help!!! sig fault on bootstrap
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mogorman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 2:45 pm    Post subject: help!!! sig fault on bootstrap Reply with quote

hi i need help i get random sig faults when makeing bootstrap, first time it sig faulted on gcc, then did it again, and it was fine to glibcc, did it again and it is still going... i have done the generic setup not messing with anything wondering if i should edit my make.conf, i have a mp athlon at 1600mghz but i still havent got the second proccessor, i have 256mb of ecc ram and a 100 gig drive. so an ideas? thanks in advance Matt
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the complete error message? Are you overclocking your system at all?
mogorman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 10:54 pm    Post subject: no overclocking Reply with quote

not overclocked, ram might be sketchy but i doubt it, it works fine with every other thing i have built and runs every app fine. and i can get the error message but it is fairly generic, the thing i noticed in one compile was it kept comparing signed variables with unsigned... i really could use some help, i might end up crawling back to debian but dont really want to do that. thanks for anything and everything matt
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: no overclocking Reply with quote

mogorman wrote:
ram might be sketchy but i doubt it, it works fine with every other thing i have built and runs every app fine.

The GCC bootstrap process stresses hardware more than any other natural task I have ever seen. For some info on RAM testing procedures, see Segmentation fault with GCC. That thread was part of the inspiration for this FAQ entry.
mogorman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: so if it is ram Reply with quote

so if it is the rams fault and i buy another 256mb stick i have 2 questions what ram would be recommend i have pc2100 slots 184 pin. and 2 can i leave the bad ram in and use it or would i have to ditch it forever?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: so if it is ram Reply with quote

mogorman wrote:
so if it is the rams fault and i buy another 256mb stick

First off, we can't be sure it's RAM, so please make sure (if you can't borrow some), that you buy it somewhere where you can return it if it doesn't help.

Quote:
what ram would be recommend

Sorry, can't help here. Your system is way more advanced than anything I have here.

Quote:
can i leave the bad ram in and use it or would i have to ditch it forever?

If it's really bad, I say ditch it. I have heard of some code that tries to map around bad segments of RAM, but it doesn't sound worth it to me.
mogorman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:37 pm    Post subject: but its usable.... Reply with quote

cant i like take it out for builds and put it back in otherwise?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: but its usable.... Reply with quote

mogorman wrote:
cant i like take it out for builds and put it back in otherwise?

If you want. For me, the stability of Unix is one of its major selling points. I don't have to worry about things crashing down on me or behaving strangely. I wouldn't compromise that for any additional amount of flaky RAM. I guess that's a personal decision, though, and you're the only one who can decide what's more important to you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: