Printing, Sound, SCSI Zip drive and Boot errors
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
axslinger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: Printing, Sound, SCSI Zip drive and Boot errors Reply with quote

These are some issues I'm trying to resolve.

First is printing. I have CUPS and xpdq both installed. The system 'sees' my printer because the proper name comes up in CUPS as a port option. When I send a print job, it just goes into space. The printer never gives any indication that it's getting a print job and cups never returns an error. It basically says it was successful. What now?

Next is SCSI. I have an Adaptec AHA1520. dmesg shows this:
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
aha152x: found ISAPnP AVA-1505A at io=0x140, irq=12
aha152x: BIOS test: passed, detected 1 controller(s)
aha152x: resetting bus...
aha152x0: vital data: rev=3, io=0x140 (0x140/0x140), irq=12, scsiid=7, reconnect=enabled, parity=enabled, synchronous=enabled, delay=1000, extended translation=disabled
aha152x0: trying software interrupt, lost.
aha152x0: IRQ 12 possibly wrong. Please verify.
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2

I only want to use this adapter for my scanner and Zip drive, which both work fine under Win98. General SCSI support and Storage are both compiled into the kernel. First of all, how do I control which IRQ its trying to use? Where is the config kept? Also, what is up with the kmod: error? I looked for a 'scsi_hostadapter' and it doesn't exist. I did an 'alias scsi_hostadapter aha-152x' in my aliases but it didn't help.
What do I need to do next to get my Zip drive and scanner working?

Here I'm completely lost. I compiled in sound support but none of the individual modules because my card isn't listed (Yamaha yf192XG). I followed the Gentoo Desktop Configuration Guide to the 'T' with no success. If I do a lsmod after a reboot I get:
Module Size Used by Not tainted
snd-pcm-oss 36068 0 (unused)
snd-pcm 47936 0 [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-timer 10432 0 [snd-pcm]
snd 25448 0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-pcm snd-timer]

If I try to do a 'modprobe snd-card-ymfpci', I get : /lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/misc/snd-seq-device.o: unresolved symbol snd_device_new_Rba14733d
/lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/misc/snd-seq-device.o: unresolved symbol snd_info_register_Red2ea63e
/lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/misc/snd-seq-device.o: unresolved symbol snd_iprintf_R163a1266
/lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/misc/snd-seq-device.o: unresolved symbol snd_info_create_entry_R01f6f277
/lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/misc/snd-seq-device.o: unresolved symbol snd_info_unregister_R940ce39b
/lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/misc/snd-seq-device.o: unresolved symbol snd_info_free_entry_R12f2cf9f
/lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/misc/snd-seq-device.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/misc/snd-seq-device.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/misc/snd-seq-device.o: insmod snd-card-ymfpci failed

I am completely lost here. I don't even know where to start with the sound.

Lastly, when I do a 'dmesg', the last 6 lines show this:

devfs_register(1): could not append to parent, err: -17
devfs_register(a1): could not append to parent, err: -17

I know this is a pretty tall order! Any help with any of the issues would be appreciated.

Brian
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty ugly. I don't know offhand what's wrong with any of that.
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Printing, Sound, SCSI Zip drive and Boot errors Reply with quote

axslinger wrote:
First is printing. I have CUPS and xpdq both installed. The system 'sees' my printer because the proper name comes up in CUPS as a port option. When I send a print job, it just goes into space. The printer never gives any indication that it's getting a print job and cups never returns an error. It basically says it was successful. What now?

What's your printer model? Some "winprinters" need special drivers to work properly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: