HPPA on 9000/819/K200 segfault with chroot /mnt/gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bealpd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: HPPA on 9000/819/K200 segfault with chroot /mnt/gentoo Reply with quote

Hello All,

I've decided to give the whole linux on a hppa another try. I did this prior with the old pateam, before any release existed for the HPPA architecture, but of course running linux then was a whole other story. Anyhow, I've pulled out my old K200, and was looking around for a distro to try on it. I tried the Debian CD's, but those wouldn't boot. Those failed with a Kernel Fault as soon as the MUX was initialized. I then tried the Gentoo Cd and it got further, but still got a little confused with the MUX also. So, I've removed the MUX card, and Gentoo boots like a dream! Ran a modprobe lasi_82596, and the ethernet card came right up without a hitch. I was able to partition the 2 disks, and extract the stage3 tarball, extract the portage and mount proc under /mnt/gentoo/proc, but then I ran into a problem.

During the setup where you are to enter the CHROOT enviroment through "chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash" the command fails and just returns a simple "Segmentation Fault" I tried it without the /bin/bash, but same result. I can however just execute "chroot -help" and it returns the help info. It seems like I once found something about chroot and seg fault, but I don't remeber where it was now.

I downloaded the HPPA 2005.1 ISO image from http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/hppa/2005.1/installcd/, and I'm using the install-hppa-minimal-2005.1.iso image. I'm also using stage3-hppa2.0-2005.1.tar.bz2 from the same site, and the portaged http://gentoo.osuosl.org/snapshots/portage-20051114.tar.bz2. However, I dont think this is an issue with the stage3 or the portage, but the actual boot CD. I have not tried the universal CD as it is supposed to be the same as minimul plus a stage 3 tarball.

Anyone else seen this segmentation fault issue while trying to enter the chroot enviroment?

Thanks in Advance...
bealpd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Problem Fixed! Reply with quote

It looks as though the 9000/819/K200 system I am using doesn't like the hppa2.0 system, so I figured I'd try the hppa1.1 system. No segfault when I enter the chroot enviroment. On to the rest of the installation!
HPRichard
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The K200 sports a/multiple PA7200 CPU(s) which is/are only a 32bit capable (and hence are hppa1.1). hppa2.0 is only for PA8000 and above.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: