Recovering Crashed Framebuffer Consoles
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wacati
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Recovering Crashed Framebuffer Consoles Reply with quote

Recovering Crashed Framebuffer Consoles

I've read quite a few posts about people using framebuffer for their consoles and coming across crashes, ie, loading up X, closing down X, then seeing a garbled console or just a blank screen (especially with Nvidia's drivers). As I read these posts, I noticed that the way people handled these situations was to just reboot.

Here's a simple method I learned from a friend to recover a crashed framebuffer console:
    1. You will need svgalib.

Code:
emerge svgalib

2. NOTE: You must do this BEFORE your framebuffered console crashes (when your framebuffered console is fine).
    Enter this command in the framebuffered console to save your current framebuffer (you may need to do this as root)

Code:
savetextmode

3. Now, when you find that your framebuffered console has crashed, type this in the console

Code:
textmode

After running the command "textmode", your console will be restored again. No more having to reboot from a crashed console =)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: