gentoo on alpha
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goanuj
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: gentoo on alpha Reply with quote

where can one even pick up an alpha????

I am working at a Math Dept and the prof was very interesetd in running some simulations using LINUX, but on an Alpha architecture.
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, as far as i know, samsung is still producing alphas, and for sure you can get some machines from ebay.com ... i even read something about samsung is about to release a new alpha-cpu and a new dual alpha board ...
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very disappointed when Compaq bought DEC... like there was any question that the Alpha was going to be discontinued. I am surprised they didn't kill it sooner though.

I remember going to a computer show... saw an Aplpha system running linux... *drool*
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just checked the samsung electronics site again and it seems they also terminated their development on the alphas ... damn :(
wwoods
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microway claims to still sell Alpha workstations and servers. HP is also still selling Alphastations under the Compaq brand: http://www.compaq.com/alphaserver/workstations.html

In fact, they (I guess I should say "We" as an HP employee) advertise the ES45 as being "Linux-Ready" - a lot of effort was spent making sure Linux runs, and runs well, on this machine.

Hope that helps..
jtnye
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Just picked up an Alpha from eBay. Reply with quote

Complete system minus monitor and mouse/keyboard.
It's a 164LX board with a 21164 533MHz Alpha, 256MB RAM, SCSI hard drive, NIC, etc.

All for $234.01 shipped to my door. =)
Superdog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 10:35 am    Post subject: University... Reply with quote

My university had some real old ones in the physics department. (They had 8 - 10 new ones as well, but wouldn't give them to me... :-( )

So my advice would be to ask at your physics dept (Got one ?), they really needed those machines some years ago !

If you can't find any, I guess you could ask someone in here for an account to calculate some stuff. If I ever get my alpha workin', it won't do too much for me...
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwoods wrote:
HP is also still selling Alphastations under the Compaq brand: http://www.compaq.com/alphaserver/workstations.html
*snaps fingers* A shame they aren't displaying the prices on the web. Sun has a $9M server listed.
flufff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: gentoo on alpha Reply with quote

goanuj wrote:
where can one even pick up an alpha????

I am working at a Math Dept and the prof was very interesetd in running some simulations using LINUX, but on an Alpha architecture.

Okay, late reply but I'll do it anyway. I've got five DEC Alphas R3300, 500 Mhz, 1 gb ram, 2 x 10 gb scsi and 2 x 100 mb nics. Since I don't need all of them, at least two of them are for sale. Problem is that they're heavy and hard to transport but is anyone dying for an Alpha-processor I'd probarly be able to fix things. :)

/fluff
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: