Setting local time / fixing so cmos clock is not modified
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Locke355
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 10:01 am    Post subject: Setting local time / fixing so cmos clock is not modified Reply with quote

I *think* this could fit into installing gentoo, since when you do you set your local time. Ever since i moved to the east coast, i changed my local time from PST to EST. I have tried many other timezones, and a handfull of commands to try and get the linux clock to be in sync with the hardware (cmos) clock.

However, I cannot fix the problem. Everytime i go from windows to linux, my hardware clock gets offset to some new time. How can i configure linux to not set the hardware clock, but only set the linux clock?

Thanks for reading, hope it was clear

Locke355
Ard Righ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have a dual-boot between Win2K and Gentoo, and since I am using Daylight savings time here in New Zealand, I set up Gentoo to use the "local" setting for timezones in the rc.conf file.

Code:
nano -w /etc/rc.conf

In that file, where you set your keymaps, and what login manager you want to use (gdm/kdm/xdm etc), there is a line for time settings.

Remove the "UTC" setting, and replace it with "local"

That way when Gentoo boots, it will just use the value in the BIOS, and not modify it.

Then you can run the 'date' command to set the time and date. 'date' has a format of 'MMDDhhmm' hhmm in 24 hour format

Code:
date 09212215

Once you have set the 'date', you can run

Code:
/sbin/hwclock -systohc

That will sync your linux date you just set to be the same as the time in the BIOS, which Windows will read.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: