some newbie questions bout gentoo from a debian geek :D
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fejf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:41 am    Post subject: some newbie questions bout gentoo from a debian geek :D Reply with quote

hi,
some years ago i switched from suse to debian - now i consider a switch from debian to gentoo. atm i installed gentoo in a vmware-box for testing pruposes and now there are a few questions:
1) what's the purpose of MARKED packages... ?!
2) is there sth. like stable/unstable/testing like in debian ?
3) from what i got till now there are not so many packages in the portage-tree (i mean it's no prob for me to leech the tarbals and compile them on my own but emerge is kinda easier ;) - so my question is if there are only few people atm to get more packages in (i know that such stuff takes much spare time of many guys) or is it kinda difficult to do it ?
4) is there sth. like a option to pass arguments to configure via emerge ? e.g. if i want to install mc without gpm support todo sth. like `emerge --configure-with "--without-gpm --with-xterm" mc` (i know about use gpm - but if what i want is to have gpm in the make.globals, but to only compile mc without...) ?
Florian E.J. Fruth
de4d
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) i think masked packages are masked because they
- are not needed (other packages do the same, but better) e.g. opera vs. opera-static
- conflict with others (mesaGL is masked for any reason, maybe, cuz opengl is installed)
- are absolutely unstable or dont work (dont know exactly)
2) no (dont know about it...). but you can select a 'package version' by linking /etc/make.profile to the wanted directory.
3) shouldnt be _that_ complicated. read thru an .ebuild file. imho those guys have done good work in making stuff easy.
4) http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml#doc_chap3_sect9

have fun...[/u][/url]
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: some newbie questions bout gentoo from a debian geek :D Reply with quote

I was in exactly your position a few months ago, except I came to Debian from Slackware.
fejf wrote:
1) what's the purpose of MARKED packages... ?!

May I assume you mean "masked" packages? If so, think of "sid". They're things that some people have had problems with, or have not yet had adequate testing. Not recommended for everyday use, but if anyone wants to test or use them, they can.

Quote:
2) is there sth. like stable/unstable/testing like in debian ?

Not yet, although I have read interviews with project leader Daniel Robbins that indicates that this is a goal at some point.

Quote:
3) from what i got till now there are not so many packages in the portage-tree [...] is it kinda difficult to do it ?

On balance, it's somewhat easier, in my experience, than making .deb packages. Documentation is available at http://gentoo.org, specifically in http://gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-howto.xml. With the exception of times like now, when there is a temporary freeze on new ebuilds because of the impending 1.4 release, I have found Gentoo to be *incredibly* more responsive with submissions of new ebuilds that Debian. I have gotten things into the Portage tree within 48 hours of submission, when my luck has been good.

Quote:
4) is there sth. like a option to pass arguments to configure via emerge ?

As you note below, USE flags are the Gentoo way of doing this in the general case.

Quote:
e.g. if i want to install mc without gpm support todo sth. like `emerge --configure-with "--without-gpm --with-xterm" mc` (i know about use gpm - but if what i want is to have gpm in the make.globals, but to only compile mc without...) ?

There are three layers of customization of USE flags. Layer A is use.defaults, which you probably don't want to edit. Layer B is your make.conf, where you can override things from use.defaults on a per-host basis, to be effective for all of your software. Layer C is USE overrides you specify on the command line. In your example, you would want something like:
Code:
# USE="-gpm" emerge mc

fejf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx a lot =)
fejf
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: