Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Enterprise Acceptance
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Gentoo ever be accepted as a supportable distribution in the enterprise?
Yes
41%
 41%  [ 40 ]
No
58%
 58%  [ 57 ]
Total Votes : 97

sanman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Enterprise Acceptance Reply with quote

Will Gentoo be accepted as a supportable distribution in the enterprise?

i.e. Not currently supported by EMC, Veritas, Oracle etc.

Explain your vote.

Don't flame me. :-)

Last edited by sanman on Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I answered 'Yes', but not because I think it will in portage's current form, but because 'ever' would be an absolute, portage could transform to be an enterprise class package manager, so I couldn't answer 'No' because your question was ill-defined.
sanman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm not convinced it is ill defined.

IMHO having a 'moving target' distribution where there is an almost infinite way of configuring or fine tuning a system makes supporting it tricky. Don't get me wrong, Gentoo is great.

Out of interest, what features would turn Portage into an enterprise package manager?
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question doesn't have much meaning. There's nothing to stop anyone who knows the root password (or has physical access to the machine) from "tweaking" any distro so that it makes e.g. Oracle unstable. Just change one of the libs that Oracle depends on.

Gentoo is one of the most unlikely distros to get "certified" for anything, because of our notorious ricer nature.
sanman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok perhaps I wasn't clear, apologies.

Say for example I wanted to use Gentoo at work and connect it up to our SAN. I couldn't use any EMC product (Powerpath, Networker, SYMCLI) and expect to get support, some just would not work without dicking with the packages. Likewise with VxVM/VxFS even If I could get it to install on a server it would not get supported.

By support I mean help setting it up, or support in fixing a bug (which with EMC software it likely!)

Most enterprises see Binary RPM based distros as the way forward. I see Gentoo as great for HPC, Power Computing or perhaps as a base. Gentoo is good as a server distro until you want to interact with a vendors app.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanman,

I voted yes, even though I think it is unlikely - its still possible.
Gentoo would need to introduce another ACCEPT_KEYWORDS and have it correspond to a defined set of packages at fixed versions.
Both stable and testing are moving targets.
I don't see it happening any time soon because its not what development or Gentoo is about.

Gentoo is a meta-distribution. It allows you to build your own distro the way you like. Thats the exact opposite of whats needed in an Enterprise, where stability and certification is valued above all else.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
sanman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neddy,

Thanks for your comments. I have used Gentoo for a bit, perhaps I had lost sight of the fundamental belief behind it.

Does anyone feel that by not having an 'Enterprise' software branch the growth of the distribution will suffer, and Gentoo will remain as a power-user/hobbyist distro (not that there is anything wrong with that)?

Cheers.

Sanman
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanman wrote:
Gentoo will remain as a power-user/hobbyist distro

Yep. We Gentoo users have enough knowledge and tweaking ability to be dangerous - we're a support department's worst nightmare :twisted:

There is of course a difference between running an app reliably, and having "official support" for it. What does "support" really provide anyway, and how much does it cost. I'm quite capable of saying, "Have you tried switching it off and on again" myself :)

The Gentoo Server Project got nowhere, because if you want a reliable server, use e.g. Debian - the solution to the problem of running a Linux server already exists.
sanman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulBredbury wrote:
sanman wrote:
Gentoo will remain as a power-user/hobbyist distro

Yep. We Gentoo users have enough knowledge and tweaking ability to be dangerous - we're a support department's worst nightmare :twisted:

LOL

Don't get me wrong, I use Gentoo as my desktop distro and prefer it to the bloat of the alternatives. I even have a couple of Gentoo boxes setup at work as simple NAS heads, and an iSCSI gateway at home in my lab. Gentoo is the best at what is does.

The desirability of support depends on the nature of the business. For example public sector generally go for support. Small businesses on the other hand may not see this as a big thing and keep it internal.

Off topic. I'm thinking of creating some unofficial ebuilds for emc apps. Would anyone be interested?

Cheers,

sanman
jabol
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think it is supportable and very well so. It seems to me that major vendors are just to lazy to have a set of packages for each distribution out there...
sanman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jabol wrote:
Well, I think it is supportable and very well so. It seems to me that major vendors are just to lazy to have a set of packages for each distribution out there...

What all 360 odd distributions? ;-)
sanman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Gentoo Server Project got nowhere, because if you want a reliable server, use e.g. Debian - the solution to the problem of running a Linux server already exists.

It's not a question of reliability it's about commercial acceptance, and with that comes support. Debian is still not widely supported for non-OSS server enterprise apps. Perhaps this will change with Ubuntu. How many enterprise software vendors such as EMC ship debian packages. It is almost a dead cert that if a company states they support Linux you will find an rpm for SuSE/Novell or RHEL.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell the vendors to play ball with opensource, I don't see why we should bend to their will and place limitations on choice. Of course there's always the choice of telling them where to stick their over priced licenses and use a free/open version of what they're offering. They can still protect their IP with whatever license restrictions they want, plus various laws, throwing out binary-only programs on UNIX causes no end of problems.

As for Debian being figurehead for a stable server OS... aghm.
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"aghm" is not a sensible counter-argument. Suggest an alternative distro, or an alternative explanation as to why the Gentoo Server Project got nowhere.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidanJT wrote:
Tell the vendors to play ball with opensource, I don't see why we should bend to their will and place limitations on choice. Of course there's always the choice of telling them where to stick their over priced licenses and use a free/open version of what they're offering. They can still protect their IP with whatever license restrictions they want, plus various laws, throwing out binary-only programs on UNIX causes no end of problems.

As for Debian being figurehead for a stable server OS... aghm.

I've not used debian (started with RH5 and 6, then Mandrake for years, before Gentoo) so I can't comment on it, tho I know lots of the #bash people swear by it (just not Ubuntu ;) I totally agree with your statements re proprietary vendors though. There really isn't a business case for using proprietary software any more imo, apart from maybe Oracle (I still prefer postgres, but Ora is nice.) Let's face it, all the big corporates switched their backends in 2001 (after the disastrous telecoms results) if not before. A Linux desktop nowadays does more than enough for any power user.

Windows has only kept in there because of executive mindshare (and illegal business practices imo.) Bottom dollar will mitigate that eventually.

PaulBredbury wrote:
We Gentoo users have enough knowledge and tweaking ability to be dangerous - we're a support department's worst nightmare

Well I have to support Gentoo users, and TBH I much prefer it. There's only a couple with much knowledge, but even with people who don't know much, it's so much easier to say ``edit this file" and as soon as they see the lovely comments and the simple config, it's like a light switches on. Since it's Linux, there are much less security issues, and since it's Gentoo the layout is normally intuitive. If I have to go to their desk, I make sure they see which stuff I am editing and how (if it's a user app.) OFC most of the time, it's just a case of telling them which bit of KControl they need to look at.. ;P

In terms of enterprise, the frozen tree project is what needs to get restarted. Chris Gianelloni was talking about it last year, but from looking at that project page, it seems there aren't many people involved. So if you're interested, and have more than 2 hours a week to spend on this, log into #gentoo-server and start helping with testing, or anything else you can do, so that they can start to focus on that sort of stuff.

We hang out in #friendly-coders and would willingly help out with code problems. (The people who started it met in #gentoo and #gentoo-chat so if you get told it's off-topic, go to the latter as you can talk about anything in there so long as you're not obnoxious; well ok, not clearly offensive ;)
sanman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even know about the project until I created this poll. I'm up for the fozen tree/server project. It makes alot of sense to me. I can spare a couple of hours a week so I'd be glad to help.

I appreciate what you are saying, and In an ideal world yes big corporates should open up their software. But in reality very few of the big corps. are going to do it! I don't see EMC opening up their software solutions stack anytime soon - they make far too much $$$ from it. The enterprise is slowy embracing Linux both at the desktop and at the server level, but I don't see many going down the full OSS route. I've worked for three big enterprises now and It is always a mixed environment. Companies like the security of having support contracts etc.

I wish the people I support were all tech savvy. :-)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF is EMC anyhow?!
enqack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't see it being so any time soon I do believe it possible and to my surprise I did talk to a person that works within a subdivision of the University of Michigan's infrastructure department and they are going to be deploying it. I forget what exactly it was that they using it for but it's being put on a IBM server grid if my memory serves correct. ... I ended up going off on a tangent about Portage and USE flag optimizations until a co-worker of his reminded us we were not at work :lol:

Next to improvement in Portage I think the biggest hold up is official documentation lagging behind the latest packages and methods used to configure applications though a frozen tree would help in that regard.
In the realm of commercial acceptance; with more and more usage by academics organizations that boarder or cross into the concept of a standard enterprise cooperation the pure enterprise cooperations will begin to pay attention. It's one of the reasons computers have proliferated to the extent they have.

EDIT: obviously I voted yes :wink:

Last edited by enqack on Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
sanman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
WTF is EMC anyhow?!

They deal with FC & iSCSI storage and backup solutions. e.g. Symmetrix, Clariion, Centera and Legato etc.

They are the industry leader in this field, somewhat expensive but considered the 'rolls royce' of SANS
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted 'no' because it looks like the Gentoo community is still in flux, in-fighting of where it needs to go. There are a lot of the community that wants "latest and greatest at any cost" which doesn't work if it breaks backward compatibility.

Until the in-fighting stops, and the realization that some way to ensure stability (i.e. NO MORE expat issues, or a way to _clearly_ make sure that stuff like expat never happens again), they'll never choose support for Gentoo.

The versioning system needs to come back to help support (i.e., longer product cycles. Gentoo is virtually a new product every time a new ebuild comes out.)

My opinion on what makes a commercially viable solution for companies to support:

* widespread popularity (ease of installation and eye candy/user interface is part of this)
* Stable versions (not just stable versions, but backporting of bug fixes in later versions without feature backporting unless it's guaranteed not to break anything)
* limited number of possible configurations that could lead to breakage. Yes, that includes a forced version that includes CFLAGS being hard coded and must not ever change.

Sometimes two out of three are enough, but there's a reason why RedHat, SuSE, and even Debian/Ubuntu has won over Gentoo in the past as well as currently.

The ideal case is that they supply source of course, and we'll just tailor it to how we want it :) Maybe Gentoo just doesn't want to go that route, and just stay away from things that want stability...
tutaepaki
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is another important requirement before any large enterprise will deploy any OS...

A large, and established vendor to support the OS!
Running any important software without a vendors to support, (and blame!) is one of those career limiting moves which no-body wants to undertake.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I found this thread linked from this blog [yes i know referrer spam] which is linked from drobbins' blog post on why we should all jump ship to Sabayon (yeah right.)

The first one is my first post to dev m-l which made me chuckle, and it's about a frozen tree with every release (I was asking about a minimal b0rkage tree and this was already under development internally for the same purpose, but time constraints meant it wasn't happening) which would be a basic requirement for the stability an Enterprise Edition would need. I was thinking: even if the devs don't have enough time, there's no reason we couldn't start working on it based on a portage snapshot. If Gentoo are going to do it, it would need volunteer users to help out in any case, and I am sure if enough of us got together, relEng would gladly let us use the scripts mentioned (we can get em up to speed if needed) to implement the proposal. (If they don't have a team on it yet, ofc. I ain't proposing it if no-one else wants to do it.)

What does anyone else think? Presumably you care about enterprise support if you're reading this: can you put in say a couple of hours a week?
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is also another sticking point: current Gentoo devs would rather upgrade than backport. If package x version 1 has a security bug and version 2 as it fixed but breaks package y, we'll upgrade both package x and package y.

However package y also breaks something else due to its file format changes. Package z is now needed to fix problems with package y. So in comes package z.

Well, this doesn't exactly capture what I wanted to capture, but it's an internal fight of trying to be bleeding edge versus staying back and not getting paid to staying back a few versions and backporting security fixes into x version 1, so we don't have to fix package y in the first place.

I do have to say, things like kernels, the "enterprise approved" behavior does happen but the cycle time is still way too short. And of course as time goes on, the amount of effort it takes to backport gets harder and harder for that one particular person doing the backport.

The people who do have Gentoo "working" in the enterprise are either spending a lot of time chasing package y and dealing with z, or simply let package x go obsolete. Or perhaps manually fixing it. But multiply that out by the number of machines and possibility of conflicts, it grows into a hairy mess fast as it simply takes time that could be better used for other stuff.

Gentoo is now "Have it OUR/MY way or the HIGH way." Enterprise has money to throw at it for stability, and hence prefer the RedHats and SuSEs that tailor to THEIR way.
turtles
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Yes because we use Gentoo on our servers to run a enterprise. I dont now of any enterprise applications that cannot be run in Gentoo given a enterprise level budget.

Pro's
1) Gentoo support for Postgresql is top notch.
2) Apache works great.
3) Egroupware and others are also supported by Gentoo.
4)Forums
5)Moving tree
Cons:
1) http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0042.html implementation is the main thing holding Gentoo back. Once we know what will happen BEFORE we emerge, we don't mind moving with the tree.
Expat 2.0.1 without pre-warning or a way to prevent a unplanned buggy revdep-rebuild process Gentoo will remain viewed as less than optimal soloution at best.
2) Implementaion of --as-needed flags would improve ones ability to move with the tree. Seems like they are still buggy and not a priority.
3) Lack of documentation on making custom sets. I would like an emerge
Code:
-avuDN security
set for security sensitive apps that I want to update. Could be lack of reasearch on my part.
4) Enterprise Linux means people 'like making money'. There is nothing preventing someone from charging for a service like a subscription overlay is there? Why not have a division of the Gentoo foundation that offers commercial support for Gentoo enterprise deployments. Charge $90 for each support call, $300 per year for private forums support and email support.
EDIT#5 Rephrase for clarity and politeness.

Last edited by turtles on Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: