Linux on TechTV
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KungFuHamster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 3:51 pm    Post subject: Linux on TechTV Reply with quote

think it's time that TechTV devoted at least ONE episode of whether Call for Help or The Screen Savers to Linux. Our favorite OS has been getting more and more attention from the media as Microsoft tries to enforce its draconian liscensing policies on the average home-user and the multi-billion dollar corporations alike.

One of the main reasons why Linux has not grown to its full potential is the simple fact ath a large number or people simply don't know it exists. If one of the aforementioned shows told people about it, I'm sure its popularity would skyrocket. We've already seen a few companies taking a crack at helping to convert Windows users. TransGaming, Lycoris, and recently Sun have stepped up to the OS plate.

The Age of the Penguin is upon us. We must act!

I've set up an online petition at: http://www.petitiononline.com/04j7ergb/petition.htm
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I am an avid viewer of TechTV although lately I have not spent as much time watching.

When I first read your post, I was thinking that TechTV does do quite a bit of Linux stuff. In fact that is how I got hooked on Linux in the first place, but I was thinking about your post I realized what you are saying. It would be great if they had a help show for Linux only. They have been making improvements with their Linux segments by having Chris DiBona from Slashdot come in every so often to show how you can do the same things in Linux as in Windows. Those segments are enjoyable but I have found that I am getting so much better at Linux that some of the segments are not new to me at all. And they do have a Linux week sometime during the year.

One of the main problems that I can see is the fact that the currents hosts of the show dont know Linux very well so they would have to get someone else to cover the show.

Probably another reason is that so many of their viewers cant do Windows all that well so good luck trying to get them to convert to Linux.

It is a long road but we'll get there.

Cat
dn1282
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickpea wrote:

One of the main problems that I can see is the fact that the currents hosts of the show dont know Linux very well so they would have to get someone else to cover the show.

Well, I doubt the hosts of Screensavers and Call for help are any good with windows either so you can forget linux. I mean, have you been watching their "tips" lately? And they act like the stupid Remote desktop connection thing in XP is a work of God (the hosts from Screensavers do). They had trouble zipping a file with winzip a few days ago. I mean come on, who the heck doesn't know how to drag and drop after you create a new archive???
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, I doubt the hosts of Screensavers and Call for help are any good with windows either so you can forget linux. I mean, have you been watching their "tips" lately?

True, which is probably why I have not watched lately, but you have to consider that a majority of their audience are not very experienced with computers especially those on Call for Help.
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been very disappointed by TechTV lately. Maybe I've changed. I find that TechTV covers a lot of things but does little more than scratch the surface. I would like a couple of shows on TechTV that actually go in-depth with the technology behind something or address the hard-hitting topics of the technology world. Maybe this is too much to ask from today's television. There are very few intellectually stimulating programs out there (both when it comes to knowledge and to humor). Oh yeah, I'd also like an hour-long show on TechTV that comes on about 3 in the morning where all they do is read kernel source voiced over winamp-visualization-style eyecandy.
KungFuHamster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dn1282 wrote:
Chickpea wrote:

Well, I doubt the hosts of Screensavers and Call for help are any good with windows either so you can forget linux. I mean, have you been watching their "tips" lately? And they act like the stupid Remote desktop connection thing in XP is a work of God (the hosts from Screensavers do). They had trouble zipping a file with winzip a few days ago. I mean come on, who the heck doesn't know how to drag and drop after you create a new archive???

Actually, Chris Pirillo is a SuSE user, so he could help a great deal. And I think a few of the behind the scenes people know a bit about it as well; I noticed a few weeks ago they were doing a review of VirtualPC and used to to boot both Windows and Linun, so a few people know what they're doing.
dn1282
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KungFuHamster wrote:
dn1282 wrote:
Chickpea wrote:

Actually, Chris Pirillo is a SuSE user, so he could help a great deal. And I think a few of the behind the scenes people know a bit about it as well; I noticed a few weeks ago they were doing a review of VirtualPC and used to to boot both Windows and Linun, so a few people know what they're doing.

yeah...of course there are knowledgeable people at TechTV...they exist at every company. But the current hosts of the show aren't that knowledgeable. And besides, even if they were, I think TechTV's corporate people are trying to make their views happy, and most of their viewers right now are n00bs. So even if there are linux masters working for TechTV...I doubt they'd get a chance to show their stuff.

What ever happened to Zdnet TV. It was kinda like TechTV. I used to get zdnet tv with att digital cable but now i only get techtv with direct Tv.
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What ever happened to Zdnet TV. It was kinda like TechTV. I used to get zdnet tv with att digital cable but now i only get techtv with direct Tv

It is the same. It was purchased by Vulcan Ventures (Paul Allen company) and after a few months they changed the name to reflect that they want to incorporate all new technologies not just computers.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On TechTV's new show they show you how to do everything you could dream of on a PC. Using linux.
They could call it: "Windows sucks!"
And then show everyone out there that by typing
Code:
 emerge abiword
they can use a word processor, for free, and then they type
Code:
 emerge ut2003-demo
and they can frag all those silly windoze users. And that you know, how many viruses come out that affect linux again? I forgot.
And then the last 5 minutes could be how to make you fav window manager, different one every day of month, look really cool, themes and such.
I would watch it.

Personally I think TechTV sucks, when it was ZDtv, it was cool and I used to watch it all the time, but now it is just annoying.

Andrew
karmakillernz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, if they start covering Linux then thousands of new users will be turning to them for help. And with Linux, as you all probably know, there can be 100 different causes for any 1 problem. With Windows at least most problems are pretty basic (ie: I lost my MS Word icon, how do I get it back?).

I just doubt they'd have the knowledge and/or resources to deal with it. :)
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmakillernz wrote:
Remember, if they start covering Linux then thousands of new users will be turning to them for help. And with Linux, as you all probably know, there can be 100 different causes for any 1 problem. With Windows at least most problems are pretty basic (ie: I lost my MS Word icon, how do I get it back?).

I just doubt they'd have the knowledge and/or resources to deal with it. :)

I would beg to differ, I think that for any problem with any piece of software that there can be 100 different ways that something could go wrong.
In windows, you have the registry. Have you ever talked with someone that has actually learned to mod the registry competently? I can change most files in /etc and know what I am doing because there are examples given in most of them, or it is pretty straigt forward. I don't have a clue how to deal with the windows registry.
Just my $0.02 cause I don't like M$
karmakillernz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squanto wrote:

I would beg to differ, I think that for any problem with any piece of software that there can be 100 different ways that something could go wrong.
In windows, you have the registry. Have you ever talked with someone that has actually learned to mod the registry competently? I can change most files in /etc and know what I am doing because there are examples given in most of them, or it is pretty straigt forward. I don't have a clue how to deal with the windows registry.

Okay I agree with most of that. What I was meaning was that the majority of people who watch TechTV are new computer users - at least that's who they're targetting. And usually, the questions that get asked ARE very basic. They don't really try a lot of the more so called "advanced" things and as such, don't have as many problems.

If they started targetting Linux users, or trying to convert some, then it brings a whole new catagory of support questions etc. I don't think they have the time or probably knowledge.

Now, I wont go too much into this because it could easily turn into a Windows vs Linux ease of use thread, but do you get what I'm trying to say? :)
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmakillernz wrote:
squanto wrote:

Okay I agree with most of that. What I was meaning was that the majority of people who watch TechTV are new computer users - at least that's who they're targetting. And usually, the questions that get asked ARE very basic. They don't really try a lot of the more so called "advanced" things and as such, don't have as many problems.

If they started targetting Linux users, or trying to convert some, then it brings a whole new catagory of support questions etc. I don't think they have the time or probably knowledge.

Now, I wont go too much into this because it could easily turn into a Windows vs Linux ease of use thread, but do you get what I'm trying to say? :)

Yes.

This is a Linux forum... I think Linux would win. :twisted:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: