Switching to AMD64 ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLFalcone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Switching to AMD64 ? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about switching to an AMD64 platform. After reading some threads in this forum and the install technotes, I have a couple of questions more :

(1) After emerging stuff in a 32bit chroot, can you exec those 32bits apps from a 64bit context (without 'chrooting' anymore) ?

(2) How do you manage to get the macromedia flash plugin working ? Using a 32bit browser ?

Thanks,

JLF
alshain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Switching to AMD64 ? Reply with quote

JLFalcone wrote:
I'm thinking about switching to an AMD64 platform. After reading some threads in this forum and the install technotes, I have a couple of questions more :

(1) After emerging stuff in a 32bit chroot, can you exec those 32bits apps from a 64bit context (without 'chrooting' anymore) ?

(2) How do you manage to get the macromedia flash plugin working ? Using a 32bit browser ?

(1) I think if you have 32bit emulation turned on in your kernel, you've emerged the necessary emulation libraries and set your paths right then you should be able to run programs without chrooting. As an example I set up a 32-bit chroot environment, emerged mplayer and its assorted libraries and then created a directory /usr/local/32bit/ containing lib and bin subdirectories with symlinks to the necessary files. Now I can execute

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/32bit/lib /usr/local/32bit/bin/mplayer <x>

with no problems.

This might be considered a slight overkill - I could have just symlinked to the /usr/local/bin directory but I wanted to make sure I kept the 32-bit and 64-bit files well separated.

(2) Well, I'm learning to live without it at the moment. :D I think the only way to get it working is, as you say, to use a 32-bit browser. In fact, while I'm in the mood I might go and pester Macromedia for a 64-bit version. It seems to me that emerging firefox-bin would be an admission of defeat. :D I nearly gave up but then I found that the 32-bit version of Helix player will work natively, although it looks a hell of a mess, being unable to find necessary gnome libraries. The most important thing is that it will play sound and video. I tried compiling a native version from source, but gave up fairly quickly. :evil: If anyone has manged it then I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

Andrew
JLFalcone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Switching to AMD64 ? Reply with quote

alshain wrote:

(1) I think if you have 32bit emulation turned on in your kernel, you've emerged the necessary emulation libraries and set your paths right then you should be able to run programs without chrooting. As an example I set up a 32-bit chroot environment, emerged mplayer and its assorted libraries and then created a directory /usr/local/32bit/ containing lib and bin subdirectories with symlinks to the necessary files. Now I can execute

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/32bit/lib /usr/local/32bit/bin/mplayer <x>

with no problems.

Can't you chroot to /usr/local/32bit instead and avoid keeping the symlink up to date ?
alshain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Switching to AMD64 ? Reply with quote

JLFalcone wrote:
Can't you chroot to /usr/local/32bit instead and avoid keeping the symlink up to date ?

Hmm... Now why didn't I think of that? 8O

Andrew
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Switching to AMD64 ? Reply with quote

JLFalcone wrote:

Indeed, once the emulation libraries and such are installed you can run 32-bit apps natively(provided you compiled in kernel support for it). I still haven't figured out how to COMPILE 32-bit apps natively though.
Quote:
The steps, for me, were:
1) 32-bit executable support in kernel
2) 32-bit xfree emulation libraries and gtk libs
3) ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86" emerge mozilla-firefox-bin
4) ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86" emerge netscape-flash
5) Borrowing a libstdc++.so from a 32-bit x86 redhat box(macromedia's programs don't like Gentoo's for no apparent reason)

It might be possible to run them in a 64-bit browser, though at the time, firefox didn't have a working 64-bit build anyway.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: