help me with distcc?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arifmamdani
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:10 am    Post subject: help me with distcc? Reply with quote

Hey all,
I'm in the process of building 1.4 on a Pentium 100 w/40MB of RAM, a box that I'm not affectionately referring to as mini-me.

Mini-me has successfully been installed from a stage 3 tarball (there was no way I was gonna bootstrap from a stage one with a Pentium 100), we've built the kernel, built X and openssh, and have spent the last 24+ hours building mozilla (It's still building as I type this). Incidentally, this machine is for my partner, and will be running IceWM, mozilla, OpenOffice, and I'll be using the rox filer in its desktop incarnation with three icons: "Use the Internet," "Word Processing," and "Exit." To be honest, I'm not even sure how well this is gonna run, but she needs a machine, and we don't have cash to buy anything with more juice.

So, anyway, once the mozilla saga has completed, I'd love to try using distcc ([url]distcc.samba.org[/url]) to try to speed up the compiling process. I've got a P3 500 and an Athlon 800 just waiting to help out, but I'm getting a bit stuck where it actually comes to telling Gentoo to use distcc for all compiling.

I've gone over the distcc docs, and it seems to me that as long as my CFLAGS are set in make.conf, I don't need to worry about doing anything else as far as cross-compiling is concerned since the make settings should be passed to the compiler, right? The problem I've hit is how to tell Gentoo to use distcc instead of gcc.

Sure, I could build everything on the Athlon, but now that I've started on mini-me, I'd like to finish there, even if it's with a little help... so does anyone know how to get this working?

thanks
felysium
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=16455&highlight=distcc
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the thread mentioned above, I'd like to note, that in your case, you'll probably get the best performance by not including "localhost" in the list of DISTCC_HOSTS. It's a lot slower than the other volunteer machines, so it'll have plenty of work to do coordinating the machines, preprocessing and linking.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: