Overclocking software?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:13 pm    Post subject: Overclocking software? Reply with quote

I'm searching to find a software tool that allows me to change the Front Side Bus without having to reboot (therefore, changing FSB from within the BIOS is not an option).
There are plenty of those around for Windows (e.g. softFSB), but I can't find any for linux. Any ideas?
yokem55
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm.....well, you might try hacking around with /dev/nvram (I think that's the direct bios configuration interface; I think with that you can change bios settings on the fly like in h.Oda's WPCRedit for windows), but I'm thinking that there isn't any easy software to do it for you.
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yokem55,
with pciutils you can do pretty much the same things you can do with wpcredit. Only, one cannot change the FSB speed.

One must be able to "talk" to the motherboards PLL-chip, presumably via the i2c interface (but I don't have a clue how).
It's just surprising that there are so many Win-programs that can easily perform this little trick, and that I cannot find any for linux.
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlterEgo what was the nessesity to alter it by software ?? if it's going to break when overclocked to far your going to have to reboot anyhow and at least by doing it in the bios or hardware you have a sure fire method of resetting the fsb without software screwing it up on reboot ...
Unless of course you have a previous known limit for your combo ..
not trying to offend , I have just had bad experiences with software driven o/c utils resetting fsb on reboot , and I prefer to know I can manually set it in 30 seconds rather than spending 10 minutes removing software with a mind of it's own :D
Just my 2 cents

Cheers
Dale.
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swishy wrote:
AlterEgo what was the nessesity to alter it by software ??

I just want those extra few FPS when playing a game, and not have any potential extra trouble when compiling stuff, having to worry about excess heat etc.
In Windows, I also only used the soft-OC-ing when needed. And I must say, without any troubles (if you know your limits).

But most of all, I was amazed by the fact that OC-software of this kind does not seem to have a linux counterpart.
That really made me curious :)
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense , I hadnt thought about that :)

your quite right however , most o/c gives no troubles once you know the limits of your gear , I just personally wouldnt use it to find the limits :)

It is weird theres not much available as far as overclocking software goes in linux I did a google search before and couldnt find even one.... :roll:

Cheers
Dale.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: