linux and installed Fedora, I chose the "everything" install just to make sure it works. From what I keep reading (I'm still in the process of installing it) I like the fact that if I don't want/need package XYZ, I can completely disregard it, and just never install/emerge it.
nbensa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You insensiteve clod!!!
Missing option: All of the above.
Gaenya
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nbensa wrote:
You insensiteve clod!!!
Missing option: All of the above.

I totally agree, but i votes customizibility, thats why i tried gentoo
DarrenM
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed an option: This forum. I'm sure it's a fairly big factor in Gentoo's success. Mailing lists suck and so does the spam you get after using them.

My vote is for package management, packages being up to date and this forum/community.

I also like it because it's a rolling/persistant package tree rather than one based on releases like redhat and mandrake which require you to burn new cd's in order to upgrade. I switched to debian because of that and I switched to gentoo from debian for the up to date package tree.
Psych0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all of the above ;)

The LiveCD is cool, installing from that was an experience. It's not half as tough as people make it out to be...
Bleeding edge is good, that's why I left Debian.
Customizability, love that. You don't need eight text editors and five or six ftp clients!
Tweakability is cool, stage1 optimized for Athlon-XP kicks a$$
Newer video drivers and stuff are always good.
Love the init system, it makes sense! Yeah baby!

But my vote, a real struggle against customizability was simplicity. eeeeemerge -upD system
Now that makes my life so much simpler :D
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerge sync, and portage, and keeping up-to-date with the latest source packages. A real pleasure to use once you get Gentoo installed- and it really wasn't that hard installing, once I figured out how to do it on dialup.

wrc1944
Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.26-r3, gcc-7.2.0- kernel-4.14.1 gentoo USE=experimental
KristyX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo's Greatest Features? Reply with quote

Aurora wrote:

I'd say that my two favorite "features" about Gentoo is the fact that it's completely customizable (you don't have anything cluttering your drive that you don't want installed), and Portage (an *amazing* tool).

:D If I had to pick one...well...I dunno. :) They're tied.

I have to agree. Customization & Simplicity. I wouldn't be able to pick only one but had to cast my vote so I chose Simplicity :)

Last edited by KristyX on Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
chefakito
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have said the community, but that isn't an option. :P

that being said, once you get past the initial learning curve, Gentoo's simplicity (emerge/init system), without sacrificing customization and tweakability is it's greatest asset. I was (maybe still am) a complete noob, but sticking with gentoo allowed me to bring a whole range of new skills to my Linux knowledge. I'm no longer afraid to break things, because, I'm confident enough to fix with I broke (that and regular backups). :)
BoZ
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the combination of a few options you mentioned.... I take portage as the greatest of great features :)
mem7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain and simple the Portage package system. Its what made me keep Linux as my main OS, and not just some hobby.
rfujimoto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I could live without compiling... If Gentoo were to go binary only with portage, I wouldn't mind.

The init system is nice, but I was doing fine before. New packages are nice as well but I don't run unstable, so by the time I have installed something new, so has every other distro user. I'm x86 so arch doesn't matter. What is tweakability? I can tweak any distro... I think. I ain't a console purist, I'll use a gui if one is provided so livecd and all that didn't matter.

Portage is the only reason I use it. After a fresh install, type emerge kde, and all of a sudden you see 100+ dependancies install for you. I don't have time to figure out all those dependancies... that's what a computer is for. Portage does all the grunt work, I just continue doing whatever it was I was doing...

I voted for simplicity because despite the reputation, gentoo is the easiest distro I have ever used, installed and maintained.

There was a saying going around a while ago, "Came for the hype, stayed for portage." ... or something to that effect. That's basically my thoughts on Gentoo's Greatest Feature :)
Spawn of Lovechild
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously how can anyone pass by the ebuild format without mention - it opens up package maintainership to everyone, not the select few who know how to weild debs or rpms.
The eclass based approach makes installing apps correctly really easy.

But the thing that really makes Gentoo nice is the sheer amount of software available with a uniform installation process.
Arker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private messaging people with nothing but a link to your poll in the message couldn't be any more annoying POLAX.

~djc
GenKiller
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arker wrote:
Private messaging people with nothing but a link to your poll in the message couldn't be any more annoying POLAX.

Didn't think I was the only one who was sent that ... agreed, it is very annoying
POLAX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Just let me know Reply with quote

Arker wrote:

I'll remember to send you a link to the latest Technet issue next time 8)
I was just trying to give this poll a head-start and thought people might appreciate the invite and enjoy the poll. I sent each invitation personally (i.e. no bots or screen-scrapers) so I don't see what the problem is...

Seriously, I plan to have one of these polls each month for fun. If you don't enjoy polls and don't want to participate just send a flame(TM) reply to my mailbox and I'll skip you for the rest.
khiloa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for simplicity but customization and tweakability are both very cool too. Too bad you can't give three or four votes. :?

but yes PMing people like you have done is very annoying and could possibly get you out of here in a hurry :wink:
Registered Linux user #398059!

Last edited by khiloa on Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
sapphirecat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Just let me know Reply with quote

POLAX wrote:
Arker wrote:

I was just trying to give this poll a head-start and thought people might appreciate the invite and enjoy the poll. I sent each invitation personally (i.e. no bots or screen-scrapers) so I don't see what the problem is...

I didn't get an "invite" so I know nothing more than what other people have represented here, but it sounds dangerously close to spam. Most people don't appreciate random messages pushing stuff without any explanation of what the stuff is or why it may be interesting. Especially if they didn't opt in.

Remember, patience is a virtue. If it's interesting enough, people will vote when they see the thread....
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: